Don't know if this topic has been covered before, but I've often wondered that if I could go back in time in Nottingham for one day with my digital camera, what year would it be. Does anyone want to start the ball rolling?

I'll be slightly greedy and have more than one

Back to a year when Robin Hood was around (?!) and Nottingham Castle was a real working castle

And back - not quite so far - to the year I was born to see what the world looked like then.

• Upvote 1

Interesting topic, I think I'd go for 1642 and the raising of the Royalist standard and, perhaps, 1811 to follow the Luddites.

The night of the 'Nott'm blitz' (Knowing I was immune of course !!)

I'd be happy to go back to September 1968, the year I left School

and would photograph Nottingham in detail then.

And have opten wished I had been into photgraphy then!

1966 and all that. Just make sure you take plenty of batteries and memory cards.....

And stand on the touch line next to the German goal in the first period of extra time taking loads of shots as the ball clearly crosses the line (And if it didn't , use photo shop to prove it did !!).........englandflag.gif

• 3 months later...

How about the late 1940`s when Gregory Peck made a personal appearance on Stage at " The Odeon " I also saw Stan Kenton and his Orchestra there in around 1962. I also met that night my old school pal " Ginger " " Mutt" Geof Thomas, are you still around Geof ?

• 7 months later...

I would take a camera and photograph every street, shop, bus, railway locomotive, trucks, carriages. people's fashions, older folk, industry, consumer item (wireless, tv, etc.), every aspect of Victoria station, every cinema foyer, every pub interior, trolley buses and cars.

Why? To fill in all the missing gaps before the demolition of the town and its old character.

• Upvote 1

I would take a camera and photograph every street, shop, bus, railway locomotive, trucks, carriages. people's fashions, older folk, industry, consumer item (wireless, tv, etc.), every aspect of Victoria station, every cinema foyer, every pub interior, trolley buses and cars.

Why? To fill in all the missing gaps before the demolition of the town and its old character.

Sorry for another reply - Thats my aim for this year! Im going to get as many pics of local areas & around the city, all the things you mentioned & get them printed, ill keep them for when my children grow up so they can see that nottingham was like when i was their age etc.

• Upvote 1

Back far enough to my early teens, when my now deceased relatives were still around, I'd interview all of them to discover my lineage from their youth, I've been unable to track my ancestry through normal channels census etc..............................as I'm sure I have royalty somewhere in there, I'm certain of it!!!

'Twas the night I met my late wife at the YMCA on Shakespeare Street. Wish I'd had a video camera then but they were only a dream then.

Sorry, I had no intention of dragging up sad memories. I'll stop asking folk to expand on their posts from now on.

Sorry, I had no intention of dragging up sad memories. I'll stop asking folk to expand on their posts from now on.

Hey, no problem Compo. They were good memories.

Sometimes folks think widows/ers will be upset by mention of their departed spouse. Thus they don't mention them or apologise if they do.

Often we like to talk about them. They were a major part of our lives and still would be if they could. My kid's and I sometimes laugh over some of the whacky things mom may have done, and it even brings a tear, but they are good memories nonetheless.

If I didn't want to talk about something I wouldn't post about it.

• Upvote 5

Thanks Loppylugs mi duk. I have a habit of opening me gob before thinking.

You're welcome!

We've probably all opened our mouths too quick at one time or another, but in this case you didn't.

I enjoy internet forums and e-mail but lack of body language can often be a problem. Folks don't know we might have a grin on our face when we make a comment.