St Anns in the 60s

Same years I believe dat47. Her name was Hazel Cotton.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

dat47 It was definetly my era probably the same class? remember Mrs Bibby domestic science?. I have a few more memories.

going to 'little Woolworths' & having 2.oz of kali on a saturday. seeing those big net frilly underskirts in a shop on Hockley oh

how I yearned for one! After a swim at Vic baths I would have '6 mixed with batter bits'at Rileys chip shop on Robin Hood Street

I started work at Boots Wheeler gate in 1960.My hair was permed with 'Twink' & I wore ankle socks! I went dancing at the Locarno

& had to be in by 10pm! My grandma told me should not wear 'those winklepickers' because I would get bunions when i was older,

she was not wrong

• Upvote 3

I worked for a plumbing company on Alfred street H Cooper & Son, and worked on a lot of the houses in St Anns.

I worked there from 1957 to 1963, my hand cart pushing days.

Hi Fernilee567. Yes I remember Mrs Bibby (lovely lady)We used to go to Jack Wards chippy on Carlton Rd for 4d mix. He had a wooden bench in his shop used to let us sit & eat our chips inside ik the weather was bad. I too went to work at Boots Station St. in credit accounts. Went to college at Beeston every Thursday did you? I hated it, the only good thing about college was meeting my dad (he worked d47 dept at Beeston)& coming home together. Once it snowed so heavy whilst at college that we had to walk home all the way from Beeston to Carlton.No one seemed to bother though ,we just got on with it. I think dad led the way & we all followed in single file! till every one was safely home. Mum also permed our hair (twins) with twink one mass of curls!

• Upvote 2

Used to live in St Anns in the 60s (Union RD), loved it !

Anyone else from St Anns in the 60s ?

There was a group of three girls in our school, St B's on Sneinton Dale. They were all from St Anne's: Shirley Bent, Monica Chandler (Comyn Street) and another whose name I forget but do recall that she lived on Union Road. She would have been born in 1949.

There was a group of three girls in our school, St B's on Sneinton Dale. They were all from St Anne's: Shirley Bent, Monica Chandler (Comyn Street) and another whose name I forget but do recall that she lived on Union Road. She would have been born in 1949.

? Howarth, for the life of me I can't remember her christian name & she lived next door !

I can't get "Helen" out of my mind but I'm not sure if that was her name. So, do you recall her two mates Shirley and Monica?

Certainly was'nt Helen but I have just remembered it & it is IRIS ! Always struck me as a old fashioned name, she had a younger sister, Susan & an older brother, Tony. Nice family.

Hi dat47

Do you recall any of these names from my class at Pierrepont- you could be one of them ! Kristina Kin-Margaret Pegg-Brenda Hartshorn-Anita Lawson-

Sheila Mokes- Christine Richardson- June Swinscoe-Gloria Cram- Wendy Harby- June Stafford- Pamela Philpotts-June Blythe- put your thinking cap on!

Did you have Bicker Boots for swimming/life saving- shouting 'down' to fetch the dreaded brick up'- those were the days!

• Upvote 1

hello fenilee don't remember any of those names although I remember Miss Bickers scared the life out of me. She used to sit us in a row on the edge of the pool & expect us to dive in ,one at a time .If you wernt ready when it was your turn you felt her foot up your bum & in you fell.Scarey!! Iremember Janet Fearon Linda Pether Linda Jowett Margaret Carver Janea Rouse Brenda Smith can see their faces but cant remember their names. of anymore. & I have no school photos By the way I did pass my Life Saving exam got a madalion with my name engraved on the back. Presented to to me by no other than (yes you guessed ) Miss Bickers herself.

Dat47, there is a member on here, name of bazalways, he's married to Janet Fearon. I started working at Raleigh 1/1/62, along with Janet.

• Upvote 1

Hi

dat47- we cannot have been in the same class I do not know any of your class. I am 68 how old are you?

I began work in 1960 at Boots day & night- stayed 16 years until I came to live in Cheshire-My elder brother

lives in Bingham the only contact I have with Nottingham now because both Mum& Dad have died & all other

related family- time marches on

• Upvote 1

hi fernilee. I am 67 so would have been a year down from you.I started work at Boots Station St. but only stayed 6 months, got a job as Telephonist at a fimm of Chartered accountants on Wheeler Gate. Been nice chatting with you maybe our paths will cross again soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently discovered a list of house numbers and residents of Peas Hill Rise, a street that went from Peas Hill Road up to Robin Hood Chase. I lived here in the 50s/60s. I wonder if any of these names bring back memories for anyone.

