11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Great find Chulla. 

Would it fit under "Nottingham companies then and now"?

An interesting  historical film in which the commentary is not quite PC by today’s standards, women working in the drawing office, shock horror.

When watching the factory planning using paper cut outs of machines it reminded me of the owner of the toolroom where I did my apprenticeship who when  purchasing any new machines always insisted on having a scale model which he used to plan the layout with. It was not unusual to go back work after the summer holidays and find that the machines and benches had been re-arranged.

Actually it was not a 'find' Oz. I have my own DVD copy. Years ago I hitched a ride in the Company's Navajo aircraft and flew down to RR Bristol where all of the original film was stored and viewed it, reels of it that had been transferred from 35mm to 16mm. Along with the film crew a stills photographer took loads of photographs and these survive in a large album. A wonderful historic record.

I am writing a book about the Merlin engine, and when ready for publication (don't ask me when} it is the intention to include a copy of the DVD.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't see a more-relevant thread to put this in. Maybe we should have an Industry thread.   All you industry enthusiasts will like this film. It was filmed in 1943 at the Rolls-Royce factori

Great find Chulla.  Would it fit under "Nottingham companies then and now"?   An interesting  historical film in which the commentary is not quite PC by today’s standards, women working

A few from our little sojourn over to "Bomber County" last Wednesday. Another great day out , glad to meet up with Rog again and some brilliant banter too!! We were lucky to catch a 'roll demo' on two

I will look forward to the book Chulla.

In the mid seventies I worked in QA and I spent a lot of time travelling between Derby, Filton and Barnoldswick as the company I worked for was making parts for the RB211, Harrier, Spey derivative marine engines and the nuclear engine division.