Chances are, just the power supply filter capacitors will need replacing, it will also have a linear power supply if it's old. Switching supplies only became popular about 15 years back.

All low voltage electrolytics are readily available, most under two bucks.

Try Mouser, Allied, Jameco, NTE, or MCM Electronics, solid state components and audio modules from NTE and Mouser.

If you get any problems locating them, which I doubt from the above suppliers, I have other's listed. Mouser don't have any minimum order limit and are very reasonable in prices. They also have higher voltage electrolytics in stock for old tube equipment.

Help needed,

I have a 1990's Realistic pro 39 hyperscan radio scanner that has stopped working, It scans up and down through all the frequencies, squelch works ok but it's not picking up anything, you can't put in known frequencies either because some of the number buttons don't seem to connect,

any ideas?

Rog

I als have a 1990's Realistic pro XX something still boxed.

That dont pick owt up either.

I thought you could hack these to pick up wider frequencies?

Maybe one of the chips gone faulty Roger, hard to say without having it on the bench.

Mick, many of the old scanners were only capable of receiving only the designed frequencies. Later ones had cell phone block which could be reopened.

Expanding on what the scanner was designed for is usually impossible.

• 3 months later...

You're thinking of 450-550 volt electrolytics!! The low voltage ones tend to dry out, the tops show convex structure instead of being flat. What happens electrically, is they lose their ability to store power.

I've had high voltage caps scare the crap out of me, ie 5000 volt rating when they blow, they sound like a gun going off! Low voltage just fail, and the circuit just doesn't function anymore.

Thats what happened to my video card the tops blew off but the stuff was to small to replace funny thing though it still worked

Then my LCD Monitor did the blue flame thing but it was under warranty but not made anymore so they sent me this great big one, Thanks Samsung

Anywhow it sounds like you are a electronic tech so i have a Question ,I just noticed that VHT guitar amps have a handwired amp really cheap but made in China do you think if i got one i could replace all the caps & stuff in it if need be

Sounds like a piece of junk, I'd look for one on "fleabay" that was made elsewhere, some of the older US made guitar amps were well designed and worked well. They can be picked up fairly cheaply on "fleabay" Another place to look are flea markets and "Freecycle" on the net.

ABSOLUTELY! rotfl.gif