• 4 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millers tes were on Latham Street not Leyland Street. Easy mistake to make.

Bulwell maps have moved slightly and are now in a general maps folder here: http://s1236.beta.photobucket.com/user/mitch7532/library/Maps/Bulwell%20Maps?page=1 Mitch

After half an hour I've already been proved correct. The collective brain power of this forum is gob-smacking.

All very interesting, but not a map of the centre of bulwell to be seen.

I am trying to find a plan of Bulwell at about 1900.

My relatives lived in Bulwell in the late 19th century/early 20th, and I would like to see where they lived.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks GIGA,

Various addresses from 1851 Census to 1911 Census.

Old yard

Buildings

Brocklehurst Yard

Quarry Road

Forest Side

Birkland Street

Lime Street

Thames Street

Coventry Road

Newstead Street

Hope you can help

WAB

WAB................Cliff Ton is his name, GIGA is his status, same as you're a Newbie, you'll soon get the hang of it................. thumbsup

WAB................Cliff Ton is his name, GIGA is his status, same as you're a Newbie, you'll soon get the hang of it.................

:cool:

Are you certain they were all in Bulwell? Have you looked on a present-day map to see if they still exist?

Someone else may know more than me on the subject.

Old Yard - The census will also say which road that was on. Almost certainly doesn't exist now.

Buildings - I assume something is missing here. Nothing will have that name. It will be called xxxx Buildings.

Brocklehurst Yard - As with Old Yard

Quarry Road - Dunno

Forest Side - There was an area of this name alongside Bulwell Forest - surprisingly. Near the present Bancroft Street.

Birkland Street - Maybe there was one, but no longer. There is still one in Mansfield, and a Birkland Avenue in Sherwood.

Lime Street - Still there today on any map.

Thames Street - Still there today on any map.

Coventry Road - Still there today on any map

Newstead Street - Maybe there was one, but no longer. There is still one in Sherwood (as with Birkland Street)

Brocklehurst Yard off Main Street Bulwell

Quarry Rd renamed Commercial Rd off Main Street

Birkland St off Austin Street

Newstead St also off Austin St (I think !)

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the information above, it ties in with other info that I have.

I didn't want to cause a lot of trouble.

I was looking for a plan of Bulwell around say 1890- 1900, which would suit my purpose very well.

Thanks again for all the interest.

Best Wishes

Keep on Nottstalgianing

• 2 months later...

As a postscript to the above, I managed to buy a copy of the Godfrey map mentioned above by Cliff Ton, this is a reprint ot a 1913 OS map and it covers and shows most of what I was after.

Thanks for all the attention to my quest.

Best Wishes

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where Crown Street in Bulwell was situated?

Also in 1911 census my Great Great Grandad was a prisoner, in Bulwell district??

Thanks

Thanks to Ashley, I've solved the problem.

This was Crown Street. To the right of it is Duchess Street (spot the theme running in the area). A new version of Duchess Street exists today in Bulwell, but it follows the line of the earlier version, so you can work out where Crown Street was.

crown1.jpg

• 4 years later...

I'm looking for the location of Leyland Street, Bulwell. A company called Millers 'The Tea People' had their office and warehouse there in the 1960s.

Does anyone remember this company? A search on Google fails to find the street or the name of the company... It was owned by Tom & Bill Miller and one their daughters, Yvonne.

I remember Millers the Tea people Smiffy.......they used to sell it direct to houses.....from a little blue Van.......can't think where Leyland st was though..........

• Like 1