• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

The RCTS mystery photos site also has lots of photos of the Nottingham area

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/

You need to do a search on each location you are interested in, which can be quite laborious, but there is a wealth of material there.

That site has been referenced a lot on here, especially by me.

A couple of shots of Dominion of Canada in primer C.P. bell back in place double chimney removed replaced with originol single stack.The great gathering will be at York 3rd-17th July when all six locomotives will be on show the second gathering will be 26th October till 8th November.8600529136_eee2561f5e_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

The line through Daybrook was very busy before Mapperley tunnel was closed. The train going through the "rat hole" would almost certainly have gone through Daybrook before the tunnel closure. Very few freight trains went through the rat hole then, they were going to Colwick.

Yes can believe that given the bottleneck either end at Victoria, As it's just over 50 years since the Beeching report was published imagine what would have happened locally if the powers that be knew what the future was? Would the same course of action, closures etc been followed? OR if all were there today as per 1963 what would you have done? closed, diverted, rearranged etc? Would the lot have gone? certain cuts made? would we have had the tram? the Robin Hood line? even the NSR reopened? over to Sir Richard! lol

My Dad was a regular through Basford and its environs when he was at Colwick, he often used to tell me about how they nearly lost a loco at Weekday Cross Junction back in 1965. He said that he did an 8 hour shift just sat on "Spike Bank" at Colwick just waiting for the road to get out of the yard to head for Stanton Ironwork's He said all trains by that time had to exit Colwick Yard via Colwick East to head North West. After the 8 hours there was no relief crew so they had to work the train, he said it was an eventful trip until they were due to return light back to Colwick when the Guard had contacted control only to be told they were to pick up a loaded train from Bestwood Colliery and return to Colwick. There loco was an Austerity WD 2-8-0 one of Colwick's finest! steam coming out of everywhere and on its last legs! After the third run up the hump out of Bestwood they were heading for home. On the run into Victoria my Dad had to jump off (with Mash cans) and book the train in (Nottm Vic North Box). Once back on the loco he then put the bag in and filled the tender right up. Then it was time to play the waiting game.......he recalls being woken up by the popping of whistles and looking out saw they had the road, giving the driver a nudge as he too was sound asleep my Dad peered into what should be a bright fire-hole.....nothing but grey cinders! Quick as a flash the driver snatched the shovel from my Dad and threw a few rounds on and whompf the fire took hold. In all the commotion to get the train on the move the pressure gauge crept up and was almost on the red line. As they past beneath Parliament Street past South Box the safety valves lifted as they continued into Weekday Cross Tunnel. With the loco blowing off furiously my Dad went to put the injector on and whoosh nothing, he tried again and again, nothing but steam she wasn't picking up water so he tried the drivers side......same thing happened, even the driver had ago. By now the gauge glass was showing water just above the bottom nut things were now getting serious if the water level dropped any further then the fusible plugs would drop and the cab would be filled with scalding steam and the contents of the firebox. What seemed to be a lifetime they were soon back in daylight and out of the tunnel, the train bought to a stand where the driver instructed my Dad to "up top" and check the tender whilst he sorted out a "wrong line working ticket" issued from Weekday Cross Junction to return back to Nottingham Vic for water. There was very little time for the Driver to walk back and meet the Guard so my Dad did the honors for which the Guard knew what was occurring and called the train back. Once back in the Station area midst the amusement of the other crews the tender was duly filled to the brim and they were allowed to carry on forward to back home to Colwick. As my dad didn't have a regular mate he didn't see that driver again until 2 weeks later, he ask the driver what had become of the loco and of them being in trouble as he hadn't heard anything else of the incident, the driver responded in a reassuring manner to say that the tender had a crack in the bottom of it that must have propagated during their journey and it wasn't their fault so nothing more was said, but he did say after all of that he must have been pleased with all the overtime that he had earned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

another picture, birthday card in this case but its one for the railway buffs. pre rebuild, 'cow bell' "express lamp" code but a mixed set of coaches for an express?

Is it a photo? I know the engine is fact because I fired on it in the early sixties when it was a "Nottingham" engine, if I remember rightly "Derbyshire Yeomanry" still retained the straight boiler as original..

I think the card might be from a painting. I also think that the loco is LMS 6100 "Royal Scot" before rebuilding, it got the bell when it visited the USA. It is also shown with a Stanier tender. Didn't the unrebuilt Patriot class retain Fowler tenders?

The train is also passing over water troughs in either Cumbria or Scotland. Note the spray under the tender.

If it is from a painting, the artists name might be on the back of the card.

Nice picture.

Can't be sure, but it looks to me like a painting done from a photograph (with the hay cart scene added in by the artist) rather than a colourised photograph.

