St Anns in the 60s

Stan the man!!! Thats the kind of comment i like to see after someone like Merthyr has gone to some trouble to set it up!! A black and white snap can evoke so many memories- stan your small detail is like a photo in itself- ta to the pair of you!!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

#125 - Well, as I indicated, I'm able to scan negatives OK by laying them on the glass - the photo of the bus being an example - but of course as the aperture in the lid is designed for 35mm negatives you lose maybe about a quarter of the picture. So it's not practical in cases where you'd lose too much of it.

The scanner I have is a CanoScan 4400F.

#124 - Stan, that's great information.

You're right - that was from the front bedroom above the shop you mention. We moved there in mid-November 1959 and were there until July 1961. We didn't sell ice cream at that time, but did sell sweets and 'fancy goods' - small toys and the like. To be honest I can't remember what else.

Yes, next door on the corner was (in my time) Marshall's off licence. I was at school with Karen Marshall.

The shop directly across the road that you mention was evidently closed by that time, by the look of it in the photo.

I remember the newspaper shop, where at that time you could still buy the Evening News as well as the Post. Griggs probably was further down. In the morning there would be the aroma of baking bread, and a treat would be to buy a freshly baked roll still warm from the oven to eat on the way to school. Maxine Griggs was another schoolmate.

When we first moved there the street was still cobbled. It must have been 1960 when the tarmac was laid, although I have no memory of it being done, so the photo was taken after that.

• Upvote 1

If she worked at them in the 50's, she might have known my Mother.

• 1 month later...

I did not live in st annes but I had a friend who did her name was Christine manners,her parents had a shop there,but I can't for the life of me remember which street,does anyone remember the shop ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am doing some family research . I never lived in St Ann's (I lived at Bestwood Park) but most of my family did. I am putting their details together and would love to hear from anyone who knew them. The family names are Shepherd Percy and Lizzie - not sure what street they lived on. Sales family had a fish and chip shop on Union Road, Crumley Mabel Arthur and Sarah - they lived on Lotus street but lived on Bombay street before that. The Giddy family who also lived on Bombay Street - Violet and Jack and 3 children Graeme, John and Janice.

Any stories would be greatly received

Sarah23

Hello Sarah23. I've had a quick trawl through the streets of St Anns and I found a Percy Shephard (note the spelling of Shephard). His full name was Percy Thomas and he lived at No. 2 Simon's Terrace, which was a cul-de-sac off Westminster Street, St Anns.

The full street numbers were: No. 1 William Hall; 2 Percy Thomas Shephard; 3 Arthur Kerry; 4 Katherine L. Dennett; 5 William Hall; 6 Albert Jones; 7 Walter Davison; 8 William Keeton; 9 John Slate; 10 Jane Brearley; 11 Agnes Litchfield; 12 Harold Gilbourne; 13 Charles Lanni; 15 Edwin Hamilton and 16 Clarence Myers.

Hope this might be of help to you. The names might ring a bell with someone.

• 10 months later...

I was brought up in St Anns from when I was too young to remember about 1960 when we moved to the Meadows.

Lived at Kings Lynn Terrace off of Turner Street, and then Alfred Street South, where Mum was the Manager of the Lady Bay Cleaners Shop.

We lived opposite Agar's fruit and veggie shop near the corner of Blue Bell Hill Road and Robin Hood St.

My Aunt lived off Union Road for years before moving to Clifton in the mid 50's. Both my Grans lived in St Anns.

The only violence I ever remember were the race riots on St Anns Well Road in the 50's, Riots??? More like a slaughter, the Teddy boys beat the living daylights out of West Indians....

I lived on Alfred Street South from 1955 - 1970 also opposite Agar's fruit and veg shop. We were next door to the co-op on the opposite corner. I also remember Lady Bay cleaners and the post office a few doors down that was originally a pub. There was also Hobsons timber yard and a butchers shop - I think his name was Ron. Also opposite was the Blue Bell Inn

Did you ever go in 'vernons' price down stores Dave in 60/61 when Sugar was only 1/6 per 2lb bag,?........lol.

I lived on Alfred Street South from 1955 - 1970. Next door to the co-op opposite the Blue Bell Inn. I well remember the wool shop, Mrs Pitts and Perrons Chemist - also Agers fruit and veg shop. Where exactly was W Hodson furniture shop ?

This probably belongs on here. I was looking through some old photos today and came across this one, taken from the bedroom window over our shop on Blue Bell Hill Road. Not a very inspiring view! Date would have most likely been early 1961.

Blue20Bell20Hill20Road201960s_zpsunfa3zi

If that is Griggs shop ( and I think it is from memory) I used to pass it every day on the way to Bluebell Hill school every day from 1959 - 1965. I remember that on occasion we would go in there for a cake as a special treat. It didn't happen very often, though, as money was pretty tight in those days !

• Upvote 3

i WAS A 'Van-lad' working out of Midland Station in 1960,and remember making deliveries to Newy and eyre' Lamartime st and Jubilee Pickles' up Thorneywood Gardens,plus a company called Jones on St.Anns well road think they were a Hosiery company..........

Welcom DaveK

did you ever go in the Blue Bell in the 50/60s?

DaveK #142, I had a crush on Jennifer Agar, My mother was the Manageress of the Lady Bay Cleaners when it moved from Blue Bell Hill to Alfred Street, opposte the Agars green grocers. Mr Agar worked at Wollaton Colliery as a shift electrician back then.

Next time I bumped into him, he was at Cotgrave where he was pit bottom electrician.

DaveK, I was at Blue Bell Hill from late-ish 1959 until mid-1961 so we must have been at school together, however judging by your dates you must be four years younger than me.

Griggs' shop was either the one partly visible in the photo to the left of the alleyway or just to the left of that. Maxine Griggs was in the same class as me and is sixth from the right on the front row of this class photo taken in 1960 when we were all aged about 10:

The thing I remember about Mr Griggs' shop was the fresh baked bread rolls (and the smell of them) which some of the kids used to get in the morning.

BlueBellHillSchoolPhoto_zps56d0e595.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2014 at 0:52 AM, fernilee567 said:

I was brought up in St Anns in the 60s. I lived on Alfred st South, my dad had a shop there W Hodson selling furniture & televisions. Opposite was margarets wool shop, mrs Pitts bread shop & Perrins chemist as well as the old Post Office.

I lived across the road at no.82, next door to the co -op on the corner of Blue Bell Hill Road. I well remember your dad's shop and the others you mention

On 6/16/2016 at 8:02 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Did you ever go in 'vernons' price down stores Dave in 60/61 when Sugar was only 1/6 per 2lb bag,?........lol.

Don't really remember Vernons stores. I was only 7 years old in 1961. Where was it located ?