The caves tour in the Broadmarsh Centre take you round some old 'Dyers pits' Nott'm had a large medieval trade in Bleaching and Dying

(Robin Hood didn't wear 'Lincoln green' it was more likely 'Graine' which is actually Scarlett (As in Will) Lincoln also had a large Bleaching and Dying trade.)

Yes your right Mick. I work for a company down on that road. It is Old Basford.

We had this discussion in another Old Basford thread, I went dances in a building at the top of Lincoln Street, was it a scouts meeting place?

I seem to recall a Bleachers Arms somewhere in OB, could it have been in the Vernon Road area?

yes, latter is off or around Clumber St, think where the old GCR cutting was, have seen a photo of The Bleacher's Arms "somewhere" but best I can manage now is this licolnst.jpg

Thanks Ashley, looks different , moved away in 1969 when i got married, lived in Hyson Green.

None of the property on the left in my photo remains, and on the right only the house sticking out plus last couple of shops nearest that as offices, then a closed chip shop and empty former post office plus 3 shops all shut and boarded up for years other side of that house, a right ****hole!

None of the property on the left in my photo remains, and on the right only the house sticking out plus last couple of shops nearest that as offices, then a closed chip shop and empty former post office plus 3 shops all shut and boarded up for years other side of that house, a right ****hole!

The other side of that house sticking out, wasn't that the old sawmill? I'm sure that was a wood yard years ago, but could be wrong.

• 3 years later...

Ashley

I recall there were many dyers, bleachers and other textile firms along the Leen valley from Basford into Hyson Green and into Radford. I can recall as a child many rolls of fabric being taken from the factories alongside the Leen. I think that the soap factory (Eno's) near Wilkinson Street did some bleaching.

Thank you for help and info, as you say the pub was at the side of Warrens shop. I have read through all the older posts, maybe the Bleachers Arms was a pub people did not want to remember. Hence the lack of pictures.

Gem

• 1 year later...

The Bleachers Arms Lincoln Street , Basford c1900s the pub on the left hand side with Mr Warrens Drapery shop one side and Rose Bros grocery shop the other side , opposite the pub was Mrs Kings Newsagent Looking towards Basford Crossings  photo 2016-01-02 11-28-42_0041_zpsg32by1pg.jpg

• Upvote 2

I had a few uncles/aunts who used to live on Wicklow street just round the corner in the 50s,and i'm sure the 'Bleachers' was one of their locals or do i just remember them talking about it,anyone know when it closed ?

• 4 years later...
On 3/17/2011 at 8:06 PM, nnsc said:

Hi Alan

Dug this article out from one of my papers,

BleachersArms001-1.jpg

Hi NNSC

I am so lucky to have come across this. Winifred Goodhand is my grandmother. I wondered if it would be possible to get a better photo of this newspaper clipping at all, without the photo bucket stamp. My mother and the rest of the family would love to see it. Thank you in advance. Daniel Fisher