Record & Music shops

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

In the late 60's there was a guy who sold LP's from cardboard boxes he put on the pavement by Victoria Baths. He was there on Saturday mornings when Sneinton Market was held.

• 4 months later...

I used to get all my T shirts and button badges at Selectadisc on Bridlesmith Gate....was it upstairs or down? I can't remember..

I used to go upstairs for new an secondhand records. There was a 'Space invaders' type machine up there. Once my mate Alan had bought some second hand stuff and put it on the top of said machine whilst we displayed our skills as "The Silicon Chip Wizards" After half an hour or so we departed, Alan picking up his bag to find they had moulded to the shape of the top of the machine (He'd placed it over the vent !!)

• 3 weeks later...

Poohbear, I used to live on Linby Close which was 2 minutes from Ribblesdale Road. I was at Joan's house one day and she told me that her Dad had a record shop in Nottingham. She was a very beautiful girl and good fun to be with. She had a mate called Barbara who came round to my house one day. She was going to Boarding School and gave me the address as she wanted me to write to her. Memories from such a long time ago.

• 3 months later...

There used to be a big record department (in the basement I think) of the Co-op on Parliament Street. They had a number of booths where you could listen to a record -- or part of it. They wouldn't let you listen to too many as then they'd suss you were there to listen and not buy. Heard Bob Dylan for the first time (1963) in that dept. Followed him ever since.

used to be a record shop in Gedling on main road called "Simons" next to the Brooklyn Club ---are either of these still there ?

Are we talking about just along here? https://maps.google....317.34,,0,-4.44 I can remember a small record shop being somewhere along this stretch of road; it existed until about the mid 90s

What was the record shop near The Bell? I think that had a downstairs to it?

Rediffusion, next to the Odeon. The entire record dept was downstairs; street level was the television showroom for getting your new Rediffusion set, or paying your account

Thanks Cliff Ton, I recall nicking an EP cover from downstairs, was one of Long John Baldry's EP's, went to see him a few years later at the Clouds in Derby

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as there is an interesting page from August 1964 Guardian Journal , listing the (slightly different ) local top twenty at the 3 main record stores in town plus an article about the new releases of the day .

Have I The Right by The Honeycombs is at the top in all three and I really hated that record !

8573028462_d26cb99588_z.jpg

8573029716_a9f4ae191b_z.jpg

8571937857_6c9478e211_c.jpg

Going round the record stores and also the music shops used to be one of the pleasures of shopping in Nottingham.

Doing the rounds of Selecta, Co-op, Pearsons, Hindleys, Rediffusion. Then checking out guitars and stuff at Jack Brentnall's or Clement Pianos.

Used to be a treat. Now just getting into town and parking is bad enough.

Going round the record stores and also the music shops used to be one of the pleasures of shopping in Nottingham.

Doing the rounds of Selecta, Co-op, Pearsons, Hindleys, Rediffusion. Then checking out guitars and stuff at Jack Brentnall's or Clement Pianos.

Used to be a treat. Now just getting into town and parking is bad enough.

I always preferred Rediffusion , as the guys at the time , knew I liked all the Stax and Atlantic soul stuff and would play any new 45s for me that they thought I would like .

• 1 month later...

Anybody remember a record shop on Mansfield rd. near the junction with Huntingdon st? Shopped there a few times. He was mostly, maybe entirely classical. Had quite nice sound system as I remember, Quad amp etc. Small shop, but the owner was always very friendly and happy to play an album for you.