Jacks cafe where the Aces hung out

Anyone remember in Beeston then go for a run down the Blvd

I remember it well...........Would stop at Middle Gates for a fag & a natter....lol Watched Sambo getting chased by a nice (haha) police officer one night. He was only caught cause he stopped at middle gates.

I remember it well...........Would stop at Middle Gates for a fag & a natter....lol Watched Sambo getting chased by a nice (haha) police officer one night. He was only caught cause he stopped at middle gates.

One night Sambo and I were at Dunkirk end by the island waiting for a gap in the traffic so we could race by the middle gates. Off we went, I had the slightly faster bike, and was doing about a ton five at the gates.At the Beeston end I looked round and saw that we had been joined by PC Shirley on his Triumph Trophy.

I scraped it round the island and got valve bounce as I accelerated back down the boulevard. I cut in front of a lorry and drove into the lay-by at the middle gates.

Sambo came past oblivious that he was being followed by Shirley. I remember Shirley's ariel being horizontal as he went past at a ton.

Sambo got banned for racing on the highway, there was no speeed limit on the boulevard.

BTW are you the Pat who used to live on Rodney Road, and I used to give a lift to from the Toreador?

were you at middle gates when someone blasting up braked without warning in come in (as you did) and car following at similar high speed hit his brakes, did 360 spin and finished up in opposite carriageway where he continued onwards as if nothing had happened? another night I recall was when Digger? no idea of real name or bike, racing ernie daft on his sports cub forgot there was an island at dunkirk!

were you at middle gates when someone blasting up braked without warning in come in (as you did) and car following at similar high speed hit his brakes, did 360 spin and finished up in opposite carriageway where he continued onwards as if nothing had happened? another night I recall was when Digger? no idea of real name or bike, racing ernie daft on his sports cub forgot there was an island at dunkirk!

OH THE MEMORIES FROM ALL OF YOU . PIGGY ALWAYS SAYS AS WE PAST MIDDLE GATES REMEMBER SAMBO SITTING UP ON THE EAGLE TO GET THE BEST VIWES OF THE RACES.AND OF COURSE WHEN SHERLIEY CHASED HIM UP THE BULIVARD TO ROBINS THE NIGHT BEFORE HE EMIGRATED TO AUSTRALIA . HE TOLD HIM TO DO WHAT YOU WANTSHERLIEY LET HIM OFF AND TOLD HIM TO BE SURE NOT TO COME BACK WHILE HE WAS STILL ON DUTY.

STANDING IN WHITEHART YARD WHATCHING THE LADS RACE OF DOWN ABBEY ST TO THE BULIVARD . AND WATING TO SEE WHO HAD COME OF BEFORE THEY GOT BACK.

>>remembers dygor.....He gave me a lift home 1 night.......got stopped by the police........turned out dygor had NO licence........lol

PC Shirley...........what a s**t eh?..........lol and I so remember that night............Sambo sittin on the eagle......too funny

Yup Old Ace............lol

Hi Pat, long time no see, about 45 years I reckon, have you figured out who I am yet?

I Remember the time I was giving you a lift home one night, and we were stopped by PC Metcalfe on Bridgford Road, just passed the railway bridge, I was doing a mite over 30mph. Metcalfe was a good copper, unlike Shirley, most times he would give you a lecture rather than book you. Trouble was he didn't half spray when he talked, you just had to sit there and take it.

Like all of the Aces girls, you were a brilliant pillion passenger. I don't know how you did it. All us blokes were bricking it on the back seat.

There is a nice photo of you over on the Rockers Reunion sight sitting on Keith Towers' Bonneville.

Are you going to the Skeggy do this August? I went last year and hung out with some of the other originals. Johnny Dench was there with Johnny Coombes, Paul Newbury, Tony Starkey and Mick Marriott.

Hi Old Ace,

Haven't figured it out yet, have a few ideas. I'm still a blonde so it may take a while.....lol. I saw the pic on the Rockers site & have posted on there too.....A big list of names, which I'm sure you'll remember.

Doubt I'll get to Skeggy this year BUT gonna try to make it to something.

You know....I'm mot so sure I'd be a good pillion any more. Had my own bike in the 70's & 80's & once you've been up front you're not so good on the back.

I lost all my biker pics...(I had some good ones in colour) so if anyone has any of me I would really appreciate if you could post or send 'em

What a great bunch you all were & I'm sure still are.....lol

From my limited experience on the pillion, i think the reason for making rubbish passengers is that each rider has a slightly different riding style IE I may take one bend fractionally wider but a deeper lean at a slightly faster speed and therefore when on the back I'm going through my own body movements to adjust (Mentally) for the way I'd take the bend , my mate would then slow later but harder , not "conk" it over as far but still go round as quick thus leaving my body in all the wrong positions to take the bend vis a vis "S41tt1ng me up"

(Does that makes sense !!???)

When I was on the pillion, I was always aware that I might have taken a bend, overtaken, etc slightly differently, and we all had total confidence in our own ablility as riders. That being said I always went with the bike no matter what the rider did.

