Tesco & Sainsbury's take over the world

Their plans for world domination seem to be progressing nicely.

Within the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the former "Tales of Robin Hood" building on Maid Marion Way, which had been standing derelict for a couple of years, has been redeveloped and become a Tesco Express.

The old Sisson and Parker building on Wheeler Gate had been a clothing/fashion store for several years before that closed down. It's now become a Sainsbury's Local

And a few others I can think of......the former Jolly Higglers pub on Ilkeston Road is a Tesco Express; the old 17th/21st Lancers at the end of Castle Boulevard is a Tesco Express; the old Police Station on Station Street is one or the other; the site of the old petrol station on Lenton Boulevard is a Sainsbury's Local; the former car dealers at the top of Ransom Road is a Sainsbury's Local. Every time they see an ex-pub or an ex-petrol station they dive in.

Go along any road any time, there's a new Tesco/Sainsbury's which wasn't there a week earlier

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: I think things have changed forever. I don't we'll be going back to just a handfull of supermarket groups dominating. There has just been a business report on the TV about how Aldi and Lidl ha

As a committed Tescophobe and although experiencing an initial burst of schadenfreude having heard the news this morning, I do agree with Benjamin that in this post industrial country that we live, re

Don't think we should celabrate,shopping habits are changing and it does't help the image of our towns,villages or cities to see all these empty units and the job losses that go with it.

Re the pubs, clearly a deal struck with Greene King, they are just as bad, please have nothing to do with them, don't drink their beer and it will be a start to shaft these 'all powerful' conglomerates.

To prove my own theory, just seen another.

The site of the former petrol station on Derby Road, Lenton, next to the Savoy cinema. Total rebuild to become a Sainsbury's local.

Yes, but these were derelict sites. At least Tesco/Sainsbury are regenerating the space AND giving the local people what they want, a cheap modern shop as opposed to a robbing overpriced pakki shop.

Interestingly, the site next to the Savoy Cinema has been derelict for years.

• Upvote 1

Within the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the former "Tales of Robin Hood" building on Maid Marion Way, which had been standing derelict for a couple of years, has been redeveloped and become a Tesco Express

I was up there taking photographs to show the new Tesco store on Friday.

Its not in the same building as ToRH (which was also the 1960s Tesco) but further up towards the hotel.

Due to things I am currently busy with at work and home, I will not have time to publish those photograph taken in Nottingham, that day, for a while..

I object to the phrase, "a robbing overpriced pakki shop."

I am a self employed trader and I buy stuff for my business at the same wholesalers that these people use. Although I don't buy or sell foodstuffs etc I see the prices that they are having to pay and they are rarely cheaper than supermarket prices. Then they have to sell them and make a living within the price band set by the manufacturer.

I think they do very well to make a living in competition with the supermarkets and their immense purchasing power. We are never going to overcome the racial divide while you bandy comments like that.

I agree with you Arkwright it isn't a particular nice turn of phrase but it is one widly used in the vocabulary of every community I have lived in, and is meant with no more malice than if some one were to say 'Offie' as a shortened form of "Off Licence" or ' Chippy' as a shortened version of "Chip Shop" , or even 'Pub' as opposed to "Public House" or here's an even better one:-

"I'm goin t co op anyonewonowt?"

"I'm going to the Co - Operative society store , does any body require anything?"

That's the reason I didn't censor it when I first read it , but if it continues to cause offence after my explanation I will remove the offending line forthwith

I believe the reason that tesco and sainsburys are buying pubs is because they already have a premises license for the building generally have carparkign spaces so would be a hell of a lot easier to convince the local planners.

Your right though firbeck do not buy anything greene king!!!

I am a self employed trader and I buy stuff for my business at the same wholesalers that these people use. Although I don't buy or sell foodstuffs etc I see the prices that they are having to pay and they are rarely cheaper than supermarket prices. Then they have to sell them and make a living within the price band set by the manufacturer.

I think they do very well to make a living in competition with the supermarkets and their immense purchasing power. We are never going to overcome the racial divide while you bandy comments like that.

