• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Rob.L, 168AAL was issued mid-1958 so your dad probably had an A35, not the A30 that ceased production in 1956. Outwardly very similar, the A35 had a larger rear window, flashing indicators and a p

Quite possible that I got it wrong, but my excuse is that I was only three years old...

Yes I thought that, but more "round the corner"? and council houses in distance would not be there, also destination board says Hill Top, so if right should be heading other way ( I know said boards got left wrongly)

Just looked at the original on Pic the Past

Looking at the two cars on the left of the photo, alongside them is a small petrol station and two old-style pumps

I didn't know that area in those days, but maybe someone else can use that feature to identify the location

I don't know the location, but that's an odd bus, converted diesel to trolley bus. Never seen any of those.

Maybe a war time measure to save on fuel???

Think I've sussed it, or rather littlebro has, was thinking of that location but the "approaching valley road" on original site put me off, it IS on valley road. Can remember the house behind the petrol pumps, and the chap who lived there had owned house and garage since pre ww2, my mother knew him, around 1970 it was not as seen in photo but typical 1950/60's filling station however think again altered before latest tesco filing station/supermarket abortion, (NEVER go there for petrol, you'll put a gallon in then wait god knows how long whilst the locals put their weekly shopping through the till before your turn! Heres another even odder as picture the past says Ripley Bus on Hucknall Road Basford? dated 1953, no idea on this oneDCCS000068ripley.jpg

I don't know the answer, said to be Basford approaching Valley Road, but can't recognise it ripleybus.jpg

I think the concrete posts bottom right are at the Shoulder of Mutton car park...buildings in the distance seem to match with the Futurist on right edge of picture.

Google pic on top...

nnnnnoop-1.jpg

Hi Ashley. With regard to that Ripley bus. I'm wondering if that is on the A610 at Cinderhill just before the Red Lion pub. That stone wall on the left looks a bit familiar. I'm also wondering if they ever made a combination motor/trollybus as I'm sure the lines never went all the way to Ripley.

The A610 bend at the Red Lion was my first thought, with the Stockhill Lane housing on the extreme right...although the apparent Dark Lane/Basford College? site seems contradictory. I'd be surprised if the picture was as late as '53, as that was the year the buses briefly took over the A1 service and by then all of the 'Ripley Rattler' trolley stock was double-decker.

Both the original tram lines, and the eventual trackless catenary went all the way to Ripley Market Place...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottinghamshire_and_Derbyshire_Tramways_Company

Cheers

Robt P.

One mystery solved then! as regards the second one, have known that area well since 1970 but can't recognise any features, is that a bus in the background? know dark lane was original tram route etc, My first thought was outside St Leo's church, doctors house wall opposite etc with 2nd bus going sort of past Basford House, but doesn't look right, besides did trollies go round there onto Westen Bouevard? I remember in dim and distant past some sort of trolley bus exchange, I think with Glasgow Council, 1953 maybe about right, only single decker trolley I ever saw, was orange and white, actually went on it, but always thought a council route (36), and would a glasgow bus have had a "Ripley" sign in it's kit? that said who knows, was surprised to hear Ripley trollies running as late as 1953, was 7 then so should have seen them as ran right past our house, assume blue and cream as per later motor buses? remember those well as when they started Midland Omnibus? put a stop right outside our house and every teatime dozens of young girls there to catch buses heading north from local factories! also recall being sick (twice) upstairs on an F4 taking a girlfriend to my mothers at Hucknall! first time they stopped bus and sent for replacement, 2nd on said replacement no one saw so we got off next stop after and walked!

Why would they have a bus that ran on duel fuel?

Perhaps electricity was cheaper than petrol/diesel in those days?

Come to think of it the latest cars do the same?

Have checked your picture at source...it is, as I suspected, 1933.

Must agree that St Leo's could now be a candidate - Stockhill Lane housing wasn't built by then.

Which leaves the quandry of the bus/tram on the left...seems too close to be on Vernon Road, as the Midland line/station and yards would be between????

Rode the A1 trackless to Ripley, just the once...

We Bells' Lane urchins regarded the A1 service with great awe and mystique so, circa 51/52, 4 of us saved up and undertook the adventure (with great fear and trepidation!) from the Colliers Arms protection point, via such far-away exotic places as Eastwood, Langley Mill (where their depot was sited), Heanor and Waingroves to Ripley Market - which may as well have been on the back of the Moon!. Considerable relief to alight back at Cinderhill Colliery, and the return to normality.

Cheers

Robt P.

Rode the A1 trackless to Ripley, just the once...

We Bells' Lane urchins regarded the A1 service with great awe and mystique so, circa 51/52, 4 of us saved up and undertook the adventure (with great fear and trepidation!) from the Colliers Arms protection point, via such far-away exotic places as Eastwood, Langley Mill (where their depot was sited), Heanor and Waingroves to Ripley Market - which may as well have been on the back of the Moon!. Considerable relief to alight back at Cinderhill Colliery, and the return to normality.

Hear Hear!

Rob

I make no apologies for breaking one of our unwritten rules, in quoting the previous post. But this has to be one of my favorite posts ever made on this board.Thank you

congrats.gif

I should have gone to specsavers! well that rules out my glasgow connection! thinking about it the bus looks dated, ditto my theory re St Leo's? that wall looks right and the double decker tram could be on Church St going towards The White Swan? however 1)think we would see the old railway sheds over the lower wall 2) the bus seems to be coming from the right? 3) if 2) incorrect it would be coming from Ripley in that photo and destination board says the opposite

Why would they have a bus that ran on duel fuel?

Perhaps electricity was cheaper than petrol/diesel in those days?

Come to think of it the latest cars do the same?

My guess is they are full conversions Mick, not dual. The transmissions would be removed to accommodate the DC motor.

I think the dual fuel cars are electric driven with the engine driving a generator, much like diesel locos are.

Could the picture with the single decker possibly be taken at the junction of Gregory Boulevard and Sherwood Rise. The bus is coming from Town as Ripley is displayed on the front. The tram in the background may be on Mansfield Road on the approach to town and the wall to its left may be in front of Carrington Station.... just a thought.

Yes distinct possibility nnsc, would explain those "posh" houses behind smaller wall (now hidden by block of flats) and Sherwood Rise did I think join Mansfield Rd in a sort of T junction with Gregory Blvd joining the former in a similar way before the islands constructed (so I'm told) Think the Basford mention threw us all? mind you photo is from Derbyshire section of Picture the past!!! have just enlarged pic and on extreme left (on Mansfield Rd) think there is part of a building just seen if it is as suggested (I think so) this was I recall an old police station

Had a look around on the Old Maps website, and maybe this will answer a few questions

1920smap.jpg

From the 1920s.

On the original photo in Post 10 of the single deck trolleybus, the scenery there would fit this map, I reckon

And on Post 24 with the snowy trolleybus, the original caption on Picture the Past says "the building on the extreme left was a Police Station"......which is marked on the map