The colliery was classed as one of the Eastwood Collieries, so probably closer to Eastwood than Watnall.

When I was at Moorgreen Training centre in 1968, I went on a face visit to 66's face in the Waterloo seam. I remember seeing a sign pointing down a roadway off the main return saying "Watnall upcast shaft." But I can't ever remember seeing any shafts round Watnall..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember back in the 1950's when I was at Beauvale Junior school and a classmate invited me to tea.He lived in the Watnall Lodge which is at the entrance to Watnall Hall.His mother was Canadian and

Hi I have only just found this site and forum. To add some information about Watnall Hall....In the sixties I lived in the cottage a couple of doors away from the Queens Head before the houses were b

I was born in Watnall and used to go to Hollygirt  School in Nottingham.  At that time the school had both day girls and boarders and the boarders lived at Watnall Hall and were bused into Nottingham

Moorgreen was one of the "Eastwood Collieries" I don't know a lot about Moorgreen at the moment, haven't researched it as of yet, but if I come across any interesting things, I'll keep you posted.

• Upvote 1

Just been for a walk up to the graves today....took some not very impressive photos...extremely grown over and not easy to get at now.

would you like to share the 'not so impressive' photos?

Cheers

253358_10151603901378641_2127183008_n.jp

316240_10151603901403641_1591482158_n.jp

This is the closest we could get.....Its kinda well overgrown up there.....Will be off to the next field soon and will get some pics of the reservoir steps.

wow. didnt realise it was so overgrown. Im guessing the reservoir was just filled in ? Wonder why.

Reservoirs are buried...not filled in...its like a huge water tank mostly underground...you can usually just see the tops of them....we'll nip up and get some pics soon.

the two driveways formed a semi circle to meet at the Hall. Main drive way nice red gravel you came to Hall side entrance in front of which was a huge lawn where garden parties were held. ... We entered the hall by the back door up worn sandstone steps - our room held chairs and a harmonium which Lady Maud played the hymns on. The gardens were lovely and the picture on the net must be an early one - When I knew the Hall the main front doors opened onto worn flag stones and went forward to a sunken garden down a dozen or so steps. There was a fish pond surrounded by lawn and shrubs - on the left of this a gate to a rose garden of quite some length with standard roses and trees. All these gardens were walled and behind the wall was a large orchard. At the back of the Hall the ground rose steeply, probably had been leveled for the building. Over this lay fields and quite close to the hall a burial ground enclosed by iron railings -- it was the family grave ground.

Take a look at this map of the Hall grounds whilst reading tambourine2's description....it all fits

hall-2.jpg

Reservoirs are buried...not filled in...its like a huge water tank mostly underground...you can usually just see the tops of them....we'll nip up and get some pics soon.

Really? I know the one up Whyburn in Hucknall was underground but what about Moorgreen Res? Thats like a big lake. (sorry Im digressing)

thanks nottyash. Ya learn something new every day . All I know about Moorgreen Res is that the police found my year old Mini upside down in it in 2006 when some kind people knicked it from my drive when i lived in the lovely ilkeston :(

I think the general rule is that water for public consumption has to be protected from risk of pollution once it has been treated. That is why public water reservoirs like Ladybower are open, whereas ones nearer the point of consumption are buried.

Most open reservoirs in the Nottingham area I can think of were canal feeders - the ones at Butterley and Ironville are two other examples, or water management systems for things like mills - like Kings Mill near Mansfield - and water meadows.

There are/were closed reservoirs on Woodborough Rd opposite Porchester Road, on land between the now tram depot Wilkinson St and Radford Rd, and on The Ropewalk, an old pump house or whatever remains there

Thanks for al the info. The picture i have where taken on my old phone show more details of the graves as we climbed over and flattened some of the overgrowth to get to them. I will get them off my laptop tonight and upload them for you.

Think the watertower fits with the steps too

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi I have only just found this site and forum.

To add some information about Watnall Hall....In the sixties I lived in the cottage a couple of doors away from the Queens Head before the houses were built.

My father and his brothers were the directors of F Sisson & Sons, who built the houses.

Prior to the demolition of the hall it was part of Hollygirt School, and used for boarders I think. Before it was demolished I remember trying to wander through the building but is was a bit scary as many of the floors had fallen in.

My mother used to own some metal birds which were part of the original gates.

I'll try to answer any questions if I can

Richard Sisson

• Upvote 3

Welcome richonmc1. Was that Stone Cottage that you lived in? My grandparents lived in the farmhouse between Stone Cottage and the Queens Head,