I enjoy internet forums and e-mail but lack of body language can often be a problem. Folks don't know we might have a grin on our face when we make a comment.

Thats what those (Mostly) none functioning Emoticons are there for ............................................ slywink

• 2 weeks later...

Back to about 1895 before Charlotte Street , Mount East street & others dissapeared on the building of Victoria Station (20 + pubs went).

The Middle Hill, Garners Hill Broad/Middle/ Narrow Marsh & Weekday Cross areas during the same period.

• Like 1

If I had a time machine (tried building one, another dismal failure) I'd use it for humanity reasons, Go back to 1066 for example and say to King Harold "keep you eye on that one", tell Titanic passengers to get the next boat, or suggest to Hiroshima residents August 6th 1945 might be a good day to visit relations 100 miles away (early in the morning)

easter weekend 1969 in skeggy have a few photoes of this weekend but not many, atlantic bar when we arived sat and atlantic bar when we left monday , interesting hey ash.

• 2 years later...

Bump

Before my arrival in this world I know, but when ever I am daydreaming about the past, I often think about my Parents. I try to imagine them before they became Mam and Dad. When they were young, free and single. I would like to go back to June 1946 and see them at the moment they met each other. Dad just out of the Navy walking along the platform at the station Mam worked at during the War. (I don't know if it was Midland or Victoria) Apparently he asked one of her workmates what her name was and whistled her and called her name. The rest is History.

Also 1948 to 59. My childhood in Gedling Village. Not a lot of money around, but lots of happy memories.

• Upvote 5

I think my parents must have seriously struggled to make ends meet. After the war my dad found decently paid work hard to come by; he used to be a young knife maker in Sheffield but then the family were bombed-out so they all moved to Nottiingham whilst he was away serving in the RAF. He had a job at Raleigh for a while but then for whatever reason ended up as a bread delivery man. Luckily, his stepfather started a small business floorlaying and he took up the job for life. I recall being hard-up, as in never having new clothes or posh grub but it must have been difficult for the two of them to have to scrimp and scrape to feed the family.

• Like 1

Re your request for more info Compo, sorry hadn't been back on this topic till now but Christmas Eve 1963 was when I met my first serious girlfriend and although I was happily married for 42 years after (to someone else) still thought alot of her and wondered how things might have turned out had I not had a bike crash (I was on pillion) the night before I was due to meet up again with her after we'd split up for awhile,

Annesleyred 1865 = #38-

Ian Storey-Moore, an English football record transfer at £250,000, some of the useless bu99ers get that per week now!! kickme

If the time machine is confined to Nottingham, I would have liked to have seen Charles I raise his standard. He was a shortarse. His armour is still in the Tower of London and it looks like a childs. He also had a stutter. I cannot imagine him getting through his alleged stirring speech at the time without him hanging up on a few words. I imagine that the reality was "You must fight Cr, Cr, Cr" "Do you mean Cromwell your majesty? " Yes thats the bogger."

If the time machine extends to France, I would like to have seen the battle of Agincourt. I do hope that the time machine would let me take a goretex jacket as it rained heavily on the march to Agincourt. I have walked the battlefield, given many talks about the battle, but I have no idea how the English (and Welsh) archers formed up, or what the cloud of arrows sounded like, how dense was the arrow pattern, or even by what commands the archers followed. Its only recently that we knew what type of bow they used.

My grandfather was in the battle of Passchendaele in WW1 and was in a trench within 100 meters of a certain Austrian corporal called Hitler. I just wish I could have said to him, " you see that one with the 'tash" Put a round through his head and spare us an awful lot of problems"

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Totally off topic but, whilst on the subject of red onions ^^^^, I remember going to a gig at the TBI in the '60's featuring the Aussie jazz band named "The Red Onions". This was long before the vegetable version of the red coloured onion was the least bit familiar in the UK.

The thing that made this night out memorable was the air in the pub was saturated with the stench of cannabis. This wasn't so much from the audience (there weren't many of us) but from the band who, I later learned, were incapable of playing a note without having become totally stoned before, and whilst, on stage.

It wasn't a notable night, music wise but the results of the passive cannabis smoking produced some very strange reactions from the assembly.