Record & Music shops

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

Brilliant thread.

And it's answered my question about the record shop in Clumber St. where I bought my first couple of records around 1962. Hindley's. TBH, the name doesn't ring any bells at all. I remember the shop used to have all sorts of weird and wonderful records in the window. Sounds of Steam Engines, Bird Sounds etc.

I bought my first two albums there.

Still have both and they both play through without skips, but they have seen rather too many Dansette's in their 50+ year careers...

I also bought stuff from the Sign of Four:

When I got into DJing, we used to buy most of our stuff in Rediffusion.

Great days.

Col

Junior Murvin - "Police & Thieves"

Burning Spear - "Marcus Garvery"

Max Romeo - "War In A Babylon"

Peter Tosh - "Legalize It"

U Roy - "Chalice In The Palace"

Lee Perry - "Roast Fish & Corn Bread"

Johnny Clarke - "Crazy Bald Head"

Steel Pulse - "Prodigal Son"

Poet & The Roots - "All We Doin' Is Defendin'"

Aswad - "Three Babylon"

Dillinger - "Cokane In My Brain"

Leroy Smart - "Ballistic Affair"

The Congos - "Congo Man"

Prince Far I - "No More War"

Jacob Miller - "Tenement Yard"

The Heptones - "Sufferer's Time"

Third World - "96 Degrees In The Shade"

Max Romeo - "Chase The Devil"

Augustus Pablo - "King Tubby meets Rockers Uptown"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Harmony House on Oakdale Road was my record shop, I was not really a singles fan I always preferred LP's the first two LP's I bought were Hank Williams, Hits and Buddy Holly, The Chirping Crickets, followed by Duane Eddy, The Twangs The Thang, The Buddy Holly Story and Hank Snow, the lady let me pay a couple of bob a week out of my paper round money! things carried on this way until one day she told me she had a brand new country and western artist in stock, there it lay on the counter with just the words Bob Dylan on it, I actually thought it was pronounced Dilon! and that folks was when my life truly began!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This shop sold the full compliment of Deep Purple albums inc..Purple Passages and USA versions.

Eventually it became Virgin Records and had a monitor in the window showing videos..a little less controversial than the 'Bo*****ks incident.

Went out to tune a piano today belonging to my oldest customer. She's 102. Never really noticed the suppliers name on the piano before but had a look today. Just wonder if anyone has heard of them or knows anything about them. Piano will be 1880's. Depends whether or not anyone else has lived long enough I suppose

2yynoti.jpg

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the left includes "organs" and PTP say the photo is c1895, so this must be Mr Gregory's shop.

lister%20gate2.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

#93, cheers Cliff,the brick paving took the kink out of that street.Is that a pub on the end of High St?

Became a Barclay's in 80'-'81?

The Keoghs who were mates of mine ran the Fountain during the 1970's

Wilton Sporting Club was next to the book shop circa'83.

A certain bloke gained council favours block paving that half of the golden mile.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/27/2015 at 10:29 PM, iandawson said:

Sounds Good on Alfreton Rd . Got most of Sun singles from this shop and discovered Sleepy la Beef at this shop.

Run by Dave Ibbottson...I used to do the record fairs for him,whilst he ran the shop...happy days..

7 hours ago, ceeaych said:

Yes it was..his son Dave stills runs the business,but now in West End arcade..

Yes, I still order my records from him - top bloke! Always good for a chat and his prices are very reasonable - stuff the internet!

• 2 months later...
On 20/08/2014 at 3:53 PM, rich10 said:

Revolver records' to the left of the entrance to the Broadmarsh shopping centre

Yes, indeed.

Revolver is one of the few independent record stores that I remember. If you left Broadmarsh up into Listergate, Revolver was on the right (where the refurbished (by Westfield) set of shops are now, including Thorntons and Holland Barrett; opposite what is now WHSmith), and immediately opposite was HMV (now WHSmith), so if you were walking down Listergate then Revolver was on the left just before entering Broadmarsh.

I still have quite a few vinyl with the Revolver price sticker on them.

Does anyone else remember this record store?

It must have been open still in 1983, and closed in the few years after that - maybe closing 1985ish.

I seem to remember it being very independent, with what was to me as a small child, scary looking staff, and a  creaky flight of stairs to the upper floor, and it was quite ramshackle - but I really can't remember well so maybe I am mistaken.

If anyone has any photos, like they did of the old Virgin Store from the 70s, or has memories of Revolver, then I'd love to hear from them.

• Like 1