My dad started to teach me the piano, but I got fed up with the scale practice. I wanted to go straight on to playing a piece.. One day I sat at the piano ( no one was in the house) and started to " play" and  sing at the top of my voice. Next thing  a neighbour walked in not sure if she wanted something and couldn't make me hear or whether it was the noise she came to complain about. Anyhow I was very embarrassed and never did it again. In any case I can't sing let alone play the piano. I played the recorder at school with the same effect, bought a guitar but couldn't get the hang of it.Ive never been very musical ( how did I guess) preferred to be artistic ( ahem) I loved to make things and the thing I really would like to be able to do is paint in water colours. I have dabbled a bit with some pleasing results but to do it properly would be a pleasure.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

This is called the angel of winter. I started this years ago . I found it this morning with all the pattern and threads but couldn't fine the colour chart. eventually found it taped to the inside of a board I use to attach the pattern.

Will try to finish it along with all the others I started and didn't finish

IMG-0003.jpg

• Like 2

IMG-3171.jpg

This is Hardanger . Started this a long time ago too but still have to do the border Thats boring and tiring its so fine

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Perhaps you could write a long, detailed posting

Push needle in, pull needle through, pull needle out. Repeat as necessary...

• Like 3

Before I post, Sorry Ben, here we go again...LOL

Seriously thinking of getting a "starter" CNC machine, and start having a go at small computer deigned and cut signs, more so out of clear plastic and using small high powered LED's to outline the lettering, like desk name plates, door signs etc.

OK Ben CNC = Computer Numerical Control.....Look it up...I did say sorry.

• Like 3

To add to this, I was just watching a video on Youtube, feller made his own large pro version of these starter machines and has less than $900 invested in it, large machines like his, manufactured cost anywhere from $3500 to $33,000 and can machine steel, soft metals, plastics and wood with the correct bits.

I'll start with a simple inexpensive machine until I have the experience.

• Like 1

Phil and Brew.

I could give you a long and detailed description of what to do before you start these crafts but I don't think somehow you'd appreciate them. The exciting part comes when you make a mistake and have to undo a whole pile of cross stitches. You don't appreciate the hard work that goes into something so intricate. You don't like it , don't look. I like it so there.:rotfl:smile2 I'm not bullying you am I?

Please:angry2: delete if offended

• Like 3

I would like to add to Nonna's post about unpicking stitches,  it's even worse when you frame your work hang it on the wall......then notice a spot where you have missed stitches.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

When I was about 7 years old, my mum booked me in for piano lesson's. My borther had had them and was still having them. I found it Boring ,Boring. My borther still plays and writes his own music. Always wanted to play the Chello or Violin but never did. On Master's birthday brought him a Bandjo (he allways wanted to play Dueling Banjos) well!! it looked easy on U_TUBE but NO! NO! it was not as easy as it looked. My Grandson who plays guitar has now also got a Bandjo.

My biggest claim to fame !!!   Knitting  when I was pregant with my first I thought it best that he had a real wool cardigan, So I sat down to knit him one 9 months later just has he was born I finished the cardian, but as I had only knitted first size, with in 2 weeks it was too small for him.

• 1 year later...

I think I will post any progress of the clock/timepiece (if any) in this section from now on instead of clogging up the "hows your day" section

DSCF2165.jpg

I posted this picture in another section but decided to post it here as well seeing as how working on/repairing/restoring these could become a new (to me) hobby/interest

Rog

Rog. I am fascinated by all things mechanical since I've had meccano sets from age about 6. Still got a small trunk full in the attic and old handbook reprints are Still available online.

Steve Fletcher on Repair Shop is an interesting man to watch working. He is a lifelong expert on clocks as was his father. Anyway, good luck in your new venture. 

• Like 1

Thanks WW, i'll check out some of the youtube stuff and the repair shop programs

Barrie, don't think it has batteries but not sure about running it on carbide either slywink

Rog

• Like 1

I have got a couple of those that don't work or are iffy. I also have one that does work!

• Like 1

Talking of clocks, which we weren't,  here's one I made earlier, (think I may have posted it before. In which case, apologies).

20230506-170514.jpg

• Like 1

I like that Barrie, I have a couple of battery clock mechanisms knocking about so you got me thinking now mate, great looking clock mate

Rog

27 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I like that Barrie, I have a couple of battery clock mechanisms knocking about so you got me thinking now mate, great looking clock mate

Rog

Rog., if you need a bit of slate or whatever painting, don't hesitate to ask. I would be delighted.

Phil., you may be right. Which would explain my love of the canals and fairground art and organs.

• Like 1

I am not terribly pc but will mention that the term pikey is considered offensive. Perhaps not with the historical ramifications as the ‘N’ word but certainly considered a derogatory term. I have a friend who did regular business with travellers and informed me in no uncertain terms I should not use the term (which I had) and certainly not in their hearing.

• Like 1

'Lets', I have no objection to being associated with the word Pikey.

I understand I do have traveller blood in my family.

People positively encourage them around here. They leave old fridges and similar stuff outside their gates and they mysteriously disappear. They’re not ‘travellers’ because they don’t travel and they’re not Romany’s because they don’t use horse drawn caravans and sharpen knives or sell pegs. What collective term should we call them? I should hate to offend them!

33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

They’re not ‘travellers’ because they don’t travel and they’re not Romany’s because they don’t use horse drawn caravans and sharpen knives or sell pegs. What collective term should we call them? I should hate to offend them!

If it’s anything like round here, you can confidently call them Bulgarians with beaten-up Transit vans.