Great times spent there !

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

Trent station main purpose was to enable people to change trains.
Trains going directly to Sheffield missing Derby or trains from Sheffield to Leicester missing Derby would call at Trent & people could catch a train to Derby or Nottingham

The closure & demolition of Victoria station + the closure of the whole Great Central was one of the greatest crimes that  befell Nottingham  :( 

• Like 2

Some young people don't realize there was a station there in the first place after all its more than fifty years since it's demise :(
To have any real memories  of Victoria station you have to be getting on for sixty

• Like 2

As I've said previously, the biggest piece of desecration ever in this city. Oh that the route was available nowadays.

DJ360 might correct me if I'm wrong but beneath Liverpool there are five underground railway stations which connect to main line stations.

so simple & so good, better than our rubbish tram system.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look like anything near Moorbridge that I recall.  I can understand the Arnold Rd idea, but the angle of road c.f. track looks too much for Arnold Rd.  But then there were two Arnold Rd bridges.

One crossed the Leen Valley Line between the Arnold Rd/Andover Rd. Gainsford Crs. junction... between it and Hucknall Rd. There would have been little building on the road around 1937.  The next was the bridge over the track from Basford Northern (Basford and Bulwell) to Leen Valley Junction... just past Sunrise Avenue, off Arnold Rd.

The 'new' bit of Arnold Rd from Hucknall Rd out to Edward's Lane was I think mostly post WW2.  The bit from Hucknall Rd down towards Basford Crossings was built up much earlier. I think even Heathfield Est. was built pre war.

So. in short.  I dunno....but I reckon most of the lines around the area were built  pre 1900... the GC being the last.

:)

I've had this discussion on a couple of other sites.  It was definitely the Golden Key.  A tiny pub... next door, or very close to the Moulin Rouge cinema.

I believe the Cross Keys was further down into 'town' Byard Lane I believe.

Struggling to find a pic.  Mal put one on 'Nottingham Way Back When' a while back, mainly of the old Moulin Rouge  'Dirt Mac' cinema, but it also showed the Golden Key.  Another source for licensees in the 1890s lists: 

Arthur Edward Rippin, Golden key, 29 Milton Street

I'm now confused as to where Mansfield Road ends and Milton St starts. Main reason I don't participate much in discussion of old city centre stuff is because I simply don't remember that much. It's 48 years since I spent much time there.  But I used to come home from college with a friend on Fridays around 1966.  We'd have a couple of games of snooker somewhere around Shakespeare St way and then a couple in the Golden Key before he got his bus up to Carlton way and I got mine to Bestwood Est. Before Bob first suggested it, I don't think it had even registered with me that there was a pub there.  It was so tiny.  But I do remember a golden key over a doorway even from being small. I used to look out for it from the top floor of the bus.

Nearest I can find.  The cinema before it was the Moulin Rouge. Pub next door but tantalisingly the name isn't visible.

https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/NTGM019076/posterid/NTGM019076.html

Here you go.  Moulin-Rouge.jpg

Not easy, but with a magnifier you can make out the pub name and the Golden Key symbol laid horizontally just below it.

And found this from Cliff-ton in another thread.

b2S8Dzf.jpg

• Like 1

How appropriate - there's a customer at the Moulin Rouge box office wearing a mac....       

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say most of it was dug out using those steam shovels,no need to blast,the sand stone is pretty soft around Nottingham, don't forget nearly all the tunnels and dwellings were dug out using simple hand tools for the most part

Rog

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Train, what a fantastic film,  Burt Lancaster and Jeanne Moreau play superb parts. The railway scenes so well done, even a scene pouring a white metal bearing. 

Love it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

More TA going to annual camp.

2014-003.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2