• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember back in the 1950's when I was at Beauvale Junior school and a classmate invited me to tea.He lived in the Watnall Lodge which is at the entrance to Watnall Hall.His mother was Canadian and

Hi I have only just found this site and forum. To add some information about Watnall Hall....In the sixties I lived in the cottage a couple of doors away from the Queens Head before the houses were b

I was born in Watnall and used to go to Hollygirt  School in Nottingham.  At that time the school had both day girls and boarders and the boarders lived at Watnall Hall and were bused into Nottingham

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin the hidden wartime building was next to the garage owned by my father John Finn Ltd,the building was operational during WW2 right up to the late 50s.My wifes cousins husband was in the RAF and stationed Watnall when ii was about 11years old i saw the soldiers marching down the main road from their barracks across the road from the Royal Oak pub down to the hidden wartime building.

Hi Miss Kolts welcome to the Nottstalgia chatline it sure brings back lots of great memoried i see you were born at Watnall what was the name of the street?.My father built a garage at Watnall across the road from Holly Rd.I knew quite a of people from Watnall and surrounding areas,we lived on Spencer Dr. at Nuthall,look forward to hearing some of your memories of Watnall and Nottingham bye for now Ian Finn Canada.

Hi Darkazana i lived in Nuthall and my father had the garage at Watnall across from Holly rd.he was there from 1955 until 1968 when my mum and dad emigrated to Canada i joined them in 1970.I remember few locals from those days there was PC Rigley the local bobby,Mr and Mrs Smith at thepost office,Mr Farnsworth who had the farm at the corner of Watnall rd. and Trough Lane and Smalleys who had farm on Trough Lane also.I remember climbing onto the garage roof every year to watch the Hucknall Airshow,and memories of the RAF camp and the underground early warning bunker.My father sold the garage to Rod Blanchard the son of George Blanchard who owned the bakery at Watnall, i dont know if he still owns it today.

My father was stationed at Watnall for some time during WWII and also further down the road at a place that was across the M1 from the brickworks Sadly he is now dead and connot tell any stories of as it was. He was something to do with communications but he never spoke much of his war. He had the Italy star and France & Germany star along with the three standard war medals - so he travellled around a bit.

Hi Compo i remember the brickworks at Watnall and saw the demolition crew knock the chimneys down but i can not remember military place near the brick 

works, our fathers were a good source of local history but they never shared too much information its a pity.