Anyone remember the Rag & bone man

i got a gold fish or was it a balloon, Wigman Rd, then got chased down one of the alleyways by a runaway gipsy horse

I remember once getting a day old chick from the reg & bone man. I put it in a shoe box on the hearth but me Mam said it would just die and she gave it to a neighbour who kept chickens on his allotment. That Christmas we got a chicken from the neighbour as usual and I was indignant that Mam had to pay him for it as we`d given him a baby one to rear.

(I know it prolly died anyway but they tried to spare me the anguish!)

I used to get a colouring book and some cheap wax crayons from our R&G man dahn Bathley street

Rog

I don't ever remember getting owt from our Rag and Bone man , but then again I don't remember giving the scruffy little 'erbert owt either!! (We wuz far too poor tugiyowt away)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Brother in Law tells me that Rag & Bone man still tats around Sawley and Long Eaton, announcing his presence with a trumpet!

I can just remember the knife grinder coming round the streets in the late 40's early 50's. Never saw the umberella repair man though!

There are two rag & bone men who run around Long Eaton & Sawley.

One blows a trumpet then yells something indiscernible as they drive round in their pick up.

It may be that this is a recording as it comes out of a loudspeaker.

Always amazes me that he comes weekly but his pick up is always stacked.

Offer 'em some rags and bones and see what they say :biggrin: They perform a service saving us taking stuff to the tip and picking up metal bits from fly tip heaps....but I wouldn't leave anything metal in the front garden.

Round here, at least, there's a modern variation on the rag and bone man …..guys who drive around in small pick-up trucks looking for scrap metal which has been left lying around (deliberately or otherwise)

If you have any old metal item you want rid of, just leave it by the front path of your house, and I guarantee it will be gone within 24 hrs

We used to have a rag and bone man come round our estate. In exchange for a few rags you got a goldfish, my mum gave me some rags and i split them into two lots and I got a fish with one half and my mate went and got me another with the other half.We had one of them for years, one morning we came down stairs to find that Fred the fish had somehow jumped out of his bowl, he was stuck to the lino but after pouring water over him then putting him back in the bowl he recovered and started swimming and never seemed any the worse for his experience. We get the roving van going round picking up scrap metal here too, don't know if they are from the gipsy site on Moor Road Bestwood.

Dennis.

• 1 month later...

There must be money even in steel?

Will weigh in the old radiators when I replace them :)

Theres not much money in steel, about £150.00 per tonne. Copper is about £4000.00 per tonne. There used to be a scrap merchant near asda in Long Eaton, I think the nearest 1 to you would be Wards at Ilkeston or Sims or EMR at Dunkirk. They dont pay out in cash anymore due to the amount of metal being stolen.

All new rules this year to try and prevent metal theft and tax evasion.

No cash payouts allowed. As a private person you would need photo ID, proof of address and be paid by cheque.

As a business/regular customer you have to have an account and the payments are made by BACS into that specific account.

That plus CCTV recording has made a lot of the roving scrap men look elsewhere for money.

Colin

When you see the scrap men they are carrying mostly fairly lightweight steel items like old shopping trollys?

In that case it cant be worth collecting?

I do have some copper to weigh in, quite a weight in fact :)

Is it a high price, is there an online index like Forex?

One item is a copper cylinder with some brass fittings.

Strip the brass fittings of the cylinder they go in seperately. A 36" high x 18" dia cylinder will fetch you about £50 on a good day. Separate all brass, copper, clean copper, lead, steel etc, that way you will get the best price for your metal. The price varies from day-to-day but its pretty stable at the moment because so many have stopped doing it due to the regs now in force.

Check the rules about car insurance you could get stopped by the cops who will want to check it. You should be OK as you are not a trader.

But as a for instance the guy I know who does it for a business has to have a councils carriers licence, with goods insurance.

My man who works for me we are heating engineers took a cylinder and a couple of bags of brass and brazier in two weeks ago and got £194-00p

Colin

My dad, being a builder, always collected bits of copper and brass, lead etc. to weigh in.

When I started work as an apprentice electrician, I worked mainly on new Wimpy houses for my first 2 years learning the basics.

I was amazed at the copper lying around as waste, pipe off cuts, and bits of copper wire left after second fixing. So I started collecting it religiously every lunch break in my ex army "snap bag".

Around every 6 weeks I would get dad to run me down to Trickets and weigh it in, used to make me a tidy little sum and went towards my first car I bought.

To this day I still hate waste.

When i first came to oz I used to collect waste off cuts of hardwood timber, from building sites (all thrown on the rubbish heap) and make small jewellery boxes and other things.

The wood was Jarrah and Marri, beautiful stuff when finished off, could never understand how it could all be wasted and thrown away.

Now thanks to the tree huggers and greenies, it has become a prize timber as it comes from old growth forests which are now protected, and very desirable in the furniture trade.

All building timber here is now imported pine etc. or some weird South East asian varieties, like Batu,

• Upvote 1

Yes I thought you got a better price for separating the metals

Thanks.

I've got some 1.5" to 2" pipes that run through from an old back boiler up to where the cylinder was.

I think I might strip them out as well.

Mick if the pipes are old there is just a chance they could be 20 thread, look like screwed steel but made of copper. Give em a good scrape just to check.

Used to know a man who made a lot of money when Vic center was built. He was the owner of the scrap yard on Hayden Rd, near Nottm Rd. He put a price for removing the scrap from a hotel on Milton St. He was the only one who realised the heating system had been installed in 20 thread.

Colin

There copper alright, and they are thick walled, the ran to a heavy solid copper back boiler I took out years ago, and still have :)