Record & Music shops

A good day to you,

Apologies for the amount of posts.

I find it amusing re-reading this input. Gives me an insight into my younger self.

Was there a record shop on Cardale Rd? Before my time, but think my Gran my have mentioned it.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this somewhere before, but I'm surprised it isn't on this thread; Arkwright Street, but I don't remember there being two shops almost next to each other. And this, the version on Goldsm

Jabez Gregory, musical instrument dealer, was your man at that time. 27 Lister Gate is the one almost on the corner into Broad Marsh, opposite the Walter Fountain. The lettering on the wall on the l

Arkwright Street 1971  

Of all the 45's I bought as a teenager, I can only remember 1 shop I went in once, to listen to a record in a booth, before buying it. I seem to think it was downstairs at Pearson's on Long Row. I must have gone in other shops but have no recollection of them. Most likely Woolies was one. Seem to think the singles cost 6/8. I bought quite a few E.P's which must have cost a bit more.

• Like 1

Think those corner shops Cardale/ Carlton rd corner....are the only ones on Cardale road............i vaguely recall a record shop there in the mid 60s........

Does anyone remember ''Woolworths'' had a record label called 'Embassy'' again i'm talking 60s....they sold cheaper than other labels...when other singles were 6/6....Embassy were about 2/- cheaper..........

• Like 1

I might be mistaken, but don’t recall a record shop in that row of shops at the bottom of Cardale. I lived at number 10, which was just 2 houses above the shops. There was a butcher (right in the corner), a cobbler (Mr Cope), a newsagent (Mr Heath). Lower down, below Linton Rise, there was a greengrocer and then the last shop was a general grocer (a la Marsdens, Ben), Mr Reeson or Riesen, sugar in a blue bag, biscuits out of tins.

I’ve probably missed a couple out, but don’t recall a record shop. However, I stand to be corrected!

You maybe right Affer''..........twas long ago...........i used to walk along Cardale many a late night when i couldnt afford a Taxi....after being with my girlfriend on the 'Dale'.........Hardstaff road........

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

'Embassy'' again i'm talking 60s....they sold cheaper than other labels...when other singles were 6/6....Embassy were about 2/- cheaper..........

Interesting history to Embassy Records..all detailed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy_Records

They were in my view the worst kind of cover version.  Although they used professional artists etc.. they usually didn't achieve the 'sound' that made the song a hit in the first place. Oddly, they have become quite collectable.

Whilst it was very common..or almost obligatory for British artists to cover American hits for example, they usually put a different slant on things.. ( Consider Cilla Black v Dionnne Warwick on 'Anyone Who Had a Heart'. or Herman's Hermits v The Cookies on I'm into Something Good.

The Embassy records could end up being covers of original UK hits, or covers of UK covers of US hits.. if you follow..:wacko:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Think those corner shops Cardale/ Carlton rd corner....are the only ones on Cardale road............i vaguely recall a record shop there in the mid 60s........      

2 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

I’ve probably missed a couple out, but don’t recall a record shop. However, I stand to be corrected!

A possible explanation....back then records were often sold by shops which sold something else; eg the Newsagent or Post Office or Hardware etc.   Maybe that's where you could buy records on Cardale.

• Like 1