Thanks goodness that Health and Safety is now such an important part of the workplace, especially where machinery is concerned. I can remember my next door neighbour who worked for Rolls Royce was trying to fix one of the machines and it started up. Lucky to survive really but he was in a right mess.

My son works for a major international company in Health and Safety and the rules, especially concerning potential hazards are really strict. He does a lot of lecturing too and really enjoys his job. Now it’s more about prevention and awareness.

• Like 1
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something I've just finished, the paint is still drying. A bit different to my usual rubbish. Done it muted colours to be in tone with our quiet, centre conservatory. Used metallic colours, br

I had piano lessons around age 13-14 and reached a reasonable level, and I could sight read fairly well. I also had some training on organ, including the dreaded foot pedals. My main reason for doing

That time of the year again when most of my hobbies are done in the shed as opposed to outside the shed so now I have made a start on this year batch of articulated wooden dolls/frogs/"Pudsey's", firs

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

When I worked at Smith Dennis on Berridge Road, back in late 1967, my tool room gaffer happened to go on the roof to check out something. Don't quite know what happened but he stepped on,and went through the glass roof and fell on a stack of big valve castings. He smashed both his legs and injured his spine, which put him off work for nearly a year. He was our factory safety officer !

Our area safety officer had a finger missing, apparently he lost it working on a conveyor belt, still I suppose he knew the hazards first hand (or what was left of it) nice bloke though, got on really well with him

Rog

Heath and safety procedures are now accepted in the workplace as the norm. The concept was difficult to introduce back in the 70’s as people were set in their ways. I always apply health and safety rules when I’m in my workshop and I’ve only lost half a finger since I’ve been retired and that was horticultural!

• Like 1

Same here Phil, rigger job specific gloves (riggers for welding/grinding, grip gloves for most other jobs), safety glasses for grinding, strimmer use or hammer work, auto headshield for welding and so on, safety welly's when I'm strimmering or using rotary mower plus gloves, it's a habit I got into when I was working and I still got all me bits in the right places so either been cautious or very lucky

Rog

That which does not kill you makes you stronger!!

My maxim is look after yourself and in extremely dangerous circumstances do not put yourself in danger.

• Like 1

I do feel though, that each and every job you look at, whether at home or in the garden, if you've got any modicum of common sense, you automatically do a subconscious risk assessment. Anybody who ignores the dangers will not only put themselves at risk but anyone working in the vicinity. For example, if you were planning to prune a tree that was overhanging a cliff, you wouldn't need H&S to tell you to be careful. You would tell yourself, "Ain't no way I'm going up there with a chainsaw". Bravado is a quick route to A&E.

• Like 2

There’s an ash tree that’s just dropped a big branch on our lane this morning, totally blocking the road. We contacted the owner who’s currently away and she’s been in touch with her son in the next village who will be round to deal with it. I could get out a chainsaw and start to cut it up but I thought ‘why should I?’ Health &Safety and all that. There are plenty of much younger people around to do the lifting and I’ve got a ‘full English’, my Sunday treat, to tuck into. I can’t hear the sound of chainsawing yet though and it’s been lying there for over two hours. 

• Like 1

So there you are Phil., you did your 'self assessment' and thought better of it. Full English sounds a better alternative too. Better than my weetabix.

• Like 1

You have to have deep pockets when dealing with these matters in conservation areas. Bit like having a Grade 1 or 2 listed building. Or asking what the petrol consumption is on a 1914 4 litre Sunbeam.

If you have to ask then it is most likely you cannot afford....................

• Like 1

There’s plenty of trees in our field hedge and on our property but fortunately we’re just out of the conservation area so we can cut them as we wish. Not that we would unless it was absolutely necessary. I think four big lads from the council have pulled the branch into an open gateway on the corner leaving someone else to deal with it. The owner of the tree has a wood burner and a son with a chainsaw!

On 6/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, philmayfield said:

Food of the Gods Barrie. I guess my neighbour will get a bill from Notts CC. The tree’s in a conservation area so she wasn’t allowed to cut it down!

I’m in the village conservation area and recently applied for permission to cut down a Maple tree in the front garden. Someone from NSDC came and looked at it for half an hour and permission was subsequently given. Nothing wrong with it health wise but it was getting too big for where it was, close the the boundary wall and overhanging access to other properties further down the drive. It’s now gone and I’ve got logs to burn.

