Hi TYAFANS. You have started something here. I never grasped Pet Sounds either, but that's people's choice. I've argued endlessly about pop and rock for over 50 years with folk who don't like what I do. I've never been a great fan of Motown, soul and disco either.

I could never understand the popularity of Queen, Lennon, Aunty Elton, or Neil Young. I've seen most of the pop and rock acts since 1959. My faves were Rory Gallagher, Groundhogs, Who, Steve Marriott and the original line up of Fleetwood Mac.

Worst acts seen were Roxy Music, Dire Straits, Alison Moyet and the Stones mid 80's.

Re Rory, no one and I mean NO ONE comes remotely close to having a rapport with the audience that he had. His live gigs were legendary. 3hrs + some nights. A great gent and a sad loss.

At the moment, I'm listening to the Allman Brothers, Rodney Crowell and John Fogerty.

Cheers.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone' recorded on the Sun label in 1955 by Elvis Presley.

'My Bucket's Got A Hole In It' by Sonny Burgess was recorded on the Sun label in 1957. Sonny Burgess was one of the founders of Rock & Roll at the Sun Record Company and, although in his eightie

Marty Wilde with 'Sea Of Love' which was released in 1959.  

Hello basfordred - I love most music, but then again I do have ones that just dam-well rub me the wrong way - Springsteen for one, Little Feat for another, Abba....John Couger Melloncamp is another (except Paper and Fire)......Mashall Tucker Band (except Can't You See)....Joplin as in Janis "Kozmic Blues" album - Leonard Cohen - Dylan singing.......but I can handle Neil Young's voice somehow.......Tie your mother down Queen and their album Play The Game is their best as is the song Stone Cold Crazy.......John Sebastian at Woodstock (sucks) - Paul Butterfield's Blues Band at Woodstock (sucks)...... Joni Mitchell -(not my cup of tea) nor is Buffy Saint Marie.....yet Joan Baez is a true talent, but not for me either. Roxy Music, nothing in my collection by them......Dire Straits first album I really like.....Tom Petty's first album I like, and The Cars first album is fantastic.......Aldo Nova I really like - Boston's first album....Van Halen's first album.......The Romantics (What I Like About You) is perfect.

Mr. Gallagher - you said it all .... I never saw him in person, only on video - dvd. The audience was with him when he walked on stage, all he had to do was play and be himself....nothing more. I know nothing about his personal life....his likes or dislikes - so maybe you could fill me in. His brother handeled things, and I've heard nothing bad about him - he's active in his brothers memory events and products. I do have the Rory BBC Sessions - and most of his other recordings.....my first Rory album was Photo Finish.....got a very late start I know - then I had the 1974 Irish Tour album. He was a loner....liked to read, and play his guitar....and drink too much apparently....and was moody according to his brother.

A good friend of mine did a tribute to Rory.....and I already know what you're thinking - why bother when you have all of Rory's recordings.

My friends name is Richie Arndt and his album is Rorymania.....I love it to death......try it out sometime - when you feel like it.

Your friend in music - Dave (spelling mistakes are always free).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi TYAFANS. You have started something here. I never grasped Pet Sounds either, but that's people's choice. I've argued endlessly about pop and rock for over 50 years with folk who don't like what I do. I've never been a great fan of Motown, soul and disco either.

I could never understand the popularity of Queen, Lennon, Aunty Elton, or Neil Young. I've seen most of the pop and rock acts since 1959. My faves were Rory Gallagher, Groundhogs, Who, Steve Marriott and the original line up of Fleetwood Mac.

Worst acts seen were Roxy Music, Dire Straits, Alison Moyet and the Stones mid 80's.

Re Rory, no one and I mean NO ONE comes remotely close to having a rapport with the audience that he had. His live gigs were legendary. 3hrs + some nights. A great gent and a sad loss.

At the moment, I'm listening to the Allman Brothers, Rodney Crowell and John Fogerty.

Cheers.

Always interesting to hear of others tastes in music. I once saw Ray Charles at the Odeon many years ago and was very disappointed. Some would say this is sacrilege but we like what we like and have much to choose from.

• Upvote 1

bowdown I was treated to a real good night of music last night 'on the telly':

First it was Elton John, accompanied at the end of the show by his friend of 50 years, Rod Stewart.

Followed by 'easy listening' on BBC4.

And to finish off I was treated to Andy Williams for a couple of hours.

Wasn't all 'Rock and Roll' but I got my fair shares - Whoops! Sorry! I should have said sheers! :crazy:

• Upvote 1

bowdownERRATA: I should have written 'shears', last word, last line @ #162. No other excuse, except that it must have been around my bed time...............

PS: watched the Andy Williams show again tonight, courtesy BBC I Player; he sang most of his memorable hits - here was a fellow who could truly sing. :Kiss:

Can well recommend 'Andy Williams Sings Duets', also on I Player; Andy sings with the greatest: Tony Bennett, Pearl Bailey, Shirley Bassey, Sammy Davis Jnr to name but a few.........................oh! and Dusty Springfield.

• 3 weeks later...

off to mfn tomorow for jonny cash tribute night looks like being an other good night andonly a fiver toget in . malcs teddys last week was a great night with great company. will be a lot of same croud down this week so even if the tribute is not much good we will still have a good night with some good laughs

• 3 weeks later...

Never got into Elvis, I thought he was an oily mammas boy who could sing a bit. I preferred Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis,and Eddie Cochran. My mate and I used to frequent a second hand record stall in the Central Market on Saturday mornings around 1960-63. We would rummage through hundreds of 45's looking for anything an the London Atlantic, Coral or Pye International labels or other obscure items. We got some great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael,

I just typed in Billy Fury Documentary you tube, and it is very interesting. There is a lot of early footage and his family and friends all talking about his life and rise to fame.It is rather long so get comfy, I will finish it tomorrow, really enjoyed it so far. :)

• Upvote 1