• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

living in netherfield very near the railway sheds the trains had to pass the bottom of our terrace to get to the sheds used to love to siton the sleeper fence of the bottom house mrs moseberry to wach them going by especially when they had the mallard royal scotchman ect comming by.

• 2 weeks later...

Gresley A4 Dominion of Canada after it's repaint joined sister A4 Locomotives "Mallard" and "Dwight D. Eisenhower" in the National Railway Museum York Englandarticle-0-1A0FF642000005DC-990_964x648.j

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a picture of a train but one of a ticket that I have just found when looking through my parents old stuff .

I was surprised :

a) because it was the Conservative organised tour and my grandad was a railwayman who I wouldnt have thought was that way inclined ....and

b) I didn't look at the name and assumed it was my grandma travelling .

When scanning it , realised it was my Mum travelling , who would only have been 16 at the time . Looking at the connections at 3.18am in the morning etc. it must have been quite a daunting 3 day trip for a teenager . Looks like a 14 hour trip on the train back from Newhaven to Nottingham .

Can't remember my mum ever saying anything about this trip .

9053187494_5f05f37bd7_b.jpg

9050957205_848be069da_b.jpg

Fascinating - presumably the final arrival in Nottingham 2.35 am was a misprint - they would have needed more than breakfast to sustain them from half past eight in the morning until half past two the following morning! 6 hours sounds more probable than 18 - and ties up with 5.30 to 11.23 on the outward trip.

Agreed.....unless it was a very very bad Sunday service ?

• 3 weeks later...

Re #171 ChrisB is correct. The area from the City Hospital up to Arnold Rd behind the Co-op, and the land on the other side of Arnold Rd where the new housing estate replaced High Pavement School used to be referred to Highfields. The Community Centre near the Co-op I think is called Highfields CC.

Re Heathfield, a mates parents ran the Heathfield Pub in the early 60s and you could feel throbbing underneath the bar. I don't know which line ran nearest, I presume it was the main line to Vic.

There is a company called Alan Godfrey Maps publishing old Ordnance Survey maps. I've just got 38.05 Bulwell 1913 which just misses this area. However, Old Basford 1913 is currently in production. That should show everything.

Re Heathfield, a mates parents ran the Heathfield Pub in the early 60s and you could feel throbbing underneath the bar. I don't know which line ran nearest, I presume it was the main line to Vic.

Haven't been around that area recently, and the Heathfield seems to have turned into a shop. But when it was there it was surrounded by railways lines; the GC, the GN, and various connecting links; so it's not surprising it was a noisy place.

heath.jpg

Just driven past and noticed the Comm Centre is called Leen Valley, after Leen Valley Junction i presume, but I'm sure that's Highfields area.

I reckon the GNR mainline was nearest the heathfield pub, thought that before I saw the map, recall the bridge under Arnold Rd which was just east of the pub, The Sanatorium marked on the map was later (1930ish) known as The Nottingham Isolation Hospital, my uncle was in there with scarlet fever and remembered the all night long coal trains. For anyone not old enough to have seen the routes alot can still be traced via the odd different later houses built between the original council housing plus some remains of embankments etc etc on or just off Arnold Rd.

From Leen Valley Junction (below the number 250 on Cliff Ton's map) the line which goes under the bridge at Hucknall Rd/Arnold Rd junction is just about all still intact, well the trackbed is, all the way down to Moor Bridge.

in fact, isn't it some sort of trail or public walkway?

The walkway goes all the way to Hucknall (to where the line to Calverton branched off), then continues from Linby to Newstead. Further on (after a long gap) it continues from Sutton to Pleasley and Teversal.

Most of the route of the GNR mainline can be walked without using roads from Mapperley Tunnel to Cinderhill Rd with the exception of crossing Mansfield Rd at site of Daybrook Station, and Basford North station site to where the footpath crosses the robin hood/tram line, the line north from Leen Valley Junction is similar, but lots built on, site of Bulwell Forest station, Rigleys etc plus bridges removed, "Marble Arch" and others

Most of the route of the GNR mainline can be walked without using roads from Mapperley Tunnel to Cinderhill Rd with the exception of crossing Mansfield Rd at site of Daybrook Station, and Basford North station site to where the footpath crosses the robin hood/tram line, the line north from Leen Valley Junction is similar, but lots built on, site of Bulwell Forest station, Rigleys etc plus bridges removed, "Marble Arch" and others

Not all of it can be walked - unless you fancy scrambling over my back fence into my garden.

Which the dog might object to. :)

I remember "Marble Arch", I'm probably missing something very obvious but why the name?

Sarcasm! it was red brick. I went through it twice a day going to High Pavement.

Thinking more about "Marble Arch" it must have been there before Bestwood Estate was built, other GNR bridges were also red brick, they did not wear as well as the Blue brick ones. I presume there was a farm originally when the bridge was built.

Cliff Ton,

It ran between Hucknall Rd and Bestwood Estate.

If you were to follow Hucknall Rd past the Sanatorium marked on the map you go down into a dip with a Zebra crossing, on your right is a gap in the embankment the bridge crossed that gap.

Oh and by the way your arrow points to a line of house's that used to contain a shop. The Heathfield was the smaller square building nearer to the junction.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have found this site very usefull of late. Together with another guy we are trying to recreate the Nottingham Victoria to Derby Friargate railway line in a computer simulator Railworks TS2013, and you guys have provided a wealth of information that we have found very usefull.

I have found images on other sites too and was wondering if you were aware of this chaps Flickr sets. He has recently digitised his fathers photo collection from old photos, no negatives exist, so some are poor images but worth it for the subject material alone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/sets/

There are lots of Nottingham railway images amongst them,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/8704419709/sizes/c/in/set-72157633062108348/

Brian

Thinking more about "Marble Arch" it must have been there before Bestwood Estate was built, other GNR bridges were also red brick, they did not wear as well as the Blue brick ones. I presume there was a farm originally when the bridge was built.

Looking at OS maps, there were always bridges at this spot. I suspect they were rebuilt around the same time as Moor Bridge (1938-9) as part of a major upgrade of Hucknall Road and Arnold Road.