Translate these!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I notice on a Facebook page for selling caravans and motorhomes , nearly everyone says they have a "4 birth" sometimes a "6 birth" .....Who would want a caravan with all that messy action going on ?

That's the one Dave, not seen it for ages. I proof read documents and presentations at work, most common errors are compliment/complement and stationery/stationary. Though I heard once 'so what if I

aya gorra cobbon?

1 come on eat it up or drink it up

2 not quite sure that last word btb 11

3 get of me

Did anyone used to play 'curbey'? Two kids standing on opposite pavements either side of a road and throwing a football at the opposite curb. If it hit the curb and bounced back into the road you got a point (and another shot).

• 3 years later...

Not quite the thread for this, but it will do in place of starting a new one.

Homophones are words spelled differently but pronounced the same - hear instead of here, for example, as I have seen on this forum. This quirk of the wonderful English language makes possible something I have wanted to do for years - construct a sentence of Homophonic words whereby wrong words actually make sense (or thereabouts) when spoken or read. I found that it was not easy to construct such a sentence, mainly because the useful words such as 'the', 'with', 'is', 'as', 'of', and others have no, or few, useful homophones. The example I have put together below took about three hours to compose, and it was hard work. If you read the words as you recognise them you will get through quite quickly, but might not understand what they are replacing, which might then throw you of course.

Eye sore sum pea pull wither fry tend hoarse. Why leech thaw tit moor lie kagoul, sum men tit two bee knot toucan airy incise. But hear fore mention awl eye dears putt four wood, sew mite bee scene cow erring.

• Upvote 1

Do you mean this one Annie?

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It chose me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye kin put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

• Upvote 1

I notice on a Facebook page for selling caravans and motorhomes , nearly everyone says they have a "4 birth" sometimes a "6 birth" .....Who would want a caravan with all that messy action going on ?

• Upvote 6

That's the one Dave, not seen it for ages. I proof read documents and presentations at work, most common errors are compliment/complement and stationery/stationary.

Though I heard once 'so what if I can't spell apocalypse, it's not the end of the world............

• Upvote 4