St Anns in the 60s

3 hours ago, siddha said:

Brings back memories!

That’s where the barbers was !  On my way home from school on the 31 bus I would stop off here for a haircut (if family funds will allow). By the time I was a teenager this was the place where I could comfortably buy  “something for the weekend sir”.

When I tried that with my barber, he lent me his fishing tackle.

• Like 1
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left St. Anns in 1951 when we moved to the`sticks' (Bilborough).(which in those days was really a good place to live.) I started at Blue Bell Hill School with 2 friends (Johnny Hardy and Pete Coffey

Just like to add a few more comments about St Ann's. The council said that the house's were slum's and was unfit for humans but what is a slum when St Ann's was a people's community. Children we

When you think how many of us spent time dancing at the Locarno in the early 60's, we must have seen each other many times and not known we'd be chatting away to each other on a computer, in our homes

On 1/18/2018 at 4:40 PM, phunt said:

My mate Ken Duffield lived at Paddy Freelys mothers house on Huttingdon street

in the 60s. His mam Mrs Freely and her partner Wilf were the salt of the earth . Last saw paddy in 1971 before getting married and moving to Manchester

Can well remember the sausage and onion cobs at Nora's caf'e ,and the hot peas and

mint sauce for a tanner in Central market.

I can remember the Duffield family one of them was quite athletic,  chased me up st Ann's Well rd, me on a bike and him running. Luckily i eventually got away to survive the bashing that he was going to give me.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tony Britton rings a bell but can't for the life of me think why, perhaps a bit more detail would waken the brain cells!!

Ooooh, I went out with Tony Britton for a little while, then I was rescued by the man I married .... otherwise I might have spent my lifetime selling spuds.  Tony was a nice lad though, he passed away a couple of years ago, I think he was living Mansfield way. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Waddo said:

Tony Britton rings a bell but can't for the life of me think why, perhaps a bit more detail would waken the brain cells!!

Might ring a bell cos' it's the name of a film actor as well.

2 hours ago, sistino rao said:

yes I new Tony Howarth and his sister iris  Alan Rhodes Errol mc clary  Tony Britton they lived on union road Stuart wakeling

I lived next door to the Howarth family.

Tony worked at Howitts printers & Iris worked at the Sunblest bakery on Hucknall Road.

1 minute ago, Beekay said:

Might ring a bell cos' it's the name of a film actor as well.

Brittons had a yard ? on Union Road. Green Bedford TK wagon, petrol engine.

"For Brittons sake eat more fruit" I think the phrase was.

I think that your probably right CF, it rang a bell somewhere, just couldn't make the connection and that seems like the best I'll get.

yes Tony and his sister iris they lived in back of the hardware shop A&A next door was the chip shop then the co-op which was on the corner of Northumberland Street it ran from the bottom of st Anns well road right round to Alfred street central can you remember union road through it first then great freeman street Alan Rhodes lived with is mam nellie they hag a sweet shop jack Britton was Tonys dad  caftan you must lived in the houses set back just after the shop wakelns and the Featherstone's  lived a long there it went to loverseed vale on the right and loverseed cottages on the left I know the allsworth family lived there John and Denise

Would Cliff Radford be related to the greengrocer Pat Radford?
When I knew Tony Britton he was living with his parents on Mapperley Plains, opposite Spring Lane, the house has since been demolished.  There was a mink farm down a lane at the side of the house.

Tony had a very nice car ...... a Mercedes 280SL Pagoda ....... it’d be worth a fortune nowadays.  

So did I know him, also George Akins but knew his brother Dennis better, a long long time ago. Pat Radford did a grand job organising the annual Market Traders Ball at the Albany, we had some great nights there in the 80s. 

• Like 2