Record & Music shops

My first thought was Dave Mann Music, they used to sell musical instruments, but seem to recall earlier it had a different name and sold records too, but nothing "pop wise", then I remembered (I think) a small shop same side higher up, never went in it, was very old fashioned even in the 1960's

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

Anybody remember a record shop on Mansfield rd. near the junction with Huntingdon st? Shopped there a few times. He was mostly, maybe entirely classical. Had quite nice sound system as I remember, Quad amp etc. Small shop, but the owner was always very friendly and happy to play an album for you.

I remember going in on one occasion to look for 'Celtic Requiem' by John Tavener, he didn't have it. Can't remember what the shop was called tho'.

There was a record shop which fits that location until about a year ago (although it doesn't look like it was classical) http://goo.gl/maps/aGqKI

Very close. I was interested to see the street view of the area now. I think it was just a bit higher up than the Huntington Street junction. I spent quite bit of time and few pounds in there. Still have the first classical LP I bought there, Beethoven 6th symphony. It has weathered very well. Wish my memory had done the same!

• 1 month later...

1977, Rediffusion was run by a guy called Stan. He told me that he had replaced a manager who had been selling loads of bootlegs 'off the books'. Stan and the area manager had gone through the stock when he took over and made a massive bonfire of the records that were nothing to do with Rediffusion. He missed a few which he gave me, a white label of the Stones Live in Detroit and a Hamburg recording of the Beatles, again on white label.

Since Cliff mentioned sheet music as well as records, does anyone remember Record Song Book?

A magazine that was specifically for song lyrics.

My brother and I used to buy it regularly to learn what was being sung on hit records.

It was always 100% accurate because they got the lyrics straight from the actual song publishers.

We had a massive pile that we just forget about (probably got trashed). Now these things go for about £7 each on eBay.

You'd think that it would be an easy thing now to get the lyrics for some song off the internet, but nowadays they are very rarely accurate. What's more, because we live in a cut and paste world, if someone posts the lyrics from some song then it's just copied as is. People don't seem to care about where the thing originated. But then again, people don't care much about music these days!

(or accuracy).

...does anyone remember Record Song Book?

A magazine that was specifically for song lyrics.

My brother and I used to buy it regularly to learn what was being sung on hit records.

I'd forgotten that, but now you mention it I remember it because I often used to buy it as well. I couldn't have told you what it was called other than "that magazine with the words"

Since Cliff mentioned sheet music as well as records, does anyone remember Record Song Book?

If it was out in about 1971 i'd say yes I remember it - a great little mag indeed - must've been somewhere around 5p to buy. A typical Saturday would be to buy this mag then go to Alberta on Hyson Green or Eddy's on Alfreton Rd to buy second hand (ex Juke-Box) records. On occasion I'd be able to buy new 45's from Rediffusion on Hyson Green - Them were the days!

• 3 weeks later...

No, that was Quasimodo.

But in factual mode, one of the best sheet music shops was Nequests, at the top of Central Market. For Records it was Trevor Budworths shop on Drury Hill. Does anyone remember Trev.,married to Amber Vandella, The local stripper who performed on Wilford Grove in the Meadows. I forget the name of the club.

one of the best sheet music shops was Nequests, at the top of Central Market.

And also on South Sherwood Street

nequest.jpg

For Records it was Trevor Budworths shop on Drury Hill.

Where (and when) on Drury Hill was that? I don't remember it, but maybe I wasn't old enough.

Hi Cliff Ton.

This photo of Nequest's has got me going. I recognise the area as opposite the Empire Theatre but can only remember it as part of the old Post & Journal Building where there was an entrance to a basement Snooker Hall full of Nottingham's Finest Husslers.

Re. Drury Hill record shop, it was situated on the right going down about 20yds after the bend. About opposite the Plumbers (Webbs I believe) and just before the Café.

Thinking back, The building in your picture is also very like the one which housed Elston & Hopkins Billiard Hall on the first floor near to the present day Stage Door (not the pub) I stick with opposite the Empire, but either place would have been appropriate to have a music shop. Do you know when the picture was taken.

This photo of Nequest's has got me going. I recognise the area as opposite the Empire Theatre but can only remember it as part of the old Post & Journal Building where there was an entrance to a basement Snooker Hall full of Nottingham's Finest Husslers.

Not opposite the Empire, in fact a bit further along from it. If you look at the extreme right of the photo you can see the Newton building of Trent Uni just creeping into the frame. So the closest equivalent today would be something like here http://goo.gl/maps/OwIRp

And according to Picture the Past, where the photo came from, it's 1969.

• 4 weeks later...

Dad was a pianist and used to play at the Gladstone Liberal Club on St Ann's Well road on Saturday nights in the 50's and early 60's and I used to spend many Saturday mornings with him in Nequests ploughing through acres of sheet music to find something "different" to play.

I used to frequent them on my own account to buy folk music and accessories for my guitar; strings, scratch plates etc. Also used their Central Market stall for browsing whilst waiting for Mum to finish work at Joices, the biscuit shop at the top of the Market on Glasshouse Street.

Also used their Central Market stall for browsing whilst waiting for Mum to finish work at Joices, the biscuit shop at the top of the Market on Glasshouse Street.

If you haven't seen this before.......http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM014715&prevUrl=

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

#61 & 62 Hindley's

Our great aunt Alice emigrated to America in 1923. She left behind her wind-up cylinder gramophone, which I now have. Note the small disc below the winding-handle. It says: A Hindley, 21 Clumber Street, Nottingham. It is in perfect condition and a joy to behold.

bd79352c-1989-4d7a-bdec-ba9df5f3db8d_zps

3a414513-3baa-461f-880e-5b744cdeb4f2_zps

Yes. Why can't people make things like that now? I don't mean wind up gramophones either I mean things that are just 'nice'

Yes. Why can't people make things like that now? I don't mean wind up gramophones either I mean things that are just 'nice'

They can make things like that today, but the price is prohibitive, because most people today want cheap and cheerful things, hence the rise and popularity of the pound shop.