Yes, I would have said the Lune Gorge - between Lancaster and Carlisle.

It is 6100 'Royal Scot', as it has the nameplate on the smokebox, and as BulwellBrian says, it has the bell it received when it visited America in the early 1930s. So that dates the scene - maybe mid-1930s.

What makes it somewhat relevant here is that 'Royal Scot' (in rebuilt form) was shedded at Nottingham towards the end of its BR career, and of course it then spent some time at Butlin's, Skegness, before being returned to steam.

'The Derbyshire Yeomanry' (no. 45509) was a 'Patriot' or 'Baby Scot', so called because in appearance they were smaller versions of the original 'Royal Scot' class.

All the 'Royal Scots' were rebuilt by 1954 into the form shown in the photo of 'Scots Guardsman' below which I took at Haworth on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway back in the 1960s when it was newly-preserved. Many of the 'Baby Scots' were rebuilt similarly, but 'Derbyshire Yeomanry' would have been one still in its original form.

46115atHaworth1960s_zps375184c8.jpg

Scots Guardsman at Willesdon Shed in early 1964, out of steam and unloved, along with the last of the Coronation Class Pacifics that we saw that day, courtesy of a Bilborough Grammar School Railway Society trip in the pouring rain.

wil1.jpg

It's interesting to note the picture of Scots Guardsman at Haworth, I didn't know that it was originally taken there, I saw it at Dinting shed in the early 70's along with the GCR 04, now at Loughborough.

The yellow diagonal line applied to the cabside was supposed to denote that the loco couldn't operate under the electrified wires south of Crewe, this was applied to a variety of classes including Jubilees, Coronations, 4F's, even some ER Pacifics, supposedly because of the chimney clearance below the wires. Funny how they can now operate under electrified wires on steam specials without any problems.

Looking at my old Ian Allen shed book of Summer 1960, the Royal Scots allocated to Nottingham, 16A, were 46100/12/18 and 46157. These were moved to the Midland Lines from the WCML and others were spread between Kentish Town, Leeds Holbeck, Sheffield Millhouses and Manchester Longsight, odd that none were allocated to Derby at the time.

Royal Scot was removed from it's home at Bressingham, Norfolk a few years ago for restoration, I gather it had a few problems including a fire on a low loader and hasn't been running, does anyone know what has become of it.

Ooh, just found this:- www.flickr.com/photos/mikealaska/4585813917/lightbox/

It's interesting to note the picture of Scots Guardsman at Haworth, I didn't know that it was originally taken there, I saw it at Dinting shed in the early 70's along with the GCR 04, now at Loughborough.

According to information I've found, 'Scots Guardsman' was withdrawn by BR on 1st January 1966, and reached Dinting in May 1969. I can't really date my photo except to say it was probably 1966 or 1967, as it was taken with my old Brownie 127 camera, and I'd begun using an Instamatic by 1968.

Looking at my old Ian Allen shed book of Summer 1960, the Royal Scots allocated to Nottingham, 16A, were 46100/12/18 and 46157. These were moved to the Midland Lines from the WCML and others were spread between Kentish Town, Leeds Holbeck, Sheffield Millhouses and Manchester Longsight, odd that none were allocated to Derby at the time.

I guess it may have been because, despite Derby's general railway importance and main works, there were comparatively few important trains that started or finished there. Most were St Pancras - Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds or Bradford - plus the Thames Clyde of course.

I do remember on one occasion going for a hike in Derbyshire with two mates from school (about 1962 I guess) and finding a Scot at the head of three-coaches forming the slow 10.30 Derby - Manchester (all stations from Duffield to Chinley).

"Royal Scot "6100 (alias No. 6152) Midland Station Nottingham.1934 just back from the tour of the United States and Canada where it crossed the Rockies unaided(on the Canadian Pacific Rails). portperrycarshow2003265.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Royal Scot is suffering from the Flying Scotsman syndrome , it's an old girl that's structurally knackered and needs a lot of money spending on it to put it right.

At the moment it's sitting in bits at Crewe with an unclear future, unlike Flying Scotsman, it isn't exactly the apple of the public's eye and unlikely that the NRM will put money into it's rejuvenation, as it's privately owned, besides, they are talking about another year before the problems with Flying Scotsman are resolved, how many times have we heard that!

Dominion of Canada now in blue undercoat and ready for a finish gloss coat of "Garter Blue".Soon be ready for "Mallard 75" at York on July 3--17 2013.8635513940_3a927fd612_z.jpg

"Mallard" and "Dwight D. Eisenhower" in National Railway Museum York England in March this year.Getting ready for "The Great Gathering" in July when six Gresley A4 will be on show at the Museum.proxy_storify_com.jpg