Record & Music shops

People will still pay high prices for unusual vinyl records.

There's an album called Saturnalia's Magic Love that has a 'leticular' printed label that changes image as it rotates, and the record itself is a picture disc. Looks amazing.

Pity that the music isn't upto much (!)

The best price I got when I was selling my vinyl collection was for Faust.

The cover was an X-Ray of a fist on a transparent sleeve with transparent vinyl for the record. Somebody bought it for £90.

My brother still has a few gems that he's held on to. Sex Pistols 'God Save the Queen' on A&M. (Bought from Boots in Nottingham).

Bluesology single on Fontana (the first band that Elton John was in).

Ogdens Nut Gone Flake in the original metal tin.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

I had the first Curved Air album as a picture disc, reckoned by Wiki to be the 'first modern picture disc' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_disc

Unfortunately the technology to make picture discs wasn't very good, so it sounded absolutely awful with more surface noise and scratches than real music. I even took it back and had another, but that was still as unlistenable. I eventually ended up having a black vinyl version, which didn't look as good but at least you could hear the record, not the surface.

All bought - and returned - at Boots, Pelham Street.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a bad shop Moody,anyone remember Texas records on Wheeler Gate?

Fox's had a great record dpt..I also liked Music inn,amongst the Gibson's and gretsch I was able to complete my Zoot Money collection.

There was a fabulous classical record shop on the left going up Mansfield rd.veneered type exterior and decked out in timber inside. Six doors up from Mayfair Chinese. Purchased the music used in the Badlands movie. "Musica poetica" by Carl Orff and Gunild keetman.

Yes Ian. I remember the place but can't remember the owner's name. He was a mine of information about various pieces of music. I was just starting to build an LP collection back in the mid 60s. He helped me a lot.

I could be wrong, but the classical-record shop on Mansfield Road could have been Scott's. He was on Carrington Street, just around the corner from Lister Gate. Think he moved the Mansfield Road when they pulled Carrington Street down to build the Broadmarsh Centre. Interestingly, he had a parastat, to remove static from LPs, which he would oblige for a shilling. In later years there was another classical music shop on Mansfield Road, but he also sold second-hand CDs.

Way ahead started out at 2 Hurts yard just below Robs Record Mart. It was managed by a gentleman called Dave Brett.

Dave corned the market in Rock Trips,. I still remember the original wipe clean board he had for trips including coach fare to see bands.

A mate of mine worked at Way Ahead,I remember going to Reading Festival on one of their trips in 1983,the tickets cost about £8:50 back then.I went for a job there when I left school in 1985 but nothing came of it.

I know i'm a dinosaur but I always remember Virgin on Kings st. Downstairs was singles and second-hand albums, there were hundreds of browser cards..with a Union jack printed on them; on these it gave you the A and the B side. A huge back catalogue of single 45's.Even in '76- you could purchase " I feel fine" or "keep on running". I am sure there is now a one time pressing.. and that's it!! Imagine going into a record shop ( where??) now and asking for "Pandora's box" they'd ring 999!! Certainly miss trawling through racks.

That Virgin Store on King Street went down in history as being the place where the word 'Bollocks' was made legal !

They had displayed the Sex Pistols album 'Never Mind The Bollocks' in the window and the police told them to take it down.

The store manager contested the decision and it got taken to court.

The judge found in Virgin's favour and ruled that 'bollocks' wasn't an offensive word and was instead in 'common parlance'.

It's unbelievable really that there are no more record shops.

Even 10 years ago you would never have thought it would have declined so quickly.

But, then again, who would have predicted that the music from a room full of records could now be easliy stored on a plastic stick no bigger than your thumb.

• Upvote 1

This brings back a lot of memories. From Picture the Past, it's the record dept in the basement of Boots on Pelham Street, taken in January 1972. Around those times I spent a hell of a lot of money here. I'm amazed I'm not in the picture. Most of the record selection was off to the left, but you can see LPs stacked up along the wall at the back; the area on the right is books and stationery.

s2Xh6sH.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great picture Cliff.

Exactly as I remember it. Most record departments were like this.

In fact, at places like Rediffusion - even though it was tiny, people used to start dancing.

Boots was a big record retailer, as was Woolies (primarily the Top 20).

Lots of furniture shops also used to stock records because record players in cabinets were regarded as objet d'art, so it seemed logical that if you were going to buy a piece of Hi-Fi in a nice walnut cabinet, then you'd probably also want a few records to go with it.

My Dad seemed to have an uncanny knack in the 60's of finding places that had decided to get rid of their stock of records and were selling them off cheap. I can remember going off to some strange stores in the Nottingham area and wondering why they were even selling records.

• Like 1

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other.

arkwr.jpg

And this, the version on Goldsmith Street. Selectadisc was the two windows above/behind the Cortina Estate.

goldsmith.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fantastic shots Cliff,sign of four gone( came back around the corner in rebuild). ERD electrical van,my mate worked for them,often went for a spin..all the way to Chesterfield to deliver a 40 w bulb! Watmoughs and an Indian were just past the transit. Selectadisc was 'home' for me, Brian also purchased "drill thru or cut corner" albums and these were cheap!! A decent bloke.. his dear wife permitted me to write and print his obituary in Record Collector magazine. Deep purple, new riders of the purple sage and purple rain,all sourced on Goldsmith st.