Record & Music shops

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

• 9 months later...

Once in Woolies record department I was star struck by seeing Wee Willie Harris in there, technicolour hair and bow tie, wide shoulder jacket, the lot! Quite a revalation because it wasn't that obvious on black and white telly. Even more surprising is to see that he is still around and apparently still performing at the age of 85!!

Must have been there at same time commo, i saw him having coffee too,thought it was BHS,,maybe was Woollies, 

• 2 months later...

On the 50th anniversary of The Beatles White Album release this month I vaguely remember buying it on the release date.

I think the store I bought it from was on the corner of Thurland Street in town, now occupied by the Zara fashion store. 

There were obviously lots of record shops in Nottingham in the past, can anyone remember their names and whereabouts?

8 hours ago, radfordred said:

There is some massive, massive topics on Nottingham record shops with over 250 replies can you imagine the interest it may create for new & old members, if a moderator moved this question to one of these? New topics are a waste of time & just get lost & buried. 

Edit: What if someone merged the two topics below together? No wonder I was a factory worker  :crazy:

I've done it.  I still have all the powers - just not used them much recently.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading through this thread, could give a like to every post..hope that means I have done! Why don't they have any?

The larger stall in Victoria market was Pendulum Records, red carrier bags, did they have a Native American/Aztec style Logo? Black print writing.

After reading the weeks music mags for the next Monday's releases I found in Nottingham, the major shop's didn't yet stock it. When visting Pendulum they had the import copy released month's earlier! Very competitive price wise also circa 1979 albums in nearby Boot's £5.25 Pendulum £3.99.

• Like 1

Revolver Records..got stung there. £32.99..for Zep's song remains the same On VHS when it came out. Redundant tech but at that price ain't parting.. Green carrier bag's with a black logo?

If I remember Zep's SRTS hit the cinema in '76 . came out later on VHS early 80's

..went to see SRTS .I think it might have been a.one off showing ? at the Royal Centre about 1982.

• Like 1

At first, thought you were writing an extra verse to Waterloo Sunset! ;)

But we are talking 'Percy' here, i dated a couple of stunners that considered him 'out of their league'. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Wow! Never knew Arcade Records was there! always West End Arcade for me..I do recall a record shop there in the early 90's. Can't recall the name, bought an Album by that Jay Kay fronted band for an ex, not a fan, ain't going to try a spell that!! 

Remember a little further up a shop selling men's hat's, seemed very old fashioned for Circa '81. Also a chippie..narrow counter to the right of the door.

• Like 1

Recall another shop just down from Arcade in the Arcade. Only place I came across in Nott's that had a few bootlegs, picked up JH Experience on the Swinging Pig label there. Stocked mainly jazz & classical.

Can't remember the name..

• Like 1

Can't be sure, the shop my have moved to the top end of Mansfield Road, just beyond Richer Sounds & the same side. This chap than relocated to one of the unit's in Sneinton market in the 90"s.

Yep.. I knew that..not a big Stones fan but have the c**ksucker blues & big c**ksucker blues (bonus footage) on DVD.

• Like 1

Looking again at that last picture posted, I'm wondering if I have the wrong side of the street. To the left of the picture I was thinking the ABC .. 

I wonder if Arcade records started in the West End Arcade then Chapel bar only to return.

Any idea on the date of the pic,  think Arcade was in the Arcade in '81.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2015 at 8:05 PM, trophydave said:

A mate of mine worked at Way Ahead,I remember going to Reading Festival on one of their trips in 1983,the tickets cost about £8:50 back then.I went for a job there when I left school in 1985 but nothing came of it.

Went on a few of these for Northern gig's. A White Mini Bus.. about 10 occupants, SRV in Manchester, the days when the customer came a close second.

Great service..

• Like 1
9 hours ago, HSR said:

Looking again at that last picture posted, I'm wondering if I have the wrong side of the street. To the left of the picture I was thinking the ABC .. 

You're right. ABC was down on the left, and Parliament Street is on the right. That row of buildings was demolished around 2000.

• Like 1

Thanks Cliffton, I have no recollection of a record shop here until about 1991. Mostly Cd, The small collection of vinyl it stocked was all new and directly facing the window, as for the shop's name, it's bugging me like mad! 

I remember buying records at Papworths on Alfreton road back in the 60s and also a record shop in Clumber Street in the city but can't remember the name.

• Like 1

Radford Boy, this is way before my time, but I recall a picture of a trolley bus that left me thinking , was that a record shop? Same side as the cemetery, a few doors down Alfreton Rd. Would this be Papworths?

Katyay, did Hindleys become Bradley's?

I think Bradley's became Virgin. Would this be the property that is the Levi shop today? (Google Earth 18 months ago) or more likely the one next door?