St Anns in the 60s

On 6/16/2016 at 9:40 PM, mary1947 said:

Welcom DaveK

did you ever go in the Blue Bell in the 50/60s?

Hi Mary, I lived opposite the Blue Bell Inn, next door to the Co-Op. I never went in as I was only a child at the time. Remember a lot about it though,like the Easter Bonnet Parades and some of the scuffles on a Saturday night as we watched from our bedroom window when we should have been asleep !!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

On 6/16/2016 at 10:16 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

DaveK #142, I had a crush on Jennifer Agar, My mother was the Manageress of the Lady Bay Cleaners when it moved from Blue Bell Hill to Alfred Street, opposte the Agars green grocers. Mr Agar worked at Wollaton Colliery as a shift electrician back then.

Next time I bumped into him, he was at Cotgrave where he was pit bottom electrician.

Hi,Ayupmeducks. I remember Jennifer Agar. Got in touch with her on Friends Reunited a couple of years ago.I also remember the Lady Bay Cleaners but unfortunately not your mum. It's interesting you mention Mr Agar worked at Wollaton Colliery because I now live in Wollaton not far from where the colliery used to stand. I remember too going to the post office on bonfire night for fireworks. Also remember Mrs Pitts shop and Perrins the chemist across the road.

Hello Merthyr Imp. Thanks for your reply. I am 62 years old now and attended Blue Bell Hill school from 1959 - 1965. Don't really recognize anyone in the photo as, like you say, they were a bit older than me. I do remember the smell of bread from Griggs shop though. I also remember the shop on the corner of Dennett Street ( or was it Wright Street ?) and the off licence on the corner of Crown Street were we sometimes bought sweets on the rare occasions we had some money !

• Upvote 1

Hi DaveK welcome . Most people here place their photos in a hosting site . The most popular seems to be photobucket.com

I use flickr which is a bit more tricky . Once you upload your images to photobucket you post a link in the message reply box and it should appear but others that use it may be better to advise .

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

Don't really remember Vernons stores. I was only 7 years old in 1961. Where was it located ?

All I remember it was half way up St,Anns Well road on the right............don't tell cliff-ton on here that you don't remember he's very sceptical that they even existed..............lol

• Upvote 1

On the subject of shops on St Anns Well road, I've borrowed this from the Facebook St Anns page, which is worth spending quite a bit of time looking at.  http://stannswellroad.weebly.com/

It's the entries from a mid-50s directory showing the shops on the even side of the road. The names include most of the famous ones including a Co-op, Dewhurst, Home & Colonial, Maypole, Marsden etc etc... all within the same relatively short stretch of road.   st%20anns%20list_zpsvozkxttz.jpg

• Upvote 2

That Marsdens cliff-ton would have been the one they converted to Vernons and made self-service with reduced prices about 1962,i was there when it re-opened,and it was absolutely packed with the St Anns residents bargain hunting and using a shopping basket for the first time........even remember the Manager Mr Gamble.............honest.

DaveK - the off-licence on the corner of Crown Street was Marshall's shop. Karen Marshall is 5th from the left on the front row in that photo.

My mother's shop was next door - why didn't you get your sweets from us???  But we left there in about June 1961, so perhaps you're remembering from after that time. I think the people who took over our shop turned it into a café of some sort, but it wasn't successful.

22 hours ago, Merthyr Imp said:

DaveK - the off-licence on the corner of Crown Street was Marshall's shop. Karen Marshall is 5th from the left on the front row in that photo.

My mother's shop was next door - why didn't you get your sweets from us???  But we left there in about June 1961, so perhaps you're remembering from after that time. I think the people who took over our shop turned it into a café of some sort, but it wasn't successful.

Thanks for the info. I would only be 7 years old in 1961 so probably wouldn't have had pocket money then.

I've been trying to upload some school photos to this site but it wont let me as they have to be 50kb and my photos are about 100kb each. It's a shame because I'm sure a lot of people on here would recognize themselves. I'll try to reduce them in some way to get them uploaded.

Hi Merthyr Imp.  Miss Barker is in the middle photo and Miss Pope is in the bottom one. Mr Lowe was the headmaster and other teachers I remember were Mr Gibby, Miss Harvey, Miss Prossor and Mr Davies. There was also a blind piano teacher called Mr Saunders. I also remember we had a film club once a month which I think cost 2/6d. It was held in the new school hall in the playground which I believe is still there.

Tell me Dave, ok you don't recall Vernons'...but...can you remember Jubilee Pickles'........just at the top of St barts hill and into Thorneywood ?......mentioned it before and no one remembered them either.

Hi Benjamin

Sorry I don't recall them either. Probably because Thoneywood wasn't an area we used to visit. We stayed mainly around Alfred St., St Anns Well Road and the parks on Robin Hood Street. I sometimes ventured around the bottom end of Sneinton and Carlton Road - especially on my way to watch my beloved Notts County !!

Thanks Dave, thought it was a long shot.............anyway 'Jubilee Pickles' were lovely,local and cheap, great big jars for 4/11 at Vernons......lol.

45 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Tell me Dave, ok you don't recall Vernons'...but...can you remember Jubilee Pickles'........just at the top of St barts hill and into Thorneywood ?......mentioned it before and no one remembered them either.

Are you sure you've mentioned them before?  I've never had the urge to look for a pickle picture; but here it is. Described by PTP as "1977; derelict and abandoned"

jubilee%20pickles_zpsyd3giyoe.jpg

• Upvote 1

Once again brilliant cliff-ton...........as a van -lad in 1960 remember delivering to that very building,then on joining Marsdens same year found that they were the main Pickled products they sold...........very very popular, Onions,mixed pickle,Beetroot,Piccallili,...........thanks again.

2 hours ago, DaveK said:

Hi Merthyr Imp.  Miss Barker is in the middle photo and Miss Pope is in the bottom one. Mr Lowe was the headmaster and other teachers I remember were Mr Gibby, Miss Harvey, Miss Prossor and Mr Davies. There was also a blind piano teacher called Mr Saunders. I also remember we had a film club once a month which I think cost 2/6d. It was held in the new school hall in the playground which I believe is still there.

Mr Lowe was our class teacher in my last year at Blue Bell Hill so he must then have got promoted. He had a withered hand. Headmaster in my time was Mr S. P. Leigh (I remember his initials and name on his door!).

Yes, I remember the blind singing teacher who played the piano, but couldn't have told you his name.

Other teachers I remember were Mr Tennyson who also took the swimming, and Kay Woods who was my class teacher when I first started at the school - I think she later went to Hayward School.

The film club must have been after my time!

I can vaguely remember Mr Leigh. Do you remember the big central heating pipes in the classrooms, they were lovely in the winter -really warm. I'm trying to find some more photos of Blue Bell Hill and Alfred Street South to post on this site - watch this space !!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2016 at 8:27 PM, iandawson said:

Anyone recall a wallpaper/paint shop on St.Anne's Well rd?

I was in there when the wrecking ball struck!!

Circa..71?

Just noticed your post Ian, there was a bloke who was a painter & decorator, his wife ran the shop. His name was "MrTrott".

He brought his car in our garage for servicing & fuel etc. A Vauxhall 101 Estate !

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2011 at 3:37 AM, catfan said:

Used to live in St Anns in the 60s (Union RD), loved it !

Anyone else from St Anns in the 60s ?

Hi catfan.yes I was there from 55 _ mid 70s