I have been reading, through the various posts on "Nottstalgia" about law and order in Nottingham. Surely it is not that bad, especially in the Meadows?

Murders, robbery, drugs, violence and so on. . . It breaks my heart to read those reports. On my last visit "Home" in 2005 I noticed in my part of The Meadows, boarded up houses, shops, it was not the same place I grew up in, What has happened????.

Its pretty hard to put your finger on one cause as there isn't one cause. Its a whole series of problems that have festered for years. It would take volumes to explain where its all went wrong. I was born and raised in old Radford. It was a poor working class area but a fine place where the men worked at Players, Raleigh, Boots or the ROF and the women scrubbed the steps and kept house. Everyone knew one and other. Now its not safe to walk down the road where I was born. Poor Policing policies in recent years cannot be blamed but it aint helped. I moved to the country and live in a wonderful peaceful village where I know all my neighbours and they know me and we all speak the same language. And I am not racist at all and in fact think that racism against the 'Windrush' generation of West Indians is to blame for problems like the 'Medders' and Stanns has had.

Nottinghamshire Constabulary was established in 1840.

The following year it absorbed Retford Borough Police.

In 1947 it absorbed Newark-on-Trent Borough Police.

In 1965, Nottinghamshire Constabulary had an establishment of 1,026 officers and an actual strength of 798.

In 1968 it amalgamated with Nottingham City Police to form Nottinghamshire Combined Constabulary.

On April 1, 1974 it was reconstituted as Nottinghamshire Police under the Local Government Act 1972.

Proposals made by the Home Secretary in March 2006 would have seen the force merge with the other four East Midlands forces to form a strategic police force for the entire region. However, in July 2006 the proposed merger was cancelled.

In June 2006, the force was declared effective and efficient by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) after five years of intense scrutiny.

In 2009, a performance assessment carried out by the government ranked the force as the third worst in the country.

In March 2010, the HMIC rated the force as 'poor' in three reviewed areas of, 'Local Policing', 'Confidence' and 'Protecting from Harm'. Nottinghamshire Police were the only force in England & Wales to receive such a rating. Although the HMIC did not attempt to place the 43 police forces in England & Wales in a directly comparable league table (due to difficulties in comparing a large city force with a small rural force), Nottinghamshire Police did give the HMIC cause for concern. The media portrayed the analysis as showing the force as the 'worst in England & Wales'.

When I told my teenage grandson that I was born in the Meadows he whistled respectfully and said, 'Cool!'

I`m a bit ashamed to say that I swaggered a little.

I wonder what he was imagining............. :unsure:

• Like 1

"Is Nottingham that bad?" Nah, it's just that everywhere else has gone soft,

I can remember a time when you couldn't get into Nottingham unless you had half a tab missing

Rog

• Upvote 1

Your'e not wrong there Cliff Ton,

Seriously though I'm glad I don't live there any more, it's certainly not the city I grew up in, all the idendity has been lost or absorbed into other cultures

Rog

"Is Nottingham that bad?" Nah, it's just that everywhere else has gone soft,

I can remember a time when you couldn't get into Nottingham unless you had half a tab missing

Rog

Does anybody else remember Dave OneTab? He used to drink in the Exchange 30 years ago.He was a 'butcher' and used to sell meat in there, better not to ask where it came from.

Ah!! The Exchange, now there was a pub. I walked in the back bar one night, and a guy tried to sell my Mrs a red leather jacket, she tried it on, it didn't fit her. Another guy saw her try it on and bought it for his girlfriend.

The seller left, and a minute later a guy came back from the gents, saw this girl wearing his leather jacket that he had left on his chair, and demanded it back.

Had a very similar situation happen at the Arriba when I was on the door once. A bloke was banging on the door demanding to be let in, (It was after all a private members club) and I had the devils own job stopping him barging the door , he calmed down a bit and told me that some one in our establishment had his girl friends coat and was going to try and flog it!!

We found the bloke, and he wouldn't leave (Absolutely petrified!) in the end we had to carry him kicking and screaming down to the lobby where he quite happily waited for the police to come and arrest him !!

It later transpired that the who wanted the coat back was some big name boxer of the time (His name escapes me now)

And if you think its bad in Nottingham?...

Thanks to Stan for this item.

The following is allegedly a true story. It is a fair bet this is genuine or at least written by someone with inside knowledge!

