Interesting that you say Beeston used to have 3 cinemas.

I don't know much about old Beeston, and I don't have any memories of its cinemas, but I'd always assumed that THIS place used to be a cinema.

Just because it looks like one. But maybe it wasn't.

We went (as youngsters) to see a re run of "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" at another one !!! There was a picture house in the Brook road / Central Avenue area. (I can't get hold of my mum to tell me what it was called and the exact location. I know it was within walking distance of my Dads family home on Brook Road he was born and bred there.

EssoldoPrioryIsland.jpg

This is the one almost at Priory Island ( near central ave )

Then there was one ( cant think of its name ) at the crossroads of station rd and Queens rd

The third was on the high rd where they built the co-op later.

That's the one LB, ta

So Beeston had at least 4 cinemas !! any advance??

The cinema near the priory island I did not count in as being in Beeston, I considered it to be Lenton Abbey. However the cinema was called the Astoria (later to be called The Essoldo) and it was here that I went to see Bill Haley and the Comets in Rock Around the Clock. What memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting that you say Beeston used to have 3 cinemas.

I don't know much about old Beeston, and I don't have any memories of its cinemas, but I'd always assumed that THIS place used to be a cinema.

Just because it looks like one. But maybe it wasn't.

It looks like Bostocks wholesale provisions,on station rd'they would have sides of smoked bacon hanging up,the doors were always open and the smell was overpowering.The window frames and doors were painted bright red. They had white vehicles with Jos'Bostock in red on the sides.

• 5 months later...

globechilwel.jpg

Anybody know of a cinema or theatre in Chilwell called the Globe, see attached link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19b31613c3

I lived in Chilwell depot on two occasions (1950-52 & 1955-58). My Dad was in the RAPC based at RPO Nottingham and we had army quarters, first on Williams Road, then on Church Crescent. We went to the AKC, The Globe, many times. I particulary remember seeing Pal Joey and Thunder Road plus the Chidren's Club on Saturday mornings. Happy Days!

• 4 years later...

I'm old enough to remember the Palace cinema and the Palladium cinema on Beeston High Road, also the Majestic, later the Essoldo cinema at the junction of Station Road and Queens Road. A Mr Johnson, I believe, was the manager here round about the 1950s. When the film " Rock Around The Clock " was shown, anyone wearing Teddy Boy suits were not allowed in. I think I recall that a lady called Hilda was an usherette at the Palladium cinema...also known as " The Flea Pit ". I have many many memories of Beeston as I grew up from being a child to getting married there

I remember all 4 of Beeston's cinemas. In my opinion, the Palace was the high class cinema whilst the Palladium was known as " The Flea Pit ".I used to visit the Majestic every Saturday afternoon for the afternoon matinee. I'm not sure but I think it cost 6d (2.1/2pence ) to get in. Mighty mouse. Roy Rogers and Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were some of the favourites we used to watch and laugh at. A Mr. Johnson used to be the Majestic manager. When the film "Rock Around The Clock " was on...Johnno wouldn't let any lad dressed in Teddy Boy suits in fearing them wrecking his cinema.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I used to go regularly to all three Beeston cinemas and occasionally to Lenton Abbey - it was further to walk there.  I never considered any of them to be fleapits, in fact I preferred the Palladium. It was smaller and cosier. I used to go by myself and get in for a shilling at one stage, and if there was an A film being shown it was a matter of "Will you take me in please mister?" Not that you would do that today! I remember the Cinemascope premier at the Majestic (Essoldo) when "Three coins in the fountain" was shown, if my memory serves me right.

• 4 weeks later...

MEGA NOTTSTALGIAN,

Thank you for posting the photos of the Palladium. It had far more character than most buildings in Beeston. I always imagined that it was a theatre or music-hall before being a cinema. I didn´t appreciate that films were shown so early on.  

Like Nottingham, Beeston lost a lot of character with re-development, and a lot of history was blown away.

• Like 1

My father was born in Beeston on 15 November 1924 at 21 Church Street. As a boy, he lived in Middle Street and Chapel Street. None of the properties are now standing.

Dad loved Beeston and went back regularly throughout his life. He was not impressed by what befell it!