St. Augustine's Catholic School

Anyone go to this school back in 1967ish.

Me & my sister both attented this school. We wasn't cathoics, but my mum is & she got them take us on. I remember the nuns & a german male teacher. The headmistress was, Sister frances. I cannot find anything on the net about the school & the nuns, only details of the school today.

Would love to hear from anyone that went to the school. We didn't stay there long. We were always on the move & to a different school.

The only St Augustines school" I know of was in Carlton . I didn't go , I went to St Pauls C of E. but a couple of friends of mine went there, around that time too, Carol and Vivian Lewis, and a couple of brothers named Alex and Raymond (I don't remember their surnames)

I thought one of the Catholic secondary schools was "Loreto" - but it may have been an all-girls school!

Or are you referring to the one on Park Avenue, off Mapperley Road?

Yep thats the one :) I've been trying to find out if the nuns still do the teaching there. Sister Francis used to scare the living daylights outa me lol Me & my sister got the cane across our hands a few times lol

I'm glad it's a different one to the the one in Carlton (As I can't ever recall seeing a nun in the area!!...(We didn't have bad habits!!)

• 1 year later...

I am from an Italian family and my first ever school (1966/67) was St Augustines on what is now Westville Gardens, next to the St Augustines Church on Woodborough Rd. The school has been knocked down I don't know when but there is a community centre there in its place.The church is still there. I then transfered to another St. Augustines on Southcliffe Road in Carlton. This is now called Sacred Heart Catholic School. I was there from 1967/68 up until 1972. I would welcome any news from pupils from that era.

Benvenuti Moondog I did take some Christening photos at St Augustines in the late 70s, you would probably know the family.

They lived in Gedling and then moved to the top of Woodborough Road.

• 1 year later...

Me and most of my brothers and sisters went to "Gussies" in the 50s and 60s. Sister Francis was a toughie!!

I was there 1953-59!

There's a bit more info on Friends Reunited if you can be bothered to navigate through it.

I liked the site in its early days but now.............???

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I went to St Agustines on carlton hill in 1945 to 1951. I wasn't a catholic but it was the nearest school in those days. they talk today of kids bullying kids but there it was the teachers who were the bullys. I saw one lad so terrified of the headmaster whilst learning to read at his desk

a puddle of urine appeared at his feet on the wooden floor. Another boy was kicked hard in the behind by the headmaster for not getting into line quick enough, the lad squealed with pain. there was only a couple of decent teachers there.

I thought one of the Catholic secondary schools was "Loreto" - but it may have been an all-girls school!

Yes it was Lorreto, but it was St Catherine's first and it was an all girls Catholic Grammar School back in the 1960's......

• Upvote 1

Ah I fondly recall the St Catherine's girls...........

In the early 1960s I was at The Becket which was the boys catholic grammar and many of the boys had sisters at St. Catherine's, if we had not got to know girls across the river at Mundella, then we would try to get to know girls at St Catherine's through their brothers.

I dated a guy from the Beckett School, he was called Joe Doherty............I knew many St Catherine's girls too.......

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/27/2011 at 9:11 PM, Tre said:

Anyone go to this school back in 1967ish.

Me & my sister both attented this school. We wasn't cathoics, but my mum is & she got them take us on. I remember the nuns & a german male teacher. The headmistress was, Sister frances. I cannot find anything on the net about the school & the nuns, only details of the school today.

Would love to hear from anyone that went to the school. We didn't stay there long. We were always on the move & to a different school.

Hi tre i attended there 1965 ish , can't remember any teachers , but we had a warm bottle of milk with a straw , and you could buy biscuit abbey crunch from the school shop !

St augustines that's the one where we were marched down the road two by two to the church wasn't guys , that echo in the church scared me !

I used to walk to school there via Dame agnes street .