Does anybody have a map of Bulwell from the turn of the 20th century which shows where the Great Northern Railway crossed the Midland line and also the junctions off the Midland line for the Cinderhill Colliery and Bennerley branches??? I have a CD rom of maps for Derbyshire (1896-1901) but don't know whether such a thing for Nottinghamshire exists?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millers tes were on Latham Street not Leyland Street. Easy mistake to make.

Bulwell maps have moved slightly and are now in a general maps folder here: http://s1236.beta.photobucket.com/user/mitch7532/library/Maps/Bulwell%20Maps?page=1 Mitch

After half an hour I've already been proved correct. The collective brain power of this forum is gob-smacking.

Me n'all!cheers.gif

Give me a couple of days and I will get some maps posted for you. The content of the maps is fascinating but navigating them is a nightmare one minute you can be in Long Eaton the next map you scroll to is then Glossop!!!! Any specific parts of Long Eaton/Derby you'd be interested in seeing??

Mick might be interested in Sawley, but I would be interested in the areas north of Derby Road (specifically, Douglas Road) - normally identified as WIlsthorpe on old maps. Also the town area - and around the old Grammar School.

I grew up on Douglas Road!

Does anybody have a map of Bulwell from the turn of the 20th century which shows where the Great Northern Railway crossed the Midland line and also the junctions off the Midland line for the Cinderhill Colliery and Bennerley branches?Hopefully this will answer 2 points? The Cinderhill pit line is now used by the trams, Basford Northern Baths should give a reference point, The Bennerley Branch started at about the same point and was more or less at the back of Highbury Hospital, it ran virtually alongside for a good way,I think parts of the route and site of sidings can still be reached from the kids playground on the main street opposite the Moon and Stars? pub (it could pre to the trams ********* the place up!)xxx-2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks,

I have tried to post maps before but failed, but now I have photobucket I'll dig out some others I have of Basford etc.

The houses on the south side of Highbury Road were all demolished before I was born. But my Mother came from Oxford Street, her Grandmother from Latimer Street, her Grandfather from Deptford Street. Various Aunts and Unclers lived on Northcote and Chatham Streets, Padley Street and even Dora Terrace.

I have no family photos of these streets but if anyone has any, esp of Oxford St, it would be good to see them.

Thanks

Mitch

I had the contrast problems as well, but the provision of the images is excellent.

Maps are always welcome here.

Thanks Kev for adjusting the images.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a Mac, but this is what I'm doing to get each one.

On the photobucket page with 15 maps.......

Click on one of them

It enlarges to fill the page where the 15 were

Click on that one, and it enlarges again

Then right click to save

I'm on a PC...i click on one and it gets bigger...if i click on it again it just goes to the next one ( doesnt get bigger again )...but have found a drop down above the pic saying 'Download' or 'Copy'........so yep stolen now.