Looks like the new solar cycle started off with a "bang" a few days back with a huge X Class solar flare that's caused a great Northern Light show that can be seen from where I live and also down as far as Yorkshire in the the UK.

It's also ionized our atmosphere and allowed long range communication on the higher Ham bands again after nearly ten years, so off out right now to throw a small tower up, stick my R5 antenna on it, rig some co-ax to my radio and get on air for the first time in years..

FINALLY!! got an antenna up and found I have a radio problem I have to sort out, a "dry" joint I suspect.

• 1 month later...

Whereabouts stateside are you dgbrit??

Off topic in a way but anyone else have memories of a saying "a sighting of the northern lights is a sign of a coming war"? as a kid I heard such more than once, with explanation there were sightings just before WW1 and WW2, not sure where said sightings were? Nottingham I guess as understand sightings if not common then not that unusual in far north of uk.