St Anns in the 60s

On 10/27/2011 at 11:11 PM, TonyW said:

Hello catfan, Me, and brother used to push a Barrow up Union Road to a coal yard on the right hand side near the top of Union Road. We used to load the barrow up with coal,and push it in a foot of snow all the way to Edwin Street. It was hard going i'll tell you

I can remember the coal yard on the left going up Union rd from commercial sq but not the one on the right.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

On 11/7/2012 at 10:09 PM, Beachbum said:

In the mid 60s I worked at Percy Carnells pork butchers on Commercial Square

I remember the place well, my Gran would her pork sausage from there for the café (Nora's cafe)

On 5/19/2014 at 8:49 PM, Den1945 said:

Come on folks, help me out here.

Round about 1957/58 there was a personal appearance of The Lone Ranger at the Cavendish Cinema between Peas Hill Road and Alfred Street. This was to celebrate the film called "The Lone Ranger and the Lost city of Gold."

Me and my mate Jimmy Redmund went to see him and it was packed. There was no advance booking, you just rolled up. Whether it was the real Lone Ranger or not I'l never know, but I have never heard of anyone who was there that afternoon. Surely someone in Nottingham can recall this.

Because I worked on Saturdays I had a day off in mid week. Because all my mates were at work I used to go to the cinema just about every week. Nottingham was blessed with so many superb picture houses in the 50s and 60s. I loved the Odeon, the ABC and the Elite. Now and again I ventured to the Scala but the "Cavvo" was my local place to go.

Anyone remember the Lone Ranger in Nottingham or have I dreamt it!!

Hi Den, no you didn't dream it, I also went to see him. Old Cliff was the doorman at the time and I used to get in for nowt. if i remember correctly, the lone ranger supposedly fired one of his silver bullets into the ceiling of the cavvo.

• 3 weeks later...

On 08/11/2012 at 9:19 AM, Beachbum said:

Sorry does'nt ring any bells, I do remember a little butchers outfit not far from Commercial Sq, up a little alleyway to some small premises. You may know them now as Pork Farms.

Plus they had a shop next to "the square wine and spirits" just across the road from "Carnills"

• 1 month later...

Welcome Waddo to N/N

I was born and bred up St Ann's all my life until master married me but surprise surprise  we rented a house on Manning Street, some one mentioned about a wallpaper shop. There was one across the road from, Norland road also, one at the bottom of Norland Road. Both were owned by the same person. Some one mentioned "Winnie Trotts" this was an ironmongers at the bottom of Lotus Street  it was a great shop as anything you wanted she seemed to sell. Talking of butchers shop's no one has mentioned the best Pork butcher's in the world which was on St Ann's Well Road called "Strecker's" not sure of the spelling, but they only sold pork meat nothing else.

Thanks caftan all the years that I lived up their and never knew that.

• 7 months later...

l remember the Lone Ranger visiting  the kids at the childrens hospital in the late fifties , i was in hospital at the time.

also the temporary  buildings on Huntingdon street  were classrooms for Huntingdon street school ,they also had a woodworking class at a school

off Freeman street , can't remember the name but thats where we caught the coach for skegness holiday camp for three weeks holiday.

having left my home city of Nottingham over 45 years a go 

I went to Shelton st infants, also the temp buildings on Huntingdon st doubled as the dining room for Huntingdon junior. (Went there as well).

1 hour ago, phunt said:

l remember  the temporary  buildings on Huntingdon street  were classrooms for Huntingdon street school ,they also had a woodworking class at a school

off Freeman street 

58 minutes ago, Commo said:

That woodworking room was on Shelton Street,  next to the infants school.

43 minutes ago, Waddo said:

I went to Shelton st infants, also the temp buildings on Huntingdon st doubled as the dining room for Huntingdon junior. (Went there as well).

I'm not sure if I've done this one before, but all those places are on here.

nJFN2Zw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice one Cliff Ton, was this an aerial shot? Can't think of anything tall enough round the area to take that shot!!

hi commo I wuz there about 58 59 can't remember who the head woz. Does remember that far back with names. Although some things are like yesterday. Ode age!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2011 at 3:37 AM, catfan said:

Used to live in St Anns in the 60s (Union RD), loved it !

Anyone else from St Anns in the 60s ?

Any chance you remember "Paddy freely" and his cronies?

On 11/7/2012 at 10:09 PM, Beachbum said:

In the mid 60s I worked at Percy Carnells pork butchers on Commercial Square

Hi Beachbum, I think I have mentioned this before, but you would have been at Carnells  when my gran would get her pork sausage ( about 4lb) every day for her café "Nora's café" in between nobles and the coach makers. 

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

Any chance you remember "Paddy freely" and his cronies?

The name sounds familiar but such a long time ago, nowadays I can't remember what time I got out of bed this morning !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My mate Ken Duffield lived at Paddy Freelys mothers house on Huttingdon street

in the 60s. His mam Mrs Freely and her partner Wilf were the salt of the earth . Last saw paddy in 1971 before getting married and moving to Manchester

Can well remember the sausage and onion cobs at Nora's caf'e ,and the hot peas and

mint sauce for a tanner in Central market.

• 11 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2011 at 6:41 PM, TonyW said:

Hello catfan, Me, and brother used to push a Barrow up Union Road to a coal yard on the right hand side near the top of Union Road. We used to load the barrow up with coal,and push it in a foot of snow all the way to Edwin Street. It was hard going i'll tell you

Brittles the coal merchant

• Like 1

Brings back memories!

That’s where the barbers was !  On my way home from school on the 31 bus I would stop off here for a haircut (if family funds will allow). By the time I was a teenager this was the place where I could comfortably buy  “something for the weekend sir”.