Record & Music shops

Don't know if this warrant's nostalgia, only about 28 years ago! There was a shop on Heathcoat St, Parliament St end on the right hand side callled the Big Apple, sold mainly records. Recall the chap that worked there played Acoustic Guitar, they also provided free toilet facilities and a free cup of Tea! Prices were steep however, bought the first Traffic album for  £8.Recall an Album by a David somebody there On the Elektra label 1967-69 ..never seen it before & produced by Paul Rothschild..should have bought it but £12 ouch!!

Thanks for reminding me of the 'Our Price' shop on Clumber St. I think it closed in about '85, only ever bought one record in there,  in the closing down sale, for 75p .Johnny Winters 'Guitar Slinger' which I recall being a newish release.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

That's the one, Cliff Ton, it was the second album, remember at first I thought it was a Tim Buckley release.

Radford Red, as I said mostly records, on the left wall I was thinking comics but wasn't sure, maybe football programmes?

On 6/8/2019 at 3:12 AM, HSR said:

Radford Boy, this is way before my time, but I recall a picture of a trolley bus that left me thinking , was that a record shop? Same side as the cemetery, a few doors down Alfreton Rd. Would this be Papworths?

Yes , that sounds about right. They were complete music store selling guitars etc. as well as records.

Katjay, don't recall the shop in Clumber Street being called Hindleys. It was an electrical store that sold TVs, radios, washing machines etc.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

In all the years I was buying LPs (and I had 100s), I've just realised for the first time that I never looked to see if there were any record stalls on Vic Centre market.

I remember at least a couple on the old Central Market.

I remember at least one in the old central marker that bought and sold trade ins. Got a few bargains there.  I wasn't into hi-fi in those days so put up with a few pops and crackles.

Pendulum was a great place. First right at the entrance, remember it was difficult to see the owner with all the sleeves on display, arm came through to collect your cash!

Think I remember the other stall, never bought many 45's, it was much further in, wondering if it had any thing to do with the stall that traded comics?

• 4 months later...

Think I may have exhausted my Nottingham record shop memories at basic level. Does anybody recall the record fairs? I recall five venues, also a touring set of dealers i think called Pennine, this was roughly between '81 and "92.

• 2 months later...

Never seen that one before. I'm slightly too young to have looked like that in 71, but it's close.

I went to the Arkwright St shop quite a few times in the late 60s. I think the girl with long blonde hair (3rd in from right) worked there.

• 1 month later...

I was interested to read all this, but please excuse if I have missed this somewhere... there was a shop on bridlesmith gate in the early 70s called 'Advance'.. which later became selectadisc?

re the selectadisc on arkwright street, a friend and i were arrested for taking some old album sleeves off the wall the day before it got flattened...we got a caution...the the album sleeves were buried in landfill presumably.. ; )

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello HSR.  Hope you are having a good day.  Unfortunately, I have absolutely no memories of any record shops in Nottingham even though I know I used to have dozens of records! 

I only remember one record shop 'Hindleys' on Clumber street..and singles at 6/6........''Running Bear'' being first record i bought.........then lots of Adam Faith and Ricky Nelson stuff.......i was music mad...........and could have danced all night........lol

Loved ''Someone else's Baby'' often got me into trouble.........

The first record I bought was Heartbreak Hotel but I can’t remember where I bought it from...

Ben, it certainly was!  But I was only starting out on my teenage life at that time so the words actually didn't mean anything to me....   I just liked Elvis!

I'm grateful that I've never been 'so lonely I could die' at any point in my life so far.  I feel sad for those people who have felt like this, though.

• Like 1