The "maybe the same area?" question on my snowy trolleybus picture referred to the single decker being in that area as without doubt the trolleybus is about to go up Sherwood Rise, in the distance is that block of 1930's flats I referred to, think we can say another mystery solved. Well recall that police station as aged about 10 I took a "stray" dog in there, for years after worried if in fact a stray and was put down! also recall a warning notice with colour picture in there re "colorado beetles", funny the things you remember

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Rob.L, 168AAL was issued mid-1958 so your dad probably had an A35, not the A30 that ceased production in 1956. Outwardly very similar, the A35 had a larger rear window, flashing indicators and a p

Quite possible that I got it wrong, but my excuse is that I was only three years old...

I hadn't noticed it at the time, but yes it does seem to be a Miniature Rifle Range

So I went back to look at the earlier versions of the map, and the 1901 version is interesting because the Police Station is in a different place

1901map.jpg

That's what is ususally known as the Station House.

So was that building originally a Police Station, which became Carrington Station entrance when the railway appeared, and the Police Station moved round the corner (see the 1920s map)

Or are the captions wrong somewhere?

Can't see the railway building ever being a police station, so a case of wrong labelling? the police station I recall was as per lots of other old cop shops, gregory blvd, bulwell, st ann's etc, bulwell stone type building unlike the station one which was the entrance/ticket office etc as well as station masters house

carrington1.jpg

Why is the Forest on the right hand side of Mansfield Road?

I have to admit that in 1968 or thereabouts I was detained at that Carrington Police Station late one night.I went as a mates guest to his firms Christmas do at Arnold. Walking back down Mansfield Road, my mate "John the mad one" lagged behind myself and another guy. He appeared a short time later as did a police car which pulled up beside us. We were all dragged into the car and whisked off to the nick! John TMO had put his fist through a telephone kiosk window, and someone called the cops on us. JTMO got took home by patrol car and we had to walk home to Radford! JTMO was let off with a caution, and had to pay ten bob for the window. Thats me only police record apart from Walking on the moon!

Off topic, but on the forest is that the old racecourse? (or site of such, know not when it ceased to be used) Do know however the banked up area between Mansfield Rd and the still there curved "road" seen on the maps is built up of excavation spoil from the tunnel that runs under it there being a shaft for such there when the work was done.

• 3 months later...

The trollybus in post 1 is just a trollybus, thats what the 1930's trollys looked like.

The single decker post 10 has a RB registration, I think that was Derbyshire, Notts & Derby Traction had a second route from Ripley to Ilkeston could the single decker be on that route.

Post 24 is a 1930's NCT trolly.

Think I've sussed it, or rather littlebro has, was thinking of that location but the "approaching valley road" on original site put me off, it IS on valley road. Can remember the house behind the petrol pumps, and the chap who lived there had owned house and garage since pre ww2, my mother knew him, around 1970 it was not as seen in photo but typical 1950/60's filling station however think again altered before latest tesco filing station/supermarket abortion, (NEVER go there for petrol, you'll put a gallon in then wait god knows how long whilst the locals put their weekly shopping through the till before your turn! Heres another even odder as picture the past says Ripley Bus on Hucknall Road Basford? dated 1953, no idea on this oneDCCS000068ripley.jpg

I have now found the photo in a book, the caption is "Single-decker AEC 306 on the long run to Ripley, turns into Gregory Boulevard from Mansfield Road, on a wet & miserable day in Nov 1933. Note the Nottingham Corporation balcony tram on the left on its way north to Arnold, and the bus sign on the right which uses the term "Railless". There were 10 of these single deckers.

• 2 years later...

Top one is Ilkeston Road Radford. The tower is on Radford Boulevard school. I remember standing by that Pollards hoarding to catch the bus home from my Aunts on Bright Street. On the other one that is Mansfield Road Baptist Church on the right, funnily enough on the corner of Gregory Boulevard

The Radford one is special to me. Although I was brought up in Bilborough, I spent a lot of time at my Aunts on Bright Street and my Grandmas on Salisbury Street. I used to stand at the bus stop on Ilkeston Road and while waiting would watch the scammel electric trucks going from Raleigh Works to Chettels Yard at Radford Station. The Raleigh ones were Green and the Railway ones were red. I used to go to cubs at All Souls Church, although we met in a hut in the yard of Radford Boulevard School.

At this very moment there will be a lot of people congregating at an event on the same road as the bottom picture.

Looking at that 2nd photo from Cliff Ton and seeing it dated 1956 my first thoughts were "that's wrong, looks alot earlier?" then I remembered that was 57 years ago! also remember only about 6 years after that photo was took banking round the corner of Mansfield Rd on my motorbike then being overtook by a certain Frank Parker (who I did not know was behind me) on his 197cc James, as we both approached the little island to go up Sherwood Rise I recall him turning round and smirking, then running into the railings outside the church as going too fast! he didn't actually fall off, sort of bounced along the railing but it shook him up and I passed him (my turn to smirk)

I just got to thinking re someone in that year looking at a photo of the same place and again 57 years old (1899) THAT one would appear very different! same with motorbikes and cars? my bike is 1983 so 30 years old, doesn't look out of place today, cruiser style, lots of chrome,has indicators disc brakes etc, but back in 1962 would not be seen dead owning or riding a bike made in 1932! (wouldn't mind one now though) lol