I've all of Alf's books on the Great Northern in the East Midlands. Fantastic books absolutely crammed with superb pictures, maps, track diagrams, and information. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A junior boy’s memory. In the late 40s, one Saturday morning, this young lad and his brother would be squeezed into a taxi along with baby brother’s pram and all the luggage plus mam and dad and

A P.Bucket test? or a rail photo with a difference. It was so difficult to do I didn't have the heart to break it up so I framed it!

These are sort of railway pictures,the new pedestrian footbridge over the railway at Lincoln,it will save the students having to wait at the level crossing

P1070309.jpg

P1070310.jpg

Rog

• Upvote 1

It looks like a giant Venus Fly Trap, and would instantly consume anyone walking over it.

• Like 1

In the early 60s my school friend and I would climb over the wall and explore the abandoned station. Trains still ran through and it was a bit spooky when they rumbled out the tunnels. My pal used to say the house above the Sherwood Rise portal was haunted. It would certainly have shook at bit when trains were running underneath. We got a good telling off and had our names and addresses taken by a policeman who caught us one day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Likewise Mess. We'd cycle there after school (FFGS) and stay till about 6. We were often told off by the signalman, but he gave up eventually.

I used to train spot at Carrington Station from about 1960 to 1965. The gate by the shop (old station house) was invariably open so you could just walk in. We generally stayed on the higher ground behind the signal box and out of view of the signalman - so never got into trouble! My regret is I never took a camera - all the B1s, V2s, Jubilees, Royal Scots, Black 5s, O4s, 8Fs, Austerities and 9Fs.... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Tim in the North East said:

all the B1s, V2s, Jubilees, Royal Scots, Black 5s, O4s, 8Fs, Austerities and 9Fs.... 

Whooosh....

11 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Likewise Mess. We'd cycle there after school (FFGS) and stay till about 6. We were often told off by the signalman, but he gave up eventually.

Hi FLY2,

What years were you at FFGS?

I was there 1961-6 and lived on Russell Rd. I was in a band in 1965/6 and we used to practice in the hall under High Church St. Methodist church.

Happy days.

I was there from 57-62. The early years were OK, but 60-62 were abysmal. I lived on Bridlington st opposite the Blue Star Garage on Alfreton Rd till 60. Then Truro Crescent, behind the Capitol Cinema till 64. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 2:05 AM, IAN123. said:

Weekday Cross seemed to sit awkwardly..but it was great engineering given the terrain.30474122.jpgRailway arches and the new..Newdigate House?

Thanks, I think that is the signal box I mentioned before.. Pear St in the early 1900's..roughly a third was lost to the viaduct..there's a picture around 1910 of Pear St..Mr Flint renting lodging..signal can be seen. Another pic is after the clearance of Sussex St the resourceful Flint is renting out cart's. My GGGGF grandfather lived here. In the 1840-50's the area is about 60-40 Irish. Many other non Nottingham transient poor people. Makes me understand why future generations stayed within a stones throw of each other.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

What year was that ian i?   say around 1955/56

1947 I believe Mary. The Trent couldn't take the tremendous amount of rainfall that we'd had, and many low lying areas were flooded.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, FLY2 said:

1947 I believe Mary. The Trent couldn't take the tremendous amount of rainfall that we'd had, and many low lying areas were flooded.

True, my Mum lived down Queens Grove, a street that ran down the side of the Grove Pub, which is now Vat & Fiddle and of course very close to the Midland Station.  Their piano was floating up on the ceiling during the 1947 floods. 

• Upvote 1

Mary, I seem to recall that years ago, there was a whole edition of the Bygones paper, that was devoted entirely to the 47 floods.

Maybe there's a Bygones website, which would be worth a look.

I'm afraid I haven't time, as I'm off later for a few days to wifi less Northumberland. (OK you buggers, stop cheering. I'll know who you are, as my spies will tell me) LOL

Hope you'll enjoy your trip up north (east) FLY.   I expect it will be a little damp (unless flaming June returns) but remember the little rhyme...

Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot,

we'll wether the weather whatever the weather,

whether we like it or not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Exactly Margie, it's a short freebie and I don't care what the weather does. The car is full from flip flops to waterproofs.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Hope you'll enjoy your trip up north (east) FLY.   I expect it will be a little damp (unless flaming June returns) but remember the little rhyme...

Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot,

we'll wether the weather whatever the weather,

whether we like it or not.

Where on Earth do you get these pearls of wisdom Margie ? Said it before and I'll  say it again, I'm walking with giants, ( metaphorically)

22 minutes ago, Brew said:

I thought a 'wether' was a castrated ram.

That is correct, Brew.  I think it probably  should be 'weather' (meaning  withstand?) and not 'wether'

I stand corrected..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the last Virgin HST's before LNER took over the East Coast Mainline, seen here at Newark Northgate

P1050522.jpg

Same with the class 91 electric loco sets, both heading north to Edinburgh

P1050523.jpg

Rog

• Like 1