37 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

And I thought it was Clive Dunn's affectionate nickname for Ian Lavender's character in Dad's Army!  Shows how out of touch I am!  

That's because his name was Pike

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

Just watched again The flim "Dam Busters"  what gave me a shock was that the dog in the film was now called "Trigger"  I always thought this was the horse that belonged to 

"Roy Rodgers " not a dog?   What I want to know is the writing on the dogs grave stone which use to be outside (not sure if its still there)  the staff hut at Scampton Lincs been changed as well. 

I am not prejudice all person red yellow orange pink with spots on have a right to live.To change the dogs name well its just another thing.

• Like 1

The dog was given as a puppy as a wedding present to Gibson and his wife, Eve. He remained with Eve until he grew up and then Gibson took him to live in his officer's quarters. Gibson, arguably, thought more of his dog than he did of his wife!  I saw the grave many years ago now. 

Gibson was devastated by the dog's death and, according to his book, Enemy Coast Ahead, he specifically asked that the body be interred at midnight as that was the time his modified Avro Lancaster, G George, was due to arrive at the Mohne Dam. Gibson looked on Operation Chastise as, in all probability, a suicide mission and he fully expected to be hitting the ground himself at around midnight.

Contrary to what is shown in the film, Gibson's dog was not popular with everyone and there have always been rumours that his death was not accidental.

Many thanks to all member for telling me the full story. 

Have been and stayed at Scampton meny times and seen the grave stone but never knew the full story. Cheers Jill

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a hobby but seeing as how the forecast rain didn't happen today I decided to get the little home made lathe out of the bike shed and do a bit of fettling, first off was to get rid of the rust that was all over it, I used a wire cup brush in my 4 inch angle grinder, that bought it up to a nice shine, next was a good oiling of the moving parts to make sure things were running free as possible then a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil for protection in the future, managed to dig out a 1/4 horse power 240 volt motor and switch, connected the two together and away it ran, been a good few years since I saw that running, it sounds nice and smooth so I pit a piece of wooden dowel in the chuck just to try it and it's fine, next will be a piece of brass bar to try it out

DSCF2194.jpg

DSCF2195.jpg

• Like 2

Emmett has got nothing on you Rog. Wished I'd got me own shed, to get lost in. I have to make do with me paints in two drawers.

as you can see from a lot of my bike and other hobby photo's most of my work is done outdoors on the garden bench or elsewhere outside, very little is done in the shed because of a shortage of space, anyway mate it's not the size of the thing it's how best you can make of it slywink

Rog

Yes mate, but I don't think for one minute that Mrs Plantfit would let you repair your bikes and clean your engines in your sitting room.

Got caught once by Mrs P washing my mountain bike in the shower, needless to say it was a rather quiet evening

Rog

• Like 1

Then again I did fit the home made pedals on the penny farthing in the kitchen (before Mrs P got home from the gym)

P1070117.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
16 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You’d like my shed Barrie. 20’ by 8’ and still not big enough!

That's not a shed ! It's a flipping Barn. thumbsup

• Like 1