When Sambo and I both lived in Lady Bay, if one of us was off the road, the other would sometimes provide a lift. I did many miles on the back of Sambo, not always a pleasant experience.

But I can say that when I was on the front I loved to hear him say, as he was getting, on words like 'take is steady' or 'watch it the roads are a bit wet'. Needless to say I totally ignored him.

I can only recall 2 crashes when I wasn't driving, compared to maybe 9 or 10 when I was, but then I was driving myself 99% of the time. The serious ones were caused by car drivers pulling on or off the road without looking. the others were sliding off because excess speed for the conditions. The former were usually painful with broken bones, the latter usually just gravel rash and bruises.

remember one sunday we all met up at the commodore car park to go to matlock, what a day Black Sam had! Started off on back of I think Mick Selby? got as far as Cinderhill Pit where they came off, think Mick went home but Sam after jumping about a bit got on back of someone else despite ripped jeans and gravel rash, Did you know he was white underneath? lol, where he hadn't been grazed too bad deffo white, couple of the lads on about sanding rest of him down to match! (nothing racial, he was laughing too) anyway on we go again till whoever he was on back of braked a bit hard at Ambergate, and Sam got my left handlebar in small of his back! more jumping about! Not far after that my bonnie started smoking bad and chucking oil out of breather so turned round and headed home therefor missed rest but heard that night at White Hart on getting to Matlock Sam said words to effect of "**** this for a lark", and took up offer of lift home in a car (maybe Pete Butlers? I think a Triumph Herald) only to crash through a wall!

I remember Sambo on the eagle & seem to remember i got a ticket for wrong number plates front was different to the rear, I didnt have money to tax it so i got tax disc at TMS the bike scrapper& a number plate that matched but couldnt find the front one, & then got busted for speeding at the clifton end, Not a very good night

I think Sambo went to Oz as he got banned for 10 yrs or life if i remember correctly

The most memerable run that anyone ran down the Blv was Starky in the snow & ice & Me & David spinning on the sidecar entering the Middle gates & knocking a bunch of bikes over,A few unhappy people

I think the record for prangs in a short time was held by Martin (Nature Boy). He dropped his A10 and bent the forks. He continued to ride his bike although it was virtually unrideable,in following 3 weeks he came off another 13 times. After the last time the bike was pretty badly damaged, he only claimed for one crash, the first one. Naturally he claimed for all the damage, I think he got away with it.

Each night at the Toreador he would come in with another set of scratches, or new limp, or a freshly bandaged arm.

Who was the guy that broke his leg had it in a cast then next week broke the other one riding his bike again

One of the best demo's I saw on the boulevard was Graham Selby and his mate whose name I forget,(he got a 4 year ban for doing a ton+ along Central Avenue in Bridgford one night). They were both on CSR's, and were heading Beeston way.

A car was overtaking another as the bikes were tonning it along, as the overtaking car was returning to the inside lane it was overtaken on either side by the CSR's. The timing was incredible, there were only inches to spare all around. They never hesitated or shut off, they would never have got away with in another hundred tries.

Who was the guy that broke his leg had it in a cast then next week broke the other one riding his bike again

I don't know that one, but I remmember when Sambo misjudged a gap betweem cars and broke his leg. He coninued riding after wetting the plaster so he could bend his knee a bit.

He kept on scraping the metal hoop at the bottom of the plaster when cornering. Eventually it wore through and he had to cope with two spikes instead of a semi circle.

Ha the word DEMO thats it DEMO , DEMO,

You must have been there when i was i remember that like yesterday those CSRs

I also remember a Sidecar that was very quick one night going Beeston way over a ton

Anyone remember Foxy he crashed really bad into a wall & really did a number one his face

not the same speed wise as there were 2 up on a Norton Jubilee but when Derby Rd was 2 way up to Canning Circus this guy overtook a trolley going down towards town, and as another coming up went between that trolley and far side pavement! total lunacy,lol, re the csr rider wasn't a guy called pat was it?

The CSR rider might have been called Mick somebody. He was down the Sante Fe one night when Ronny May asked him outside over a girl they both fancied. I can't remember what happened next.

The girl (Sue?) lived near Edwalton and he was coming back from her place when he lost his license.

One night I was doing a demo towards Beeston,I'd just changed up to top, when the back wheel locked, my first thought as I pulled in the clutch lever was big ends. Nothing happend, the back tyre was still screeching. S++t it's the primary chain, nothing to do but hold on. I skidded from a ton+ to about 20mph without much trouble, then it started snaking. I held on to it until it stopped.

My sense of relief was short-lived as I found myself in the middle of the dual carriageway unable to move my bike as the back wheel was still locked solid. I waved over to the middle gates, where the bikers stopped cheering and clapping as they realised it was not a deliberate part of the demo.They ran over and we got the bike to the gates.

The speedo drive had siezed, I had to drive home with the back wheel as loose as I could manage. I had a new back tyre on which now had a beautiful flat spot.