• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Rob.L, 168AAL was issued mid-1958 so your dad probably had an A35, not the A30 that ceased production in 1956. Outwardly very similar, the A35 had a larger rear window, flashing indicators and a p

Quite possible that I got it wrong, but my excuse is that I was only three years old...

Two photos that mean something to me. I was in the Boys Brigade 14th company based at the church at the time the photo was taken.

Later when first wed I lived over a shop on the corner of Middleton Street and Salisbury Street.

Happy days on two counts.

Colin

Was it an Austin A40 Somerset?

I was in the Life Boys there in the 50s.

What was the A30, was that the Somerset.

I remember my brother's A30. It was his first car and it served him well. I can't remember how much he paid the bloke with the red flag LOL.

Chug Chug Chug Chug.

My dad had an A30 for a few years (168AAL). When we used to go to Cornwall on holiday, he somehow shoe-horned two adults, three or four kids (depending on how many of us he was taking), full camping gear, food and clothing for a fortnight into it.

Used to take us two days to get there though, in the days before motorways.

My dad had an A30 for a few years (168AAL).

Hi Rob.L, 168AAL was issued mid-1958 so your dad probably had an A35, not the A30 that ceased production in 1956.

Outwardly very similar, the A35 had a larger rear window, flashing indicators and a painted front grille.

• Upvote 1

In the 1950s I knew more about WWII aeroplanes than cars. No one in our family had a car until my uncle bought a Morris Isis in the 1960s.

Re #63. It wasn't much quicker on the train (although you kept going - well, sort of - as you weren't dependent on one driver!) Dad worked on the railway, so we had free passes. More than once started from Midland just before midnight on Friday. Changed at Derby on the Newcastle - Bristol mail, landed at Bristol about half past five in the morning. A cold, draughty hour to spend finding a cup of tea. Then away on the overnight Manchester - Penzance that left Bristol at half past six. Got to Penzance about half past one on a good day with a following wind. But on Summer Saturdays it was not unusual to be a couple of hours late. So you could say between 14 and 16 hours for around 350 miles - average speed, say 25mph!

That was life in those days. When we lived in Glasgow we could only afford the coach to Nottingham. In winter we got the coach in town at 9pm.Then it was every town arriving in Manchester at 6.30am. After 2 hours wait, we got another coach arriving in Nottingham at around lunch time. Summer was little better, getting a day coach going to Corby. It did not stop at Nottingham so we had to get off at Oxton Lane end on the A614 and wait for the local from Oxton into Nottingham. With all the luggage!

One year, a woman sitting in front of us and her 2 kids took ill. We ended up nursing her kids who kept being sick all over us. Bless'em.

If we go up to visit friends we usually get the train now. Free on my retirement passes.

Lot different now. I go to Glasgow quite often on business. Leave home at 7am, arrive in the office in Glasgow city centre at 10am, just in time for a Lorne Sausage sandwich. :)

Used to be even quicker when BMIbaby used jets, as opposed to FlyBe's turboprops.

I knew it was limited edition when he had it. My old deputy headmaster had one but he swapped it for a Rover when he got made up to headmaster.

Let's face it, petrol was a lot cheaper then. I saw an estate version at Wollaton Park last year. It was like a traveller.