St Anns in the 60s

As a teenager still at TB school I would often go to the General Cathcart ( on Cathcart street ) to see my mates Don and Malc Theakstone.

TheTheakstones owned the pub. For those who recall Arthur and Rob Clarke from TB school- they lived on Alison Rise, just off Alfred Street North.

For those who can remember Malc Theakstone I noticed his wife Gina very sadly died last year.

Kind regards

Tony

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

Used to live in St Anns in the 60s (Union RD), loved it !

\snip\

There was a girl at my school lived on Union Road - do you remember her? :) She would have left in 1966 at 16yrs old and went to St Bernadette's in Sneinton Dale. I shall try and recall her name but she was a year older than me and you know how it is with kids.... a year older means a different age group and not too much to do with each other. She had two good friends, one definitely lived in St Anne's on Comyn (Comwyn?) Street, name of Monica Chandler and the other was Shirley Bent who's abode I know not.

There was a girl at my school lived on Union Road - do you remember her? :) She would have left in 1966 at 16yrs old and went to St Bernadette's in Sneinton Dale. I shall try and recall her name but she was a year older than me and you know how it is with kids.... a year older means a different age group and not too much to do with each other. She had two good friends, one definitely lived in St Anne's on Comyn (Comwyn?) Street, name of Monica Chandler and the other was Shirley Bent who's abode I know not.

A girl lived next door to us, she I think being a year older than me. Her name was Iris Howarth

Can't think of any other names.

Definitely not an Iris. What a shame I can remember two out of the three but not the correct one :(

• 2 weeks later...

Beachbum, as you lived in the butchery world you may know the answer to this....

Was there a butcher's shop somewhere on St Ann's Well Road in the early 60s where the owner/boss/manager was a woman?

I had an uncle who worked in such a place.

hi just made myself a member i belive the butchers you mention is stearkers pork butchers (not sure spelt right) i lived on norland rd and i think the butchers was on the opposit side of the road more or less facing jackson st. going down from norland rd was duncum st edwin st then i think jackson st hope this information helps.

hi just made myself a member i belive the butchers you mention is stearkers pork butchers (not sure spelt right) i lived on norland rd and i think the butchers was on the opposit side of the road more or less facing jackson st. going down from norland rd was duncum st edwin st then i think jackson st hope this information helps.

morning mary 1947 again sorry but i dont think it was jackson st im almost sure it was beverly st i had a friend who lived on the st called susan jackson i think its an age thing getting mixed up. any way i used to have to go to the butchers for mum i remember a small lady severing their she used to have a tuban head scarf on her head and a flowerd cross over pinny on the gent was quite tall with very dark hair and used to have a white coat on he used to do all the butchering but it was only a pork butchers they did not sell any beef at all.

mary 1947

im almost sure it was beverly st i ..... i remember a small lady severing their she used to have a tuban head scarf on her head and a flowerd cross over pinny on the gent was quite tall with very dark hair and used to have a white coat on he used to do all the butchering but it was only a pork butchers they did not sell any beef at all.

Thanks for that mary1947. I don't have any idea of what the butchers was called so I can't say whether you may be right or not, but now you've given me a location to check, I'll do some digging around.

I'm not sure if the man you describe was my uncle. I wouldn't have said he was tall - just average - but he did have very dark hair and wore a white coat while working. He also wore glasses.

funny how a word can jog a memory mick but most mums granies and even young factory girls wore pinnis in them days clothes being expencive and through the war years being on ration either the old cross over or tie round you waist type even when i was doing factory work in the sixties some of the older women still wore them some would have a clean one every day one lady i remember used to wear certain coulored ones on certain days we used to joke with her that we always knew what day it was by the coulor of her pinniesand ask her if she did the same with her knickers she always said know they had the days of the week embrioded on them and she had three sets and always kept a spare pair in her hand bag and she anall

My old grans standard dress was a crossover pinny, she wore one daily, always remember her going into a home as she started to wander due to demetia, last time I saw her alive she was sitting on the edge of her bed in her room in the home with her hat on, a pinny and her handbag on her knee insisting she wanted to go home.

Her house had been demolished about 4 years earlier and she had lived with us till it got too hard.

I had a friend lived on Beverley street Barbara Palmer...went to Mundella school

Hi hippo girl did your friend have a brother called john if so i went to junior school with him

mary 1947

i'm glad this topic has come up, a while ago i was surprised to find out that Southampton street still exists but Frederick terrace which was off southampton is long gone. i did find a pic in picture the past which quite annoyingly has my old house (although i think the pic was taken in the 40's so at that time its my future house!) just off the frame-

13zah55.jpg

the second shadow is in fact our house at the end (or start!) of the terrace. although we moved out when i was just 5 in about 1970 ish, i can clearly remember those council houses opposite, that i'm sure must be the reason this street was to some extent left alone.

2w5imnm.jpg

and roughly the same view taken last year.

one crazy thing is that i'm certain i've never been back here since we moved out, yet when i got out of my car the slope of the street was instantly familiar! strange what you remember eh?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember Cat's Eye Kelly? She was the original crazy cat lady, had loads of cats and would always be seen pushing a pram with cats in. I was reminded of her yesterday when I adopted another cat and was told by my mum that I was turning into her :laugh:

Wonder if this Kelly later moved to Carrington? I love cats but about 30 living in a house, not going out and no litter trays etc I found a bit OTT when I went to quote for a plumbing job about 15 yrs ago, talk about tear gas!

• 4 months later...

hi

does any St Anns person remember Woods dairy on Hungerhills if we ran out of milk mum used to send me to the dairy I used to watch the bottles being filled up with milk standing right next to the machine this would not be allowed nowdays Health and Safety. Is their anyone out there who used to go sledging on the small hill top of wessie st? remember how icey it was we used to hide if any cars came down and watch them slip on the ice.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Does anyone remember Cat's Eye Kelly? She was the original crazy cat lady, had loads of cats and would always be seen pushing a pram with cats in. I was reminded of her yesterday when I adopted another cat and was told by my mum that I was turning into her :laugh:

We used to have a lady at the top of our yard on Norland rd she used to have lots of cats, lived on her own, took them walks in pushchairs we used to call her Mrs Fluffy never did get to know her real name.

• 5 months later...

My family lived just off Union road on Hedderly street in the sixties ,I remember going to the cavandish picture house, and our weekly trips to the corporation hot baths on st anns wells road for a weekly scrub, we had no bathroom or inside toilet . and when we had no money,going with my sister to Andos pawnshop to pop dads suit

• Upvote 1