No 1 Josiah Goodacre; 2 Basil Shacklock; 3 Geo Buck; 4 Thomas Dury; 5 Hilda Bettison; 6 Thomas Ellis; 7 Hugh Aitken; 8 Jack Holland; 9 Geo Corner; 10 Kathleen Tinsley; 11 Ernest Bowring; 12 Norman Burn; 13 Violet Frankland; 14 Ronald Wootton; 15 Roger Tinsley; 16 Louise Worthington; 17 William Howlett; 18 Beryl Marriott; 19 Brian White; 20 Jn Marriott; 21 Alfred Fisher; 22 Albert Heyhoe; 23 Walter Topliss; 24 Sydney Summers; 25 Bernard Pike; 26 Sydney Rose; 27 Rt Forman; 28 Jn Lowe; 29 Florence Mackintosh; 30 Joseph Smith; 31 Joseph Reddington; 32 William Rudkin; 33 Fred Blake; 34 Frank Crowther; 35 Edith Hunt; 36 Reginald Waller; 37 Geo Bone; 38 Albert Gilderthorpe; 39 Alan Gell; 40 Ada Colton; 41 Rt Jamison; 42 Frank Flint; 43 Dennis Statham; 44 C Jackson; 45 Fred Denman; 46 Leonard Thornhill; 47 C Joyce; 48 Arthur Radford; 49 Mary Howlett; 50 William Kendrick; 51 Rt Steel; 52 Flora Ackersgill; 53 Jas Clarke; 54 William Shaw; 55 Geo Wilson; 56 Sarah Dixon; 57 Michael Morrell; 58 Sandra Harrison; John Milford Printing Ink Manufacturers; 60 Charlotte Waldron; 62 Florrie Sheward; 64 Joseph Abell.

I also have residents names for Peas Hill Road up to Edgar Rise, which was the next street up. I used to drink at the King Edgar.

• 2 months later...

I used to work for a chap called Harold Ebb, on Saturdays, making bundles of firewood, he had a little workshop half way up Peas Hill Rd, it was like a garage type of building under the house. He owned a big Humber Hawk car and we would nip down to Players Factory and pickup wood what the tabacco had been in. His brother Tommy Ebb had a B&B on Curzon St.

This probably belongs on here. I was looking through some old photos today and came across this one, taken from the bedroom window over our shop on Blue Bell Hill Road. Not a very inspiring view! Date would have most likely been early 1961.

Blue20Bell20Hill20Road201960s_zpsunfa3zi

• Upvote 1

I don't know, sorry - the original photo is an un-enlarged one from a Brownie 127 and is less than a quarter of the size it appears here so I can't make much out. I no longer have the negative.

I can't remember for sure, but that could be Mr Griggs' shop - he used to bake his own bread to sell in the shop and the alleyway could be leading to the bakery part at the back.

How would you scan a 127 negative Merthyr??? I've some odd sized negs, and I cannot find any holders for them for my Epson photo/negative scanner. Placing them on the glass causes "Newtonian Rings".

Well, I can't put them in the holder so have to line them up by eye. It does take a bit of trial and error, and it does chop off either the top or bottom of the picture (or a part of both). With that example it would likely have meant the top part down to the window sills being chopped off.

So it's not ideal, but if for example you've got a photo with a bit of sky at the top you can get away with it.

Here's an example - I suppose Huntingdon Street is not too far away from St. Anns!

Trent2070620at20Huntingdon20SZtreet20196

Much as I was loathe to comment further on this wonderful web page of Mikes due to the overbearing attitude of one of the moderators,a photo by Merthyr of Blue Bell Hill brought back a flood of happy childhood memories I had to comment further.

The photo must have been taken from a room above a sweet and ice-cream shop. At the end of the war in about 1945,I bought my very first bar of Cadbury`s chocolate for 6 pence (a lot of cash in those days) together with a mandatory coupon.

Next door on the corner of Crown St. and Blue Bell Hill was an off licence.

Up the hill next door was `The Hop Bloom ' pub owned by the father of another mate .Harry Cook,(who I believe still lives in Clifton).

Spent many happy hours playing skittles (wooden ones) in the pub`s back yard.

Directly across the street in the photo was Cotterell`s Dairy/Milk shop. What a hero he was. A local liberal candidate for council. I remember on many occasions sitting under his table when the air raid siren went.After it had been shown how useless the air raid shelters really were all the local women used to meet there when the siren went,preferring to all die together with their mates rather than going to the shelters outside the Blue Bell Hill School.

The alley way you comment on in fact lead to a wood yard .

Next to the alleyway down the road was a Newspaper shop. It was at this shop after the war that I purchased my first `fireworks'(Standard) Every customer could buy 2/6d. worth max.! There was a huge bonfire each year corner Pym and Blu Bell Hill.

I think the bakers you are referring to was Alsibrooks at the lower end of BBH which later became Fords and maybe Griggs. Ah what clear memories(and happy too) the photo conjures up.

Thank you Merthyr very much. I have taken the liberty of putting this on the St. Anns web page on `Facebook'

• Upvote 1

Merthyr, I've had very little success scanning negs laying flat on the glass, "Newtonian Rings" is one problem, another is they are not recognized. There is one Photog who markets neg holders for many sizes of negatives, he makes for a couple of photo/neg scanners, but he charges an arm and a leg.