Friday night drinkies discussion has lit upon a pub in the entrance to the old Broadmarsh bus station the we can't recollect the name of.

It was on the left as you went from the Sawyers Arms into the Broadmarsh access and it sat behind the C & A building just beyond the posh gents outfitters on the corner (Lister gate I think).

It had a less than wholesome reputation and was bit a violent and a lot of dodgy ladies.

Can anyone remember the name?

Regards

I've walked passed that pub many times years ago. Never had call to try it though.

Same type of construction, but I dont think it was big enough Ian?

If you look in the distance you can see the flat roofed bus station cafe that was there?

Also a favourite with the yanks and a certain type of lady during WW2,

Yes Cliff Ton I used to walk passed the place most days when catching my bus back to Clifton from Peoples college in the late 60's early 70's, remember the bomb site car park on the right just after you had gone passed the pub and the cobblers accross the road? ah the memories are coming back!!

Rog

Here's a view from the opposite direction which sums up the old Broad Marsh area really well.

The flat roof cafe - god knows how many times I've been in there - is on the right.

C & A is on the left with the big flat glass windows, and just to the right of it is the white vertical tower of "The Tower".

The smaller building behind the van in the middle of the shot was a newsagents

Lister Gate is at the end of the road just out of shot.

Yes, always called The Towers but as photo shows no S, as 17/18 yo me and mates went in a few times, more a dare than anything, that, the Sawyers and The Dog and Partridge (the one Vic Station side) were considered "hard pubs" and you were one of the in crowd if you went in (all 9 and a half stone of me) lol

• 9 months later...

I don't remember a fair there in my time either, and I knew that area - because of the bus station - from the early 1960s.

If you look at the photo I linked to in Post no 8, you can see the area where the fair was, although by then it had been built on.

I don't remember a fair there in my time either, and I knew that area - because of the bus station - from the early 1960s.

If you look at the photo I linked to in Post no 8, you can see the area where the fair was, although by then it had been built on.

There were fairs held on Broad Marsh near Weekkday Cross during the war I have a photo of one dated 1943

• 4 weeks later...

the towers i got propertioned outside there one night by a lady of ill repute as i went to catch the bus home to clifton 45 yrs ago

I think you mean propositioned.. :) ...Anyway you can't blame those clippies on the Clifton route having another occupation while the bus was at the terminus.....they didn't earn a lot.... :rolleyes:

Who removed my post ??

I put

I can't believe I fed you another (secondary) punchline Den.

" You didn't mention there was room for two inside !!"

I may have forgot to click on 'Post' after I wrote it. I'm in the bad habit of clicking on the enter key, a la Facebook, at the moment , and may have done that and thought my witty retort had gone online

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Tower - pub