Have just been informed by email that NTL are uprating the speed of my broadband from 300k to 1mb, this will be completed by the end of October at no extra cost to myself, mmmm one always thinks that you get nothing for nothing....

I shall wait with baited breath.

A crazy crazy

Your connection will soon be moving at a blistering speed, it will be even easier to seek out those special offers from the likes of Bargains.4.u.com, or Marks.and.spencer.co.uk, the caveat being this free upgrade in speed brings with it a download cap, in the case of the 300k is 3gb a month. this goes against the grain when you consider broadband is capable of unlimited download, and this being why the majority of subscribers signed up for the service in the first place.. my feeling is, if ever they decided to strictly impose these restrictions, there's going to be a lot of disgruntled subscribers.

NTL broadband info.

In the mail they didn't speak of capping, I suppose this is to be mentioned at a later date. I have around six months to go and then I can shop around if I hit any problems.

The capping is not really a problem to me as I don't download that much, but I think it is a liberty for the people who do use it a lot.

I'm with them...

A crazy crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Think you'd have to go on one of them illegal file sharing sites and download the entire Cliff Richard collection over a period of weeks before you'd exhaust your bandwidth allocation

Not much chance of that then!

I'm with NTL and they are having to compete heavily with BT who are offering good value for money too. Think the customer can only win here

Have just been informed by email that NTL are uprating the speed of my broadband from 300k to 1mb, this will be completed by the end of October at no extra cost to myself, mmmm one always thinks that you get nothing for nothing....

I shall wait with baited breath.

A

crazy crazy

You can go to NTLWORLD.COM and upgrade online...Do it now..It's free

Well I got so far through it then...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server in dobBLBilling. NewADOConnection in dobBLBilling. ExecuteCommand in dobBLBilling.clsPaymentMethodNoTrans RetrievePaymentMethods error '8004d00a'

New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator.

/scripts/payment/list_payment_methods.asp, line 149

The only problem I find with NTL is the service which, to be kind, is bloody abysmal.

Recently, upon returning from holiday, I found a double bill as I hadn't paid the previous months bill before I went away.

As I was opening the mail, the phone rang and it was NTL asking if I wanted to pay via credit card. I said that I would prefer to send a cheque which I would do that morning. The guy agreed.

About an hour later, I found that my phone had been cut off. I contacted NTL from a friend's phone and was told that the guy I had spoken to had cut it off because I didn't want to pay by credit card. I don't have a bloody credit card.

I contacted BT and arranged for a BT line.

That afternoon I had another call from NTL and it turned out that my phone was OK for incoming but not outgoing calls. This is a very serious situation for us as my wife suffers from the Type 1 Latex Allergy which means that, should she come into contact with latex, she could go into anaphylactic s hock.

This time the young lady said that it was a courtesy call to see if I was satisfied with their service. You can imagine what I said. I told her that I had just contacted BT and she asked me to hold on while she fetched her manager. He was most apologetic and, after I told him of the allergy problem, said that I would be placed on their 'Lifeline' system which meant that, in future, nobody would be able to cut me off. He also offered me two months free line rental.

I accepted and in the next two weeks my phone was cut off four times. So much for NTL and their Lifeline system. :angry:

Great! .. now don't get downloading any of that Demis Roussos stuff !

my advice is you spend your 3gb download per month on something worthwhile, either, Des O Connor or Max Bygraves, then, should you inadvertently receive a reprimand from NTL for oversteppiing the mark, it'll be too late, cos the songs will have already been placed in your collection, with the likes of Daniel O donnel, Tiny Tim, and the Sir Humphrey Bertwhistle ensemble!

The CHIMNEYS! now there was a group!.. each one standing over 6' 10" high in their stackers, with their Les Paul's beating out the latest Donny offerings! a true phenomenon in their own time, and a group in which evey up and coming Bay City Roller fan would aspire to be!

Puts me in mind of a group that used to play at Yates in the late 80's-90's.

One was a gary glitter clone. another was a Dave hill from Slade look alike.

The later would get strapped on to an upright turntable affair, and slowly spin round whilst playing the guitar. And very good music they would play too.

I wonder what they were called?