• Like 1

We had 4 trees felled last Autumn, two were dead but two were very much alive but annoying!  The tree surgeon arranged the written application and was at our property 6 weeks and 1 day after the deadline date.  We’ve got a massive pile of logs now too!   I so wish some of the London Plane street trees around our property would get a dreadful disease so they could be felled, we’d then get some sunshine and light into our garden.  I’m not a ‘tree-hugger’ …….! 

• Upvote 1

In the mid 1970’s I worked at John Players. One job I had was to feed tobacco into a large floor level hopper where was taken by conveyor belts with steel ‘hooks’ to the cutting machines on the floor below. It was occasionally necessary to crawl in to clear a blockage. The main electric feed had one of those large industrial wall mounted switches with the on/off lever on the side with a metal casting hanging on a chain which was such a shape it could clip over the on/off lever when in the off position and fasten with a padlock. You kept the key in your pocket if working in the hopper. It would have been fatal to be in there if the belt started. I don’t recall much HS training. Just someone saying lock it off if you go in there. I remember one chap lost a finger but in a different machine.

• Like 1

My dad worked for Players for over 40 years at the bonded warehouse on Triumph Road. George McDonald, big guy with a handlebar moustache. Don’t know if you ever crossed paths.

@MRS B, Old Mcdonald, didn't he have a farm too?

I used to live opposite that warehouse, down Kennington road, when I were a lad. Walked past it every day while I worked at Raleigh. 

5 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

In the mid 1970’s I worked at John Players. One job I had was to feed tobacco into a large floor level hopper where was taken by conveyor belts with steel ‘hooks’ to the cutting machines on the floor below. It was occasionally necessary to crawl in to clear a blockage. The main electric feed had one of those large industrial wall mounted switches with the on/off lever on the side with a metal casting hanging on a chain which was such a shape it could clip over the on/off lever when in the off position and fasten with a padlock. You kept the key in your pocket if working in the hopper. It would have been fatal to be in there if the belt started. I don’t recall much HS training. Just someone saying lock it off if you go in there. I remember one chap lost a finger but in a different machine.

Isolate, lock off, test, test being the most important, I remember locking off a large rotating aggregates barrel that had flames blown into it for drying aggregates before being blended with butumen to make tarmac, pleased I tested the system after locking off because the system started running, previous to me getting there an electrician was doing some work on the starter system and when he put it all together he fitted the main switch back on upside down so when I switched the power to the "OFF" position and put my lock on it what I had actually done was switch the power "ON"

Rog

• Upvote 1
On 5/21/2023 at 4:39 PM, plantfit said:

Does this come under my bike rides or hobbies, well it's in the hobbies section until it's built, lightweight alloy full suspension bike frame with about 6 inches of rear travel, now time to start looking for parts for the build, I think I'm going to need some deep pockets

DSCF2197.jpg

DSCF2198.jpg

Rog

The build so far, new wheels arrived and seat post and clamp, fitted the decals on the frame although not 100% happy with the way I put them on, now I need to buy, forks, tyres and tubes, gears and brakes and chainset, handlebars, headset and stem, looking forward to riding it

DSCF2225.jpg

DSCF2226.jpg

Rog

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MRS B said:

My dad worked for Players for over 40 years at the bonded warehouse on Triumph Road. George McDonald, big guy with a handlebar moustache. Don’t know if you ever crossed paths.

Always worked in number 2 factory in the primary department. I was only there about 18 months 1973/4. I never visited the bonded warehouses while working there and can’t say I knew your dad. I did visit the bonded warehouses years later on another job.

Rog., I really admire your dedication and determination. But this owd Philistine asks, wouldn't it be easier to buy a bike ready made from a shop? (Horace Rodgers ). As kids, we used to mackle bikes together from whatever parts we could salvage. It would make some odd looking machines that would never pass inspection, but we loved em. One of my mates had one bike that had a prestige pram front wheel, it looked like a back to front penny farthing.

More power to your elbow mate. Looking forward to see it finished.

• Like 1

I agree Barrie but this frame is new old stock from 1999-2000 and I want to build it up using parts from that era, I have just been to the bike shop and got a pair of Shwalbe 26 x 2.1 tyres of the type used during those years fifty quid bargain, now to find new old stock original Shimano gears and brakes and CK stem and handlebars, I have some Shimano clip pedals, it all takes time but hunting down the period correct parts is part of the fun

Rog

• Like 1