To go with the mini lathe, a mini pedestal drill or drill press whatever you want to call it

DSCF2199.jpg

Rog

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

Does this come under my bike rides or hobbies, well it's in the hobbies section until it's built, lightweight alloy full suspension bike frame with about 6 inches of rear travel, now time to start looking for parts for the build, I think I'm going to need some deep pockets

DSCF2197.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

Rog

Smart looking machine Barrie and fully weather proof with the look of it

Rog

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Does this come under my bike rides or hobbies,

Is that a Giant frame? Looks similar if so they are a good bit of kit. I may have a shocker for one of those.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Beekay said:

This is one of my Hobbies.Another quiet day at the office...

And presumably you have staff to drive it??

Not really Rog. There are side panels which roll down but I've always found them to be a pain in the 'arris. Two weeks ago after a few days of rain, I went to collect from the charge bay and when I began to reverse a  load of water came off the roof, which had large depression in it. So I decided to put the nearside wheels on a grass bank to remove the rest. When I mounted the bank, bloody gallons of water cascaded down and  soaked me ! The powers that be have now repaired the roof and took the dent out. B.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, siddha said:

And presumably you have staff to drive it??

Nah, Siddah, it's me as drives it. Been quite busy today though !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, siddha said:

Is that a Giant frame? Looks similar if so they are a good bit of kit. I may have a shocker for one of those.

Not sure of the make but it could be, it's very light and already painted and lacquered, looking forward to building this one, looks like my Raleigh pioneer might be up for sale as i'm running out of room in the sheds

P1100211.jpg

Rog

After a bit of investigating the frame is a Diamondback XSL mountain bike from the early 2000's retailing between £800 and £1000 back then depending on equipment spec, the other ongoing project I have on at the moment is the 400 day torsion clock, I have now got it running continuously and in the process of regulating it, so far I've got it down to just losing ten minutes in the 24 hours so I'm getting there, once I've got it spot on you should be able to hear me give out a big cheer over in Nottingham

Rog

Finally got around to fitting a sewing machine motor and controller to the small pedestal drill, variable speed controller and 3 different pulley sizes so a good speed range to be had, 

DSCF2218.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

I have already tried it out on wood and steel, i/4 inch drill bit through 3/16 inch steel, not bad, happy at that

Rog

• Like 2
On 5/30/2023 at 8:53 PM, plantfit said:

Finally got around to fitting a sewing machine motor and controller to the small pedestal drill, variable speed controller and 3 different pulley sizes so a good speed range to be had, 

Top job Plantfit but the Elfin Safety police would be having conniptions over that unguarded belt, chuck and loose cabling.

• Like 1

Good job Plantfit! Of such and similar devises was the Industrial Revolution born and which evolved into pedal cycles, steam engines, sewing machines, Fred Dibnah and sheds full of ironmongery to fascinate and inspire generations of men and boys.

(p.s. kindly and humbly offered helpful suggestions, practice welding and wear a hair net when using drill).

• Like 1

You only need all the health and safety rules and regulations when you got idiots doing the job, proper trained time served workers already know about that stuff because they learned it in the first couple of years of their apprenticeship/ training just my opinion of course but it stood me in good stead for my career,

WW not much use for a hairnet now I'm losing my hair but I appreciate you comment, as for the welding, I always wear rigger gloves, keep any exposed skin covered and make sure I have good batteries in my headshield,

I agree with you WW about Fred and his shed full of ironmongery and hopefully youngsters will take up a bit of "back street mechanic-ing" as he called it, when I was a youngster and got my first bicycle one of the first things I did was take it to bits and rebuild it as most kids did I think and thats where we differ from a lot of youngsters today although there is some great young mechanics out there who just need the encouragement the deserve to become the next generation of Freds to keep the back street engineers alive

Rog

• Like 4

Try telling that argument to the factory inspector! I know what you mean Rog but I was the guy who dealt with them and many could not see reason. My ploy when they visited was to be amiable and ask their advice on a particular matter and whilst discussing that it kept them from wandering around the works. We didn’t condone unsafe practices by any means but some of the b******s could be very nitpicking and try to find a problem when there wasn’t one.

• Like 1

Been there and done that Phil, know what you mean about keep the guy talking, we had one inspector who insisted on having perimeter guarding around all the heavy brick making machines just a few weeks after they was all fitted with close proximity guarding, I argued the point with him saying that perimeter guards could be climbed over where close guarding had no access to moving machinery without physically removing a guard, he put a prohibition notice on the site and ordered the machines to be fitted with perimeter guarding within fourteen days, the boss was not best pleased with me but understood where I was coming from,

Rog

• Like 1

You couldn’t win with these guys if they got their teeth into you. I knew one who lived in the village. He would brag in the pub about the notices he’d served that day. He wasn’t popular amongst the blokes running businesses. There are some cowboy outfits out there but most organisations endeavour to operate in a safe manner. It’s in their interests to do so. Women factory inspectors were the worst!

Most company's now insist on seeing H&S reports and information before they will deal with you as a supplier or contractor, it all causes more expense for the company from a financial and staff points of view and it keeps them in a job, I'm all for Health and Safety in the workplace but I also all for employing the correct trained person for the job and that is where a lot of the troubles arise, low paid, inadequately trained staff equals accidents and in some cases massive fines and or imprisonment for the company owner or manager or even the injured person, there is no such thing as an accident these days because there is always someone responsible

Rog

I remember the Health and Safety Executive being set up in 1975. That was subsequent to the Robens Report on the Flixborough chemical factory explosion in 1974. Alf Robens was formerly the director of the Coal Board. I flew over the scene of the disaster near Scunthorpe a few days later and it was a scene of absolute devastation. That resulted in the Health & Safety at Work Act and, like so many things at our factory, the board put me in charge of implementing it. The workforce thought I was crazy putting up lots of safety notices and laying down the rules regarding procedures. There were job descriptions and safety training. Everything had to be seen to be done and recorded. Our insurers also wanted details on assessments and procedures. It all ultimately fell into place and there were no major incidents to record in the accident book during my tenure. It was just another headache in running a business but I really loved every minute of it!

• Like 1

All sites have the "Accident book" but on one where I worked ever dare fill one in, if anything was reported it was straight in front of the UK president and probably loss of job, it has now become another box ticking excersise, a few years ago I broke my lag at work, slipped on some ice, it was never reported because while I was at the hospital the manager reported I had done it in the car park at home when leaving for work and what the manager says was gospel so you couldn't argue

Rog

When I worked at Smith Dennis on Berridge Road, back in late 1967, my tool room gaffer happened to go on the roof to check out something. Don't quite know what happened but he stepped on,and went through the glass roof and fell on a stack of big valve castings. He smashed both his legs and injured his spine, which put him off work for nearly a year. He was our factory safety officer !

• Like 1