Well I'm sorry if you took offence arkwright. That comment was certainly not meant to be "Racist" in any way.

As Beefsteak pointed out nowadays accepted in normal language. Like your continued reference to "they", why not just say "our Asian friends" instead.!

Example, corner shop, english owned, twenty fags £6.72, our asian friends shop, £6.85 for the same product. Not a vast amount I know but it all adds up.

Anyway, as they say "you pays your money & takes your choice".

I was up there taking photographs to show the new Tesco store on Friday.

Its not in the same building as ToRH (which was also the 1960s Tesco) but further up towards the hotel.

It's 50/50 Mick. The Tesco occupies the right half of what was ToRH, and the left half of Robin Hood is still an empty shed. I go past there quite often and I've been watching them do it almost on a daily basis

And I'd forgotten, - but I remember now - that building used to be a Tesco before Robin Hood took over.

At this rate Sainsbury's will be soon be moving back into the building on Parliament Street which is now Wilko.

All we need now is for Burtons to come back into the Arcade

Unfortunately, the best bit of food nostalgia will never come back, but for anyone who remembers it.....

market-1.jpg

We had this conversation before in another thread, It got a bit heated so I removed it.

To me I consider Pakki to be similar to 'Brit' I do not know how a Pakistani person would see it.

If I were to say it It would not be in mallice.

Where it IS offensive is when it is used as a generic phrase for persons originating from that region,

ie. Indians Shri Lankhans or Sikhs etc.

And you could hardly call a Gurkha a Pakki, (Yu Wunt Dare!)

I have had some very good Sikh and Pakistani Friends and work coleagues over the years BTW.

I do not consider myself P.C. and I do not object to the phrase "pakki shop" as I'm sure it is in everyday use by those who use these premises. My concern is the qualifier "robbing overpriced" which I find provocative.

I agree with Arkwright.

Incidentally my local Coop charges 50% higher on prices of some items, compared with Tesco.

You cant tell me the coops buying power cant keep prices in line with tesco?

I agree with Arkwright.

Incidentally my local Coop charges 50% higher on prices of some items, compared with Tesco.

You cant tell me the coops buying power cant keep prices in line with tesco?

I've noticed that for years. Never understood why people go to Co-ops because they seem to be much more expensive than other places. It seems whatever you buy in a Co-op, you could get exactly the same thing somewhere else and pay less for it

There is another Tesco store being fitted out on Alfreton Road in the old YES car showrooms. The bus route I use most is the 77 and, including this one, there are at least four Tescos on the route - five if you include the one down from Angel Row which I think is just visible from the upper deck. There was a rumour that the new building on the corner of Aspley Lane and Melbourne Road was going to be let out to Tesco but maybe it fell through.

I think Arkwright is a little bitter after Granville changed his name to Del Boy and went on to become a millionaire

The boy dun good. but he went and lost it again! If he'd been from Notnum he'd still have it.

Cheers for your support on Greene King, Young 'Un, unfortunately it's people like Beefsteak, this isn't a dig Ian, who find it convenient to drink their beer as it's infiltrated into every pub, club and supermarket in the country. As I'm the person who designed the beer lines into the bottling plant 30 years ago when the company was still a local brewery, I can report that the situation remains the same, two pipelines, one for IPA, one for Abbot. The brew house is the same, so I can only think that the other so called 'real ales', like pretend Morelands, Ruddles, Ridleys and Hardy Hansons are probably bought in from a mass brewer from somewhere else, DO NOT BUY THIS RIP OFF P1$$!!!!!! and stop further take overs and reduncancies, do you really want to see every pub in the country owned by these scum, which is clearly their intention. Lets not forget, like Whitbread and Greenalls before them, they are only interested in aquiring property, like those companies, they'll pull out of the brewing business and sell off their properties for redevelopment or to the next destructive brewery con merchants that come along.

I've just had my mind made up as to where I'm going tomorrow!!

And I think I'll get a case of Old Speckled Hen in for the weekend .

cheers.gif