Record & Music shops

I did notice in a local charity shop Second hand LP's that normally sold for 50p,

now selling for £11!

60s -70s The Coop Basement record mart which later moved upstairs, was run by Kathy Hemley and Rob Smith.

I remember buying some Music For Pleasure LP's and Marble Arch, budget albums @ 14/6.

and this single...

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

Cliff Ton wrote:

I did mention Rediffusion in the list, but I spelt Angel Row wrongly because my fingers operated faster than my brain. Until Selectadisc appeared I always thought Rediffusion had the best, largest record choice in Nottm. I also remember there was absolutely no advertising outside the shop (or even within it) to let you know there was a record departmentin the building, so I wonder how many people missed it because they didn't know it was there.

Yes, you're right Cliff there was nothing at all to suggest that there was a record shop there. You went through the Rediffusion front door and then straight down a narrow stairway to the basement. Bizarre!

However, if you were looking for something rare and contemporary, then chances were that they had it. Principally down to that guy I mentioned (I must ask a few of my friends if they can remember his name).

When Selectdisc arrived they became the 'go to' record shop - particularly for Progressive stuff. Especially the Arkwright Street branch where they just played prog rock stuff all day. I can remember buying Focus 'Moving Waves', there and the Faust transparent album.

I certainly spent a few pounds and hours in Selectadisc on Arkwright Street in the late 60s, and I remember it as a pokey little shop.

What I don't remember is that it seems there were two shops not quite next to each other. I don't remember that at all.

Io8jLEF.jpg?1

I'll be in Montego Bay on Wednesday - on my way to Negril!

• 3 months later...

Way ahead started out at 2 Hurts yard just below Robs Record Mart. It was managed by a gentleman called Dave Brett.

Dave corned the market in Rock Trips,. I still remember the original wipe clean board he had for trips including coach fare to see bands.

You could go to see bands like Saxon, Def Leppard and Iron maiden with Rock trips for about £8 all in then,. usally at The De Montfort Hall in Leicester or over at D*rby.

I did a couple of stewarding trips on buses to very early Donningtons for Dave in exchange for a ticket !!

Way Ahead also flirted with the management of a couple of promising Local bands,.. firstly Paralex from Newark and later Nottingham Glamsters Deuce.

Dave eventually sold up after the move to St James street,. he did very well out of the whole thing and is now retired to Switzerland.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my first 78 in Hindleys in 1947 ( Edmundo Ros And His Orchestra ) Edmundo is 100 years old and still alive in Spain " The Wedding Samba " and side 2 " Mahia From Bahia " , drove my mother mad with it and others of the era. " Red Ingles And His Natural Seven " " Stan Kenton " ( Saw Stan at the Odeon Stage 1962 ) " Stan Freburg

Doris Day ( Still going in the U.S.A." ) Peggy Lee, And on the radio Saturday night was Jack Jackson with the Top Twenty.

And Sunday afternoon Sam Costa.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VBcASC9VqzY

( As kids in Bulwell we sang a bawdy version of this ( Two Monkeys up a stick etc )
  • 5 weeks later...

The Rediffusion shop near the Odeon was managed in 1977 by a guy called Stan. He was brought in when the area manager discovered that the manager was selling as many bootlegs on his own account as Rediffusion stock and sacked him. They had a bonfire with hundreds of bootleg albums although Stan managed to hang onto a few. He gave me one of them, a live recording of The Stones in Detroit ( the gig where Jagger forgot what town they were in).

• 1 month later...

I was trying to figure out where exactly these two shops were.

The Selecta-Disc I remember was on Arkwright street almost if not next to The Bridgeway Hall?

That would be at the Time of the following.

I was trying to figure out where exactly these two shops were.

The Selecta-Disc I remember was on Arkwright street almost if not next to The Bridgeway Hall?

When I first knew them they were just about under the railway bridge near Kirk White Street, on the Queen's Drive side of the road

• 2 weeks later...

i also bought albums from a guy on the market near the palais

I guess you're talking about the old Central Market on Parliament Street, so I reckon I also used to get stuff from the same guy. He did part-exchange on records (singles or LPs), so you'd take in something you were bored with and swap it - with cash adjustment - for something else. Or you'd just buy his second-hand records because they were pretty cheap. His name was Arthur (but can't remember his surname). I first knew of him because my dad - who was into classical music - used to go there probably once a week to swap something for something else.