• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

HallLoco2.jpg

Hall heading towards Newark from Lincoln a couple of years ago, picture taken from Thorpe on the Hill L/C

Rog

pacific.jpg

Tornado heading south towards Newark

A1pacific1.jpg

and heading back north later in the day, both pics taken near Muskham Notts

Rog

Saw Dominion of Canada at Doncaster in the early 1950's , re the photos 3 out of 6 Cliffton, 1) is from haflpenny bridge walkway off Park Lane site Old Basford GCR looking North, 4) same site looking South, 5) Annesley Tunnel east side of shoulder of mutton hill, think now part of robin hood line, photo way before that thought of, think they left top on view so as not to loose location!

• Upvote 1

The SIr Nigel was in the NRM when we were there at Christmas - talked to a guy working on it - it is privately owned and has a maintenance crew that travels everywhere with it. He claimed it was NOT fun when they are out on tour as keeping it running is a full time task!

I have some photos of the last Bournemouth -York entering Vic Station, September 1966, hauled by a Class 47, then us departing out of the station, this was the last ever northbound passenger train to leave Vic. The time on the station clock is 17:25. We returned on the York - Banbury parcels ( the only passengers ), picking up the train at Rotherham Central where it was hauled by a B1 steam loco, replaced by a Class 37 at Sheffield Vic. This was the last passenger train to traverse the route from Sheffield, arriving back at Vic at about 22:00, I recall that the ticket collector was well p####d !!

Having not used it for sometime, I'm not able to transfer the pics from Photobucket, help needed please.

Did anyone see that documentary about the Flying Scotsman on BBC2 last night, I mention this as good old FS was shedded at Leicester in the 50's and used regularly on Sheffield-Vic-Marylebone trains, I also have some pics of it in the Nottingham area working steam specials in the 60's, can't transfer those either!

I thought that the programme was awful, it seemed to have been cobbled together from some previous documentary made in 1999. Once again the 'researchers' got it all wrong, FS was not the first and biggest Pacific passenger loco to be built in the UK, that honour went to the GWR 'Great Bear' built 15 years earlier in 1908. Lots of shots pertaining to be the loco that in one case was an LMS Princess Pacific and hilariously, an American steam loco and train, perhaps somebody should have told them as well that LNER coaches tended to be teak finish, apart from the steel specials made for the 'Coronation' and West Riding' and the excursion stock which was green and cream. They also decided to cram the last 40 years of the loco's life into the last 10 minutes of the programme, omitting a mention of the controversial trip to Australia and not really saying much about the problems with it's current, never ending overhaul. If you missed it, don't bother watching it on 'I' Player!!

Glad you told us that - have been looking every half hour to download from Bit Torrent but nobody has put it up - probably think it is not worth it.

re photobucket, should still work, I had not been on it for ages and it did, now upgraded to new version, on this click on thumbnail to get big pic, go to image links, let click IMG link, should say copied then come here and in the reply right click,menu comes up left click paste and url should appear here (think on old version u did not have to go to links, the img already at side of pic there?)

Scan this photo of "Dominion of Canada" on arrival in the UK.She is in pretty rough Shape from being kept outside at the Montreal Rail Museum.Pa133204.jpg

Crew of Mallard at Peterborough after attaining the 126 m.p.h. record on July 3 1938.Left to Right Fireman Bray,Driver Duddington,Loco inspector Jenkins. (Photo; H.M.Hoather).5645061844_7418ed2e86_o.png

• Upvote 1

I've been looking at a railway book in the library with some pictures of the locations mentioned.

On one of them, the caption reads: This was Arnold Road, Highfields.

I took this to mean somewhere near the Arnold Rd / Hucnall Rd Junction, top side of the City Hospital.

But I've never seen the name Highfields on a map or heard it referred to.

Was this area known as Highfields?

The NRM in York is definately a good day out! We have been twice and surprisingly, Mary loves it! The price of admission can't be beat!

I've been looking at a railway book in the library with some pictures of the locations mentioned. On one of them, the caption reads: This was Arnold Road, Highfields.

I took this to mean somewhere near the Arnold Rd / Hucnall Rd Junction, top side of the City Hospital. But I've never seen the name Highfields on a map or heard it referred to.

Maybe, but I've never come across that name for that area. Could it be a mistake for Highbury Vale which is nearby. Depends on who wrote the captions and whether they know the area well.

maybe just local kid's name for the area? guess to local Basford ones up there would be the high fields before it was built on? know there were 2 big apple orchards to the left going up Arnold Rd in GCR area one was full of eaters, the other cookers (more useless information lol), from same source, my dad born at 510 Vernon Rd (said during a zeppelin raid!) in 1916 came another name area I've never heard elsewhere "The 3 Bens" (no "d" in it) seems this referred to original route of The Leen with Big Ben(d) deep enough for proper swimming and diving into it

I've been looking at a railway book in the library with some pictures of the locations mentioned.

On one of them, the caption reads: This was Arnold Road, Highfields.

I took this to mean somewhere near the Arnold Rd / Hucnall Rd Junction, top side of the City Hospital.

But I've never seen the name Highfields on a map or heard it referred to.

As far as I know the area of Highfields is next to Dunkirk Flyover i,e A52 Ring Road and university Boulevard, There used to be Highfields Lido, and Highfields boating lake still remains. From the Flyover head up university boulevard towards Beeston its about 400 yards on the right from the flyover. Don't know of any old railway lines in that immediate area though?