Toby's store & Friar Lane

Yet again, brilliant photos, Cliff Ton. The Friar Lane entrance to Friary Chambers is clearly visible on the second photo, with the canopy over the doorway. The building to the right of it I have never seen before but the house I mentioned would stand at the rear of it.

Just remembered that Peter had initially worked for the firm of Perry, Parr and Ford who occupied the said house and whose name plate was still affixed beside the entrance door when I worked there. This would have been in the late 40s or early 50s, prior to the merger with Rotheras.

Incidentally, I also worked for a couple of years in the building on the corner of Friar Lane and Maid Marian Way which is shown in the photo. This was during the occupancy of Browne Jacobson and Roose, Solicitors. I was told the building had previously been a factory of some kind.

Wonderful photographs and, given how the area looks today, I know which I prefer!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am 73 yrs old and I started work at Toby's age 15 on may 9th 1957 I knew Joan Peck very well although she started a lot later than me .I worked there till June 1965 when I left to have my first b

Gee Hi Limey, I found a romantic little history of Tobys in a Civic Soc. book, a plumber bloke called Hartley had a bathware shop top of Friar lane, married a girl called Florence who'd been a manager

John Jeffcoate Ross Sergeant was a partner in my accountancy firm of Hubbart Durose and Pain and I always understood that he was related to the pharmacist. We occupied premises to the rear of the Coun

Posted Images

I also recall Peter telling me of his anger at the demolition of the Almshouses which stood on the opposite side of Friar Lane and which he was instrumental in trying to prevent.

He arrived for work one Monday morning and the Almshouses had been destroyed, apparently illegally, and he had been incandescent about it, along with many others.

He would be beside himself with anger at the appearance of the city nowadays.

3 hours ago, Chulla said:

Nice shot of the Roebuck at top right. The bay window is the upstairs roof terrace where the smokers go.

A picture to cover two topics in one go. On the left is the Roebuck building when it was still a warehouse; on the right is Jill's hidden house seen from the rear.

friar%20lanex_zps1qzlr7m2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Another brilliant photo, Cliff Ton. I can see now just what a rambling place it was, built over 3 floors. It had a typical Georgian scrolled banister staircase and the ground floor rooms to the right of the entrance were used by one of the partners, whose name eludes me at present but who lived in Leahurst Road, West Bridgford, to store his art collection! His interests were motor racing and art. He tried to lure me in there to look at his etchings on more than one occasion but since he had a reputation, I always avoided it!

There were cellars beneath the house where old files were stored and the domestic areas were to the left of the entrance door, the old glass paned panellings were still in situ although that area was used as the general office. A door then led through to the second (servants') staircase which emerged on the first floor, close to where the 'bridge' was accessed after some peasant had knocked a huge hole in the wall to accommodate it. 

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
On 01/03/2018 at 5:34 PM, IAN123. said:

..is that van a Morris Commercial?

Correct Ian, Morris J

Rog

• Like 1

I thought it was widened to what it is now by the Germans in 1942 or thereabouts!  Didn't they demolish the left hand corner?

• Like 1

F. Ross Sargeant, the chemist rings a bell. Was the business still going somewhere else in the 60's? I Googled the name, didn't find out much except the F stands for Furlow. An unusual name,

• Like 1

John Jeffcoate Ross Sergeant was a partner in my accountancy firm of Hubbart Durose and Pain and I always understood that he was related to the pharmacist. We occupied premises to the rear of the Council House which were above the shop of Ross Sergeant Chemists on Cheapside. I think this was pure coincidence. We moved to these more prestigious, but less accessible premises, from 18 Park Row back in the 60's.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, katyjay said:

F. Ross Sargeant, the chemist rings a bell. Was the business still going somewhere else in the 60's? I Googled the name, didn't find out much except the F stands for Furlow. An unusual name,

Ross Sargeant chemists was still operating well into the 90s with several branches around Nottingham (and maybe nationwide ?).  They don't seem to exist now, but I don't know when they disappeared.

2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

I thought it was widened to what it is now by the Germans in 1942 or thereabouts!  Didn't they demolish the left hand corner?

The Germans demolished the "old" Moot Hall but the road had already been widened by then. They just made it even wider.

• Upvote 1

Yes Malcolm, the Moot Hall was were Costa now stands.

Was that where there was the greatest loss of life during the bombing raids ?

4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Wonder if jill did time in one of the offices..near the Spaniel?

Don't think so, Ian.

I had a spell of temping for Plum Personnel and worked at Actons on King Street, Johnstone Sharp & Walker, St Peter's Gate, Dewhursts...most peculiar couple ran that!...Ashton Hill Bond, Pearl Assurance House, Curtis & Parkinson in Clifton, Andersons on The Ropewalk and Eking Manning in the same place, Sheltons in Bulwell, etc.

My mother worked in the offices above Tobys before and after the war. Radio Rentals was up there and she worked in the guarantee agreements office. The girls always had first pick if there were nylons or make up available in Tobys!

• Like 1