This is a genuine complaint to Greenock Police Force from an angry member of the public. A true email sent to the force, lengthy but brilliantly written.....

Dear Sir/Madam/Automated telephone answering service,

Having spent the past twenty minutes waiting for someone at Greenock police station to pick up a telephone I have decided to abandon the idea and try e-mailing you instead.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass this message on to your colleagues in Greenock, by means of smoke signal, carrier pigeon or Ouija board.

As I'm writing this e-mail there are eleven failed medical experiments (I think you call them youths) in Mathie Crescent, which is just off Mathie Road in Gourock.

Six of them seem happy enough to play a game which involves kicking a football against an iron gate with the force of a meteorite. This causes an earth shattering CLANG! which rings throughout the entire building. This game is now in its third week and as I am unsure how the scoring system works, I have no idea if it will end any time soon.

The remaining five failed-abortions are happily rummaging through several bags of rubbish and items of furniture that someone has so thoughtfully dumped beside the wheelie bins. One of them has found a saw and is setting about a discarded chair like a beaver on ecstasy pills.

I fear that it's only a matter of time before they turn their limited attention to the caravan gas bottle that is lying on its side between the two bins. If they could be relied on to only blow their own arms and legs off then I would happily leave them to it. I would even go so far as to lend them the matches. Unfortunately they are far more likely to blow up half the street with them and I've just finished decorating the kitchen.

What I suggest is this - after replying to this e-mail with worthless assurances that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with, why not leave it until the one night of the year (probably bath night) when there are no mutants around then drive up the street in a Panda car before doing a three point turn and disappearing again. This will of course serve no other purpose than to remind us what policemen actually look like.

I trust that when I take a claw hammer to the skull of one of these throwbacks you'll do me the same courtesy of giving me a four month head start before coming to arrest me.

I remain your obedient servant

???????

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr ??????,

I have read your e-mail and understand your frustration at the problems caused by youths playing in the area and the problems you have encountered in trying to contact the police.

As the Community Beat Officer for your street I would like to extend an offer of discussing the matter fully with you. Should you wish to discuss the matter, please provide contact details (address / telephone number) and when may be suitable.

Regards

PC ???????

Community Beat Officer

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear PC ???????

First of all I would like to thank you for the speedy response to my original e-mail.

16 hours and 38 minutes must be a personal record for Greenock Police Station, and rest assured that I will forward these details to Norris McWhirter for inclusion in his next Guinness book.

Secondly I was delighted to hear that our street has its own Community Beat Officer. May I be the first to congratulate you on your covert skills? In the five or so years I have lived in Mathie Crescent , I have never seen you. Do you hide up a tree or have you gone deep undercover and infiltrated the gang itself? Are you the one with the acne and the moustache on his forehead or the one with a chin like a wash hand basin? It's surely only a matter of time before you are head-hunted by MI5 to look for Osama.

Whilst I realise that there may be far more serious crimes taking place in Gourock, such as smoking in a public place or being Christian without due care and attention, is it too much to ask for a policeman to explain (using words of no more than two syllables at a time) to these pillocks that they might want to play their strange football game elsewhere?

The pitch on Larkfield Road or the one at Battery Park are both within spitting distance, as is the bottom of the Gourock Dock, the latter being the preferred option especially if the tide is in.

Should you wish to discuss these matters further you should feel free to contact me on <???????>. If after 25 minutes I have still failed to answer, I'll buy you a large one in Monty's Pub.

Regards

?????????

P.S If you think that this is sarcasm, think yourself lucky that you don't work for the sewerage department with whom I am also in contact !!!

• 1 month later...

i am a cb breaker who cant stand those cb breakers who use burners and 50 foot aerials. my aerial is 10 foot and a 4 watt cb rig, unlike the illegal breakers who use over 100 watts and 50 foot aerials deserve to get reported to ofcom. believe me alot on 26 mhz 27 mhz use burners and 50 ft aerials.

i am a cb breaker who cant stand those cb breakers who use burners and 50 foot aerials.

Call the CB Police!

Phil, Iron Cross... Got yer ears on Good Bud.

Copy this one got a fix on Termite's 20?

Is that a 4?

Welcome Termite, tell us more about yer rig.

Yer pushing me 30+ over here, Are you sure yer legal.

• 4 months later...