The Palais & Colemans

I used to work part time evenings in the bar at the Palais during the 1960s. Worked in the downstairs bar. It had a small revolving circular dance floor. There was a small area called "The Bali Hi". As an employee we were not allowed to go there socially so it was off to Coleman's on our nights off or usually Sunday nights I think. Used to love it. Returned to the Palais when I finished working there and remember seeing Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers one night. Where have all those 1960s bands gone? I have 100's of sixties music on my iPod and listen to those memories as I drive around on the tractor. Even got "Paper Lace" - Billy don't be a hero & The night Chicago died.What happened to them I wonder?

• Upvote 1

Where have all those 1960s bands gone?

Most of them are dead !!!

Even got "Paper Lace" - Billy don't be a hero & The night Chicago died.What happened to them I wonder?

The last I heard (Mind you this was mid 90's before my sojourn to lands foreign,) they were still going in one way shape or form . The one who lived down Colwick was still doing a solo turn in pubs and clubs, a couple of the others still toured as "Paper Lace" and did an absolutely brilliant version of "The Sabre Dance"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Used to go to colemans at the weekend, upstairs i think, we would just walk round and round and round, crazy. met my girlfriend of the time Sue Elliott daughter of Gerry Elliott ex sheriff of Nottingham and overman down Gedling pit, nearly crapped myself when I started working there and saw him. anyway back to Colemans, we would meet at the pub round the corner, turned into a amusment arcade. had some great nights in the pub, very small, tables to the left, bar to the right just enough room to walk through. my memory is going what was the pubs name? not the Lion.

Used to go to colemans at the weekend, upstairs i think, we would just walk round and round and round, crazy. met my girlfriend of the time Sue Elliott daughter of Gerry Elliott ex sheriff of Nottingham and overman down Gedling pit, nearly crapped myself when I started working there and saw him. anyway back to Colemans, we would meet at the pub round the corner, turned into a amusment arcade. had some great nights in the pub, very small, tables to the left, bar to the right just enough room to walk through. my memory is going what was the pubs name? not the Lion.

That would have been the Crystal palace

'Hanford and Richards' on, I think, Columber St is something I recall when learning to dance. There were often more men than women and you had to dance by yourself. One of the few times I trod on no one's toes!

Hanford and Richards was on Trinity Walk. They used to have a Friday night dance with a better ratio of girls to guys. Often went to the Monday night dance at the YMCA on Shakespeare street. Met my late wife there in 1963.

I used to go to Hanford & Richards mid forties early fifties. Frank Hanford used to run it but Dorothy Richards I never saw. Also used to got to Roy & Mary Knight's on Cranbrook St. My wife and I with friends used to go to Enid Colman's. dances at the Clinton Rooms on Thurland St.,.Saturday evenings were O.K but Wednesday nights were known as grab a Granny night. We used to go to most of the Nottingham ballrooms,The Palais, The Queens , The Elizabethan Rooms, The Sherwood Rooms Etc. I worked at The Sherwood Rooms part time for a while, firstly as a Bingo checker then as a ballroom assistant, just standing around in evening dress being helpful a really cushy job. Later on until a few year ago we were into sequence dancing and used to go to Bestwood Miners Welfare,, Calverton Miners Welfare, Gedling Miners Welfare and others. We had to pack up dancing in our mid seventies due to both having arthnritis we really missed it after all those 50 odd years of dancing.

Dennis.

• Upvote 2

When I was an apprentice in the mid 60's one of my fellow apprentices shocked everyone by resigning to go and work at the Palais, his name was Mick Knight and eventually became the manager !

We used to go to "grab a granny night" on Thursday nights and a nod to Mick always got my mate and I in for free.

Colemans was our first outing at the gentle age of 15-16 to actually mix and dance (if you were brave enough) with the opposite sex, I never was, so we used to do the circuit around and around, checking out the talent and dreaming !

One of my mates actually hit it off with a young lady and did eventually marry her and still was, up to a couple of years ago.

As we got a little older we would brave the Crystal Palace pub and buy our pints of bitter shandy, to give us a little more courage to maybe actually chat the young ladies up! Yes I was a little naive at 16-17.

In later years it was Yates wine lodge for a couple of so called "Australian white wines" you could chat anyone up with a few of them inside you :-))

• Upvote 2

Yes Colemans was a big oblong room with seats round the outside.

The crowd walked round the outside of the dancefloor.

The seats were always taken as when someone got up one of the walkers would sit down.

Two records I remember from there were, Love of the common people Nikki Thomas,

and Neanderthal Man by Hotlegs.

The latter people would sit in the floor in front of each other sitting between the person behinds

legs, and rock backward and forward and side to side. Enid Coleman went ape and had the music

turned off and made everyone stand up.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for photos of "The Jay Cats" - "The Jay Birds" - Early photos of Alvin Lee, Leo Lyons, Ric Lee, Dave Quickmire - Ten Years After.....this also includes any and all photos of these bands and people for use on our websites. www.ten-years-after.com and www.alvinlee.de

To see what we've already added, just go to google search and type in "Pre Ten Years After" that should get you to the exact page. Scarce as hens teeth to find anything relating to the Jaybirds and Jay Cats. Also, will accept photos of the venues where they played.

Thanks in advance from Dave (your host).

The Crystal Palace, a few yards to the right on the corner of Parliament St.was The Corner Pin and lower down Clumber St. was the (Red) Lion, Co;emans was on a tiny sidestreet called Maypole Yard