We're all wrong, it's a Modified Hall, given away by the flush frames over the cylinders, the webs on the buffer beam and the slab sided Hawksworth tender that most of them had , though some tenders got transferred to earlier models.The Granges and Manors were built on the frames from withdrawn Class 43XX's and were very similar.A pity I never took the number, it was a Bilborough Grammar School railway society trip, maybe the kid with the notebook that you can see in the photo will read this and let us know.

Here's an early Hall with Hawksworth tender in better days at Teignmouth when I was on holiday in 1962.

scan0009-1.jpg

This is not a Modified Hall

Modified halls were numbered 6959-6999, 7900-7929

What this standard "Hall" has is a "Hawksworth" tender.

The outside steam pipes went higher up the boiler barrel on a modified Hall

The main frames extended to to the buffer beam on a modified hall.

6961.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

An interesting comment, the Western Region had green locos that always seemed polished and well kept, they had lots of brass and cast number plates on the cab that always seem to be gleaming. This is my photo of a Grange Class taken at Crewe South shed in 1965, it's had everything stripped off of it as to be unidentifiable, I presume that someone had chalked the original number on the cabside which was common practice in those days. As you can see it was in steam and in use, but no survivors remain of this useful class even though they lasted until the end of steam on the WR.

scan0019.jpg

This is a "Modified" Hall see above post.

Granges had slightly raised outside frames above the cylinders

6846-PW6-NK0064.jpg

Yes, I've been waiting eagerly for the answers to the quiz as well!

I'll have a guess at the penultimate one, is it the tunnel at Kirkby which was filled in, then dug out again for the opening of the Robin Hood Line?

ChrisB and Phil spot on with their "quiz answers" 2 and 3 were where junction of GNR mainlines and line north to Bulwell Forest joined, Leen Valley Junction Hucknall Rd/Arnold Rd, 4 was opposite view south of no.1 and last was GCR bridge over the trent at Wilford, I did answer these earlier but post went astray?

Bubblewrap

You're getting your knickers in a twist here, I said that the tatty Modified Hall had webs on the buffer beam and that my later photo was of an earlier Hall with a Hawksworth tender.

Hawksworth tenders found their way on to several classes including Castles and Counties.

To get back on track, so to speak, go on YouTube and look up www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvPRfkpS1A Archive Steam at Nottingham Victoria, it's been published on here before and shows 6911 Holker Hall ( not of the Modified variety and with a standard tender ) being rescued from derailment on the south end turntable at Vic by a B1.

ChrisB and Phil spot on with their "quiz answers" 2 and 3 were where junction of GNR mainlines and line north to Bulwell Forest joined, Leen Valley Junction Hucknall Rd/Arnold Rd, 4 was opposite view south of no.1 and last was GCR bridge over the trent at Wilford, I did answer these earlier but post went astray?

The posts didn't go astray, they just got shunted back in the thread.

I answered them at the time, and I think I got 50% correct. Go back to Post #150 to see my answers and Post #156 to see Ashley's reply.

re 233 Leen Valley Junction was quite a busy place. The most unusual locos there were London & North Western 0-8-0's "Super D". They came up the GNR/LNWR joint line from Northampton.

Bubblewrap

You're getting your knickers in a twist here, I said that the tatty Modified Hall had webs on the buffer beam and that my later photo was of an earlier Hall with a Hawksworth tender.

Hawksworth tenders found their way on to several classes including Castles and Counties.

To get back on track, so to speak, go on YouTube and look up www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvPRfkpS1A Archive Steam at Nottingham Victoria, it's been published on here before and shows 6911 Holker Hall ( not of the Modified variety and with a standard tender ) being rescued from derailment on the south end turntable at Vic by a B1.

Sorry I must learn to read all of the post before I went in with both feet

8th August 1964 Leicester to Skegness summer Saturdays only.9F 92030 in charge of a 12 coach express. (M. D. portperrycarshow2003250.jpg?t=1363387349.)

Brian, really good photo' of a great loco with the Vic Clock Tower and hotel in the background. Wht was the name on the Train Board displayed on front of the loco? I assume it was a Special, and what date was this taken?

It was the RCTS East Midlander No.7 on 9 May 1964. The departure time was 7:35am the photo was taken just before then. 46251 took the 12 coach train to Didcot, it was then replaced by 34038 LYNTON to Eastleigh for a visit to the works, then Swindon via Salisbury for the works there, after whitch 46251 returned to take the train back to the Vic. getting back at just after 10:30pm.

A great day.

Pete

Thanks for sharing your images of those last steam trains from Victoria Station Nottingham, for others to enjoy. :)

Even after all this time it's difficult to comprehend that one minute it was a living, breathing, working railway, doing a job, providing a service.

Then the next minute, it was gone!

Sad thing is 'City of Nottingham' was offered to the council on it's withdrawal, just as 'City of Birmingham' was offered to theirs. City of Birmingham was obtained by the city council and put in a museum, NCC refused to take C of N saying that they hadn't got anywhere to put it, then opened the industrial museum at Wollaton Park. At least they obtained a nameplate, but due to the closure of the industrial museum, no-one can see that either, or has the industrial museum now reopened.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooops, I've been trying for some time to post these pics& I'm not sure now how I've done but they're here prompted by a 'mention' somewhere in the posts to these excellent photos. (albeit a lot of LNER!) I have a particular memory of this engine as I was a Midland Fireman for almost 16 years either side of 1950s and one day in, I think, May 1956 my driver & I were sent to Derby Shops to collect No 1000 resplendant in her old Midland Rly. colours and destined never to return to general traffic, special excursions only & eventually to retirement in York Museum.The "before" picture shows her in Nottm. Midland Stn, a few months previously