Not many responses to this new "hobbies" section yet Mick so I'll try another one.

What are you all growing in the garden/greenhouse this year? (apart from growing old like me)

If there's plenty of young plants left over we could perhaps have a "Swaps" section where we could swap our unwanted young plants for some different ones that are surplus to requirements.

Another way of meeting fellow Nottstalgians as well, your thoughts

Rog

I can't stand gardening although , apparently, I have inherited my dads green fingers. ! It all stems (did you see what I did there??) back to when I was forced to go up the Allotment with my dad as a kid. I hated it !!

A couple of years back , as a treat for the kids, we filled a load of planters and 'grow bags' and had , Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Radishes, Lettuces, Sweetcorn , Potatoes and Carrots. It wasn't a total success but not bad for a 'first attempt'.

We didn't do any last year as we were 'moving' but as that has been put on hold for a couple of years now , we are going to give it another go this Summer/Autumn .

Watch this space !!

I always plant tomatoes and Basil. Much better than store bought crap. Had a bumper crop last summer so I froze tomatoes and Gazpacho! Makes a pleasant winter change!

Which reminds me, we are alsoplanning to dig up some of the lawn (WHOOOOOPIE, 'cause I hate mowing that too!) and planting a bit of a 'cottage herb garden' and maybe a row or two of taters.

Lots of green beans here in GA. Plus a few Southern specials, Black eyed Peas, Collard greens. (A bit like cabbage) Tomatoes and Peppers always do pretty good here too. There is actually enough time to plant two crops. Cool weather now through about May and then late summer crops. I was actually pulling Carrots in December.

• 3 months later...

We had an allotment when living in West Byfleet, cost us all of 3 pounds a year, this was 25+ years ago. What's the going rate for one nowadays?

I pay £24.00 a year for my 300sq yd plot. That includes a water tap on the plot. It`s a good site with proper flush toilets and well maintained car park etc.

Your plot Eileen sounds much more upmarket than mine did. We had one tap for the whole bunch of plots, no loos etc. You couldn't use a hosepipe on the tap either, had to use buckets or watering cans, a long job watering everything every evening. But we loved it, and all the family would go down there every day. Of course, haven't seen our old plot for a long time, maybe there are facilities there now. I wish I could grow fruit and veg here.

My Uncle had one somewhere at the top of Gordon Road, they had taps located in every path, all the allotments were fenced and had high hedgerows. They allowed a hose to fill a 55 gallon oil drum each allotment had.

My dads (A good half mile away up Cavendish road ) didn't even have a tap!!

He had a little water butt attatched to his shed, but that didn't gather much, he used to wallk up there twice , sometimes even three, times a day, with two great big water containers in his wheel barrow. (No car in those days either !! ) and then hve to pour it into watering cans!

It wasn't till the long hot summer of '76 that "The Commitee" were finally persuaded to petition the council to install some. I think they were finally installed in around 1980!! ( 2 taps between 100 odd allotments!)

Not on Littleover Lane is it Eileen?

Aw come on M2M! Do you really know my allotment or is it one of your clever 'finding out' tricks?

Don`t keep me in suspense!

Is it still run by that that old retired D*rby bobby who keeps his old helmet in the greenhouse?

Nice chap, live across the road.

Oh gosh! You do know it. :yahoo:

No, Roy Morton is no longer involved in the allotments. I believe he`s quite frail now. We don`t see anything of him.

We`ve got a whole new committee nowadays. (I`m the secretary/treasurer/dogsbody.)

Gosh - - - - . thumbsup

We`re having an Open Day in September in aid of the National Garden Scheme. Why don`t you come along and partake of one of our legendary teas?

Gosh - - - - . :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Used to be a bunch of allotments behind Godfrey street, Netherfield. Now done away with for the Colwick loop road or whatever name it goes by now.

The way the economy is going a short course on growing veggies might be in order for everybody now. thumbsdown

Allotments are growing(!) in popularity. A few years ago you could get one quite quickly. Now most sites have got waiting lists. Ours has a list of twenty hopefuls and it`s literally a case of stepping into dead men`s gardening boots.

• 9 months later...

This winter I transplanted one of my grape vines into the greenhouse and so far it looks like it hasn't noticed that it's been moved. I shall be concentrating on SUNGOLD tomatoes this year. I grew a couple of plants last year and have to say that they are the most tasty tomatoes I have EVER eaten. They have a zingy, fruity taste all of their own.

My sweetcorn has been eaten by a family of mice who have taken up residence in the tunnel. I'm not too worried because I have some reserves set in pots. The cold, wet spring has killed 18 cucumber plants in two separate sowings. I have had to resow yet again.

I divided and transplanted my hops this winter and all but one is doing fine. Last year's poor summer prompted me to move my strawberries into the polytunnel. They are flowering their little heads off at the moment and I look forward to doing battle with the mice for a share of the fruit :o)

Grape vines?? You should see the wild grape vines around here, they tend to strangle trees, some of the vines are thicker than my thighs. The grapes are only about the size of peas, I don't know if they can be pruned to produce larger fruit, but the root stock is favoured by viticulturists to graft onto, as the roots are